1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tour de France thread

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Jul 4, 2017.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Lance’s first TdF he quite because the tour was tough. He described those that race and lead the tour were beast.

2. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Broken wrist would probably be worse on the climbs/flats , they are yanking on the hoods and bars like mad for power.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Best Tour I’ve watched, so far. Love the uncertainty.

4. speedluvn

Are they really talking, and drawing it out, about break away riders, drafting off of the camera people on motorcycles filming the race? I guess a rider complained :rolleyes: and nothing else is going on.

Whats funny to me is the time it takes to hand off water bottles and other things from team car personnel and the riders.

5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I thought it was a broken thumb. Half of Cofidis out with a stomachache. Degendt is my new favorite racer. Alaphilippe is pretty cool to watch too. Always stirring shit up. I love Sagan’s interviews. He kills me! :crackup:

ducnut likes this.
  6. ton

ton Arf!

...And that, kids, is how important reading the weather forecast is. Like Bruyneel before him, Vaughters understands how to use crosswind echelons on an otherwise boring day. (Coloradans know how to be honorary Belgians)

Jedb likes this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Let me bump this along.

Continued different winner, with every stage.

First day in the mountains today was pretty good with another unexpected winner.

Unknown reasoning for rider abandonment with plenty of speculation. Seems a shame to pull the “fuck it” card without a good reason.

ITT tomorrow will surely shake up the GC standings.

8. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

You know the teams have 'scouts' that precede the peloton and give condition feedback to the team director, who relays it to the leader and so forth. There's no art to it, at all

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

And, the armchair expert has arrived. :rolleyes:

RichB likes this.
  10. speedluvn

I’m sorry but aren’t we all? I will tell you now that I have several prominent degrees from the esteemed WERA BBS Forum. :Poke:

Just don’t asked for any certificates :cool:

K51000 and ducnut like this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Derp

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Lot more knowledgeable people on a wider variety of topics than I’ve seen on any other board. Quite astounding, actually.

K51000, Newsshooter and speedluvn like this.
  13. rwdfun

rwdfun

Anyone else see Lance giving his take on the race in yesterdays coverage. I was like, when did the racing community forgive him and allow him to cover the sport again? Cheating is one thing but the intimidation and threatening aspect was something I figured might still be frowned upon. Or did he go on Oprah and all is forgiven now?

I thought it was in poor taste

ducnut likes this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was surprised with their first interview of him.

I still have huge admiration and respect for the guy, regardless.

15. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Pretty darn awesome individual time trial today!

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m watching it tomorrow and will back it up with the next stage. I’m looking forward to seeing how things shakeout from the ITT.

Awesome event by the organizers, so far.

17. speedluvn

:stupid:

18. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Just stating a fact in case it had slipped past. The more I know about the race based on actual accounts from people involved as riders, coaches, directors etc, the less pure it is revealed to be, far less than the magic made out in media. If that makes me an expert in your eyes then so be it.

It's still an awesome race and spectacle, just a bit less magical than I used to think it was.

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Don’t let all that spoil anything about the sport for ya’. Some things are better not known. If one were to let the purists run the show, they’d still be riding steel frames, wearing wool, not wearing helmets, no communication systems, no team busses, etc. Things evolve, for good or bad, no matter the sport. To me, it’s still the greatest spectacle on earth.

Initially, I let the doping scandal taint my view of cycling. But, the reality is they were ALL doping. It goes way back before Merckx and into the Coppi era or even before. Because there weren’t testing protocols available, they weren’t caught. Yet, people still worship all these old guys....and rightfully so. Lance and the rest of the modern-era dopers deserve the same admiration. They’re no less a rider. It has happened in all sports and it is what it is. Unfortunately, society has its way of selecting who gets away with stuff and who doesn’t, regardless of surrounding circumstances or field of play.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  20. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Another fantastic stage today, wow!