1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top cases / tail bags.

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, Feb 13, 2018.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I did Prudhoe this past August. Hit me up if you have any questions. I'm sure you'll have significant snow in June. You know that, yes?

I have the Givi cases on one of my bikes and hate them. I'm always trying to stuff extra stuff in them and they don't expand, duh.

I went with Enduristan soft panniers and tail bag for my Africa Twin in Europe and am totally in love with them. So nice.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Thanks, that sounds like an good option. My brother and I talked about heading west this summer but kept the option open for a trip in our own area. The MABDR may be just that. And those moskomoto bags are nice. I should have purchased them instead of the Wolfman I got.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If I were doing more serious adventure/touring stuff where gear needs would vary I'd go square case BMW style just for the ability to strap things to them easier.

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I've got their side cases on my GSXS, they're good for a semi-rigid bag but if there were more hard bag options at reasonable prices I would have gone that way. Still don't have a top case since there's so few options.

5. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Yeah. I've done my research and have spent a fair bit of time in Alaska. It boiled down to a choice between bugs or cold. We picked cold. I'll let you know if it was the right decision. :D

rd400racer likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

always been a fan of Ventura rack bags.
    Of course the closest Id come to primative camping would be crashing on a friends floor or couch...lol.
    I hate "tenting" for single night stays.

7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

If you want knock your socks off, try the KTM. The only issue I have with mine is the height. I'm 5'8", and the R models were just too tall for me to feel confident, so I got the 1190 standard model. It makes me laugh every time I ride it because of the engine, and I haven't even taken it to redline yet, since I haven't had the first service yet.

8. rd400racer

My best friend bought a 2014 1190, so I know the bike pretty well. It goes against what I'm looking for in an ADV bike. My problem is that if I have HP then I have to use it. And that's when I get in trouble. I really like the BMW 1000XR, but I'd act like an idiot and either lose my license or kill myself. I have no self control, so I've taken to buying slower bikes as a way to control the urge. I know, pathetic on my part.

Boman Forklift, baconologist and cBJr like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So you need a TW200 :D

rd400racer likes this.
  10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m a little worried about snow. Getting marooned for a week in the Alaskan wilderness makes for a good story though, so fuck it. :D

I'll definitely bug you when it gets closer. Generally, the best part about road trips is the unknown, but Alaska is a motherfucker, and it's huge. I'm thinking I need to do more preparation and education than my usual, which is approximately zero.

Boman Forklift and baconologist like this.
  11. rd400racer

Damn Sean, I think you're on to something:D

[​IMG]

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

It does suck at the time. Setting up and taking down in the cold or rain just to get a few hours of restless sleep.

It's annoying, but as far as I can tell there are two distinctly different kinds of epic trips. This applies to camping, hunting, backpacking, or motorcycle trips. One is epic while you're doing it. Usually those are the ones where all your accommodations are pristine, the weather is perfect and you're smiling a lot and having fun.

The second variety sucks colossally while it's happening. There will be multiple near death experiences, horrible weather, breakdowns, sickness, injuries, whatever. Pretty much everything goes wrong, and sometimes it takes years to laugh about it. Eventually you remember them even more fondly than the former example. That's why I pack the tent.

badmoon692008 and baconologist like this.
  13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

TW200s are cool. My buddy just bought one "for his wife". Can't believe she fell for it.

rd400racer likes this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah I wing pretty much everything too. There are a couple things that you do need to keep in mind there, though, or it will be a MF'er.

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Awesome. I'll take all the info you want to share. I don't even have a route planned yet.

16. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Those are the best!

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Don't try to make it from Coldfoot to Prudhoe and back to Coldfoot in one day. Plan on spending the night in Prudhoe. Work camp hotels are expensive, but include all meals.

Coldfoot has free camping in the grass outside the restaurant.

Make sure you keep up to date on snow at Atigun Pass, north of Coldfoot.

Make sure you have a 1 Gal fuel container. The stretch from Coldfoot to Prudhoe is the longest stretch without fuel.

Try to make the swing south to Valdez. Its spectacular and worth it.

Don't be afraid of the bears. We saw only 5 - all crossing the road ahead of us while riding - in 8,000 miles.

Don't run street tires on the Dalton Hwy. Get your street tires changed for 80/20's in Fairbanks.

Make sure you have a Canada insurance card. Your USA insurance company will mail you one for free.

Other than that, its a fairly easy trip :)

Boman Forklift and rd400racer like this.
  18. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I’m on the airliner heading to Anchorage. We leave for Prudhoe Bay on Saturday. I’ll report back if we survive. :D

cBJr, cha0s#242 and baconologist like this.
  19. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

You're doing it wrong.
    :D

20. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

I flew to Prudhoe twice back in the late 80's, I guess that is really wrong. I would like to ride there sometime.

Dan

Rising likes this.