1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tool Chest In The Trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by BHopper 5, May 15, 2007.

1. BHopper 5

BHopper 5 Well-Known Member

Ok I think I have a new question here (probably not but I'm still going to ask). How did you all mount/secure your roll away tool chest into the trailer? I have a 6x12 V Nose and I'm laying e-track this weekend. This past Christmas I received a three tower Craftsman tool chest (LOVE IT) and would like to make it removable form the trailer. It’s over kill to take to the track but moving the tolls every time is pain in the a$$. Plus having all my tool's handy is a comfort for me.

Pics would be nice also if you have them handy. :confused:

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

E-track on the wall and a tie down.

3. eurobiketrash

eurobiketrash Well-Known Member

I have two d rings mounted in the wall and use an Ancra tie down to hold in place. Unhook and roll it out.

4. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

Two things:

Etrack on the wall about 30 inches up. Then use one of those square 2x4 shelf bracket recievers on either side clicked into the E Track. They are stout enough to keep the box from rolling even if the trailer is on a hill. Then just a heavy ratchet strap during transport.

Rich

5. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Yep yep...in my box truck (last year's rig) I put in 2 lengths of E-track...one at mid-height on the bottom box, and one at mid-height on the top box. 2 tie downs, and it wasn't going anywhere.

6. :up:

7. joe617

joe617 Well-Known Member

Bolt the three boxes together then E-track and one strap.:up:

8. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

mine is even simpler.

i drilled holes through the frame of my roll-around craftsman box...and then a couple in the floor and just slip ejector pins (10" really hard steel pins...you could just use long bolts) down through the holes. no threading....no tie downs...but the holes need to be a decently tight fit.

just roll it in place...drop the two pins in....doesn't move an inch.

then to move it out....pull the two pins...throw them in the box....voila.

i've drilled a couple different locations for the box two for different configurations depending on how many bikes are in the trailer.

9. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

KEWL idea! :cool:

10. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

have to admit i stole most of the idea from james kerker and darryl nolt. i added my own variation...but it's close to theirs.

you also need to make sure that something keeps the pins straight up and down....on mine the frame of the toolbox that i drilled through is square tubing...so since it goes through two walls that are about 4" apart...that's enough leverage to keep the pin straight and the toolbox from rolling around.

11. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

hey jig, can ya post a pic of your contraption

12. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

sure. i'll be loading up today....i'll take a couple pics.

13. jimmyboost

jimmyboost one buck a boom

Where can you get etrack?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

15. joe617

joe617 Well-Known Member

bought my e-track and clips/rings from a company on Ebay.

16. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

17. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Me too...I get it all from Mackie Enterprises. Excellent prices and even better service.

18. flypigs

flypigs Cold turkey since 2003

I always stored my roll-in toolbox behind the wheelwell in the trailer, so that if I was hard on the brakes, it was the wheelwell taking most of the force, and not the tiedowns or e-track. It also was easier to move to roll down the ramp when I needed to get it out.

Pete

ps. at some point you will forget to tie it down, or it will cut loose from it's mooring. When you open the door and see that the tool box has wandered around it's a sickening feeling. Just ask Keener.

19. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

ok...so i'm loading later than planned....as always....

trailer:
    [​IMG]

4 mountin holes in floor...for 2 different positions for the box
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

holes just drilled through the floor...no nuts or anything
    [​IMG]

roll box in place
    [​IMG]

line up over the position you want
    [​IMG]

grab the ejector pins (or bolts if that's what you used) out of the tool box drawer
    [​IMG]

slip pins in place (one on each side)
    [​IMG]

20. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

:up: Tits man. :beer:

Just the way I pictured your description. This is the route I'll probably go since I didn't have much success getting wall mounted items to stay in place.