1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tool Box Organization

Discussion in 'General' started by spcassell, Jul 5, 2016.

1. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

So I finally got the bottom to my 40" tool chest and bolted them together. My next thought was what is the proper set-up/organization of this contraption. There have been endless discussions regarding trailer and bike set-up and all of the things needed for each. The only thread I could find barely touched upon items and organization. (http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/toolbox-organization.322785/#post-4654663). I know there has to be some professional mechanics on here somewhere (hopefully some AMA guys).

spin_prod_861440612.jpg

1. What order from top to bottom makes the best sense for organizing the tools?
    2. What are the tools you can't live without?
    3. Has anyone ever made a complete list of every tool and item (nuts, bolts, zip-ties, electrical connector, ets.) needed in a properly prepared tool box?
    4. With so much space do you pre-assemble any commonly crashed items/assemblies?
    5. What are the liquids (solvents, oils, sprays, etc.) that are mandatory for a racer?
    6. What other questions should I be asking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First rule - heavier on the bottom.

Sabre699 and t11ravis like this.
  3. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

this will go 10 pages.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and shit you use most often in the easiest to access drawers.

5. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

That's pretty much how mine is organized, by weight. Way easier to roll in/out of toyhauler.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

I organize my tool box by hauling it to the track and back.

Everything is mixed up exactly the same way when I come home

On a more serious note:
    1. What order from top to bottom makes the best sense for organizing the tools? weight and ACCESSIBILITY - the stuff you always need needs to be up top
    2. What are the tools you can't live without? all of them
    3. Has anyone ever made a complete list of every tool and item (nuts, bolts, zip-ties, electrical connector, ets.) needed in a properly prepared tool box? see #2
    4. With so much space do you pre-assemble any commonly crashed items/assemblies? no.
    5. What are the liquids (solvents, oils, sprays, etc.) that are mandatory for a racer? see #2
    6. What other questions should I be asking? see #2

7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Horseshit.

First rule - if there's still room, buy more tools! :D

BHP41, Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  8. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

[​IMG]

Torn7th likes this.
  9. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Wow.

10. spcassell

I hope so. This to me seems just as important as the bike and trailer threads. I would think the AMA guys have this sorted it's a question of whether anyone has the time to comment.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Someone's snap-on dealer just bought a G6...

The_R1_Kid and V5 Racer like this.
  12. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

To be clear, that's not mine. My wallet isn't that big.

13. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Not a pro mechanic, but when I raced whenever I was prepping a new race bike, I made a list of every tool I used on it. Sockets, allens, pliers, whatever. EVERY tool. Then I went to Lowe's and just bought cheap Kobalt stuff for everything on the list. Those were the tools that went into trailer toolbox. I figured that way if shit got lost or stolen it wasn't my good Snap-on, Matco or Craftsman stuff. As far as organization, that's personal preference but I put screwdrivers, ratchets and pliers up top, then sockets, then wrenches, then misc whatever. Works for me.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

15. spcassell

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Yup!

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you can shop around for the "pack" of MP T handles. I got a 1/4 & 3/8 spinning t handle, plus a plain old idle one with the standard metric sizes (8. 10, 12, 14) & the rack for about $130 shipped from Riders Discount. They all have a "lifetime" warranty too.

18. I can't work and get on with my day without:

Swivel 1/4" allen set
    Straight long Allen set
    Ball ended long Allen set
    Stubby 1/4" Allen set
    A good micrometer
    A good dial caliper
    A good volt/an meter
    Thin wrenches (pedal wrenches)
    All suspension tools (shock spring compressor, fork spring compressor, seal drivers, etc)
    Nm 3/8th torque wrench that goes down to 12nm
    k&l feeler gauges

All metric (if applicable).

This is on top of the "normal" tools.

Socket organizer I use Hansen and I use ernst for wrenches.

The_R1_Kid likes this.
  19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Broome will be along shortly to correct all of you & give you precise layouts for each drawer.

Phl218 likes this.
  20. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

My daily setup. I change a few things around when I know I'm just working on bikes. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files:

TLR67 and Torn7th like this.