1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tookie denied

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by RGV 500, Dec 12, 2005.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Glad to see you sharing your standards, so a shitbag getting executed is 'on par' in your book as military personnel dying and helpless victims of a fatal disease? Nice! :down:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It could have been funny, but it went over the line.
    The sentiment is valid, though.

Wonder if Sean Penn ever shows up at the home of a murder victim to see if he can be of some assistance with their bills or dealing with the pain and emotional turmoil.

Somehow I doubt it.

3. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Williams was a despicable and horrible human being for most of his life. But making fun of anyone being put to death is tricky business. Usually it just comes off as callous and inhumane.

4. Speaking of callous and inhumane...repeated exposure to something horrific removes the horror, and makes it mundane.

Public executions in England were abolished in 1869 because they had become nothing more than a form of entertainment for most people.

Public executions in the US were finally abolished in 1936, for the same reason.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

This information appears to contradict the position that many in the entertainment business have about the impact of their product.

6. How do you figure? Forty-five years ago, all it took to terrify movie-goers was an above-the-chest shot and dark liquid running down a shower drain, only hinting at carnage and gruesomeness. Now, after countless Hollywood horror and slasher flicks, it takes major blood and gore to even keep the audience's interest.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The folks in the motion picture (and video game) bidness claim their product does not have an impact on our tolerance for violence. I am agreeing with you.

8. I understand now. Thanks for clarifying.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I honestly think they're partially right. Video games are not reality and the first time you get hit in reality by another person you realize it's different.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Partly right still allows that they are partly wrong. Hitting is one thing, reaching out to touch someone with a gun provides a bit of of a disconnect. Differency is that, unlike Jason, there is no return for a sequel.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True. Just not sure how much of the gunplay is because of video games or just normal peer pressure. I lean more towards the societal influences over the entertainment industry. After all, when's the last time a D&D player chopped up someone with a sword?

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Don't know. I would wager it probable that at least one Grand Theft Auto junkie has gone beyond the video version.

13. Earlier this year, in Pennsylvania.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah? Dayum.

I can see the game et al influencing some kids, the Columbine shooter types as an example. But that's still such a small minority of killers as to be non-existant. I still think it's more the environment of helplessness and hoplessness they grow up in.