1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too tall--Raise seat?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Vstate60, May 16, 2013.

1. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

I'm 6'3 275 and have been noticing a problem getting bigger as I've gotten faster. I've got my BP to where I don't put any weight on the bars mid-corner, but because of the cramped position, in relation to the angle of which my knees are bent, I'm having to use the bars too much to move side to side and to even go from toe-heel-toe when down/up shifting. I just lowered my vortex rear sets on my 06 750 to the lowest, most forward setting and while it helped its no cure all.
    Now I'm wondering do I build up the seat, and if so, how? Or do I grab one of those adjusted base plates off eBay they sell to lower the entire mounting point of the rear sets an inch or so? Obviously I want to steer clear from ground clearance issues but I definitely need some more room. What does the almighty beeb techies say?

2. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

My hip problems forced me to look for a similar solution on the exact same bike. I simply built up the race seat using multiple layers of those play mats you can get from Home Depot. In my case an extra 2.5" of this very firm seat foam did the trick. You will have to build the seat onto the race tail section since that much foam will be too thick to bend onto the fiberglass once it's all glued together. If you PM me an email address I can send a couple of images.

3. nzracer

nzracer New Member

I am around 6'1 and have found that I prefer a taller seating position but you might want to consider a harder material to build up the seat or some way of putting spacers under the existing one. I find a harder seat gives you more feel for what the back of the bike is doing, which is obviously a good thing.

4. Vstate60

I like both suggestions but remember I'm on a Superbike tail so I've just got seat foam on it now. So do I just keep piling seat foam on top of my seat foam? Anyone got a link to some material you've built yours' up with?

5. Vstate60

Bumpasaurus-Rex

6. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Use the same style seat foam you used before, 3M spray adhesive to join the layers. I've made one up to 2" inches once, rounded the edges with a belt sander. Dude was 6'7" and very happy at that point.

7. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Also consider moving the tail to the rear to get more room behind you.

8. Vstate60

Great ideas. I found some harder material than the normal seat foam at Target, I think it was made for putting in a lawn chair or something for old farts.

I do have the tail moved back as far as it can go.

9. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Buy some proper seat foam. Pre-cut shapes are actually reasonable. Using Yoga mats may work, i've done it, but it is a pain in the ass. LOL, I made a funny.

10. malik ross

malik ross Waits for his asskicking.

Buy the universal seat foam from ht-moto and build up your own seat. I had to do that because of inseam lenght too.