1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too many goddamn classes?

Discussion in 'General' started by troll, Feb 15, 2002.

1. troll

troll Well-Known Member

Would it not make sense for the AMA to cut down on the number of classes run over a AMA Superbike weekend? Why do they have to run six different classes, why not cut it down to three. Grand Prix and World Superbike currently run only three classes per race.
    An AMA weekend almost looks like GP racing in 70's (50,125,250,350,500 and sidecar!)But then again, does AMA Pro Racing make any sense at all?

[This message has been edited by troll (edited 02-15-2002).]

2. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Didn't we run you off already?

3. troll

troll Well-Known Member

"we"?

4. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

At the risk of fueling the fire....being a troll is good and all, but please don't put G-dam in your subjects. I have no desire to see that, and unlike a good debate with opposing views, I take offense to it.

Thanks.

Tex

Mongo-any chance you could change the title for me?

5. troll

troll Well-Known Member

I agree with you Tex, but I don't think I can change it, sorry. (Mongo, please get rid of the gd word -Troll)

6. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Thanks for saying that, Tex. I can't stand hearing or seeing that either. Mongo might change it later, but he's probably in a rib & beer-induced coma about now. [​IMG]

7. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

I agree with you Tex, but I don't think I can change it, sorry. (Mongo, please get rid of the gd word -Troll)
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks Troll, you're alright for a troll. [​IMG]

8. troll

troll Well-Known Member

Well, life is tough when you are 3 foot tall, got a big nose and told you are ugly.
    I guess I'm suffering from "short man syndrome, or Napolean syndrome [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by troll (edited 02-16-2002).]

9. troll

troll Well-Known Member

So Tex, what do you think about the topic then?

10. Pam_G

Pam_G Banned

What does it matter, if you aren't racing at an AMA event? As a spectator, I think it's more bang for the buck!

------------------
    Pam_G
    aka Blonde Ambition Racer
    aka GS Jockey, member GS Posse
    NESBA #233
    CCS #233

11. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

I like the idea of more classes. A lot of them are stepping stone classes for riders. If you take away support spots, you'll get more guys jumping into the fire unprepared in my opinion. It would be like if WERA took out Novice classes, and had everyone run together...what a mess. [​IMG]

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Tex, at the AMA level, you're not supposed to be learning how to find lines on a racetrack. If you're not ready to go, stay with WERA or CCS. Personally, I think too many pro classes dilutes the talent and the competitiveness. If you can have 3 well-chosen classes with smart rules, you can built a great show. Football games last 3.5 hours. Why does a racing event have to last all day? All you'll end up doing with multiple support classes is give people more time to walk around and buy food. I don't think the level of fan interest is the same across half a dozen classes.

Do I think the AMA can do that, structure an intelligent racing series? Not likely. First things first: separate racing from fighting for people's right to ride cruisers without helmets. The AMA shouldn't be in the business of running races.

The "change from within" battle is a flawed concept. John, Kevin and Jeff will probably help make things better, but it will never be good. Not so long as a minority of racing-license holders try to impose their view on hundreds (?) of thousands of members who don't give a hoot about racing. It's a special-interest group within a special-interest group. As a racer, I'll support the reform effort as the best alternative we currently have. But that won't change the fact that running the show from within can only be a start to the effort. Eventually, only a total separation will lead to rational decisions being made when shaping racing series.

Damn, how did I turn this into a "kill the AMA" response?

13. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Point taken Papa, I guess I answered because I was asked.

Here is how I really feel about AMA racing.

I couldn't care less about anything the AMA does, says, or how passionate those who oppose them are.

I'm a slow club racer, and my only association with AMA racing is tuesday nights on speedvision. [​IMG]

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's why you should care. So you can keep having stuff to watch on Tuesday night!

btw as far as classes that should be retained: Superbike, 600 SS and turn FXetreme into an "Open Supersport" class based on SS rules. Kill off the Suzuki Cup (a.k.a. 750SS), 250 GP and Pro Thunder. Do not allow Superbike racers to compete in either supersport series on the same weekend. Make every superbike race a double-header.

Papa for President! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Papa Thiam (edited 02-17-2002).]

15. OWEN L. REID

OWEN L. REID Well-Known Member

Don't you mean... "and my only association with AMA racing USED TO BE tuesday nights on speedvision"???

Just ignore me, I'm just trying to niggle at the NASCAR fans!!! Silly me!!!

16. troll

troll Well-Known Member

Roger that Papa. It's kinda weird that this topic didn't get more responses, what I understand is that the avarage WERA racer doesn't really give a shit about the national superbike series, and seem more interested in NASCAR crap. Also, we shouldn't look at this as enthusiasts, hell I don't care if Nicky or Mat won, when I go to a National I stay in the paddock and look at the bikes and stuff. Who we really need to think about is the average Joe, not ourselves, hell we already know this sport rules. If our sport is ever going to progress we need to look what "Joe" wants and not what "we" want.
    And finally, thanks Papa for bringing some intelligent thinking to this topic, instead of whining about some friggin wording used in this topic.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Formula One is the most successful (in terms of TV audience) motorsport in the world, and they only promote the main event. It is the focus of their effort, and probably has something to do with its immense success. Nobody cares about, promotes, or watches the support Formula 3000 series.

Troll, you're bashing NASCAR and their fans, but they're doing what you want motorcycle racing to be: on Sunday, there's only one series that count at the Winston Cup track that weekend. They either run Bush on Saturday, or at another track. The Focus is on the Winston Cup.

18. troll

troll Well-Known Member

Yea, I guess I'm jealous of the success of NASCAR. I guess we can compare the success of NASCAR here with the success of road racing in Spain and Italy. My thinking is that even if we are never going to see road racing being a mainstream sport here in the US, it should be more popular than lawnmower racing!

19. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

Hey Papa,

I have to disagree with you on this one. It is a totally different game. Having classes like 750SS and PT are good "stepping stones" classes. I agree with having 5 or 6 classes with 1 or 2 as "entry-level" classes.

JU is fighting for Thursday practice because of the impact to the new rider/privateer. There are enough things going on, having to start in the 600SS or S/B is not the way to start it off.

Until there is enough money/TV to justify this proposed move (class reduction), then the privateer racer will still be showing up in his/her pick-up trying to compete and enabling the AMA (or Clear Channel in the future) to put on a good show.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

RenMan, JU can still fight for Thursday practice if there are 3 classes: the privateers would be running in the supersport classes. They'd still need him to fight for them.

And really, is the ProThunder class a stepping stone? I can't imagine Ducati giving Tom Montano a Superbike ride next year. Rich Oliver, Chuck Sorensen, Jimmy Filice... Those classes (PT, 250) are mostly ends to themselves. How long before 250 dies for good anyway? I doubt the FIM will keep 2-strokes as support classes to MotoGP for long.

[This message has been edited by Papa Thiam (edited 02-18-2002).]