1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To everyone that buys motorcycles..........

Discussion in 'General' started by Cam Morehead, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Either buy it used knowing you need to disassemble it and go over every inch of the bike OR buy a new bike and build it yourself.

BTW, I typically just buy new bikes.... But occasionally buy used and allow time and money to take it apart and go through it. Example, I bought an R6 with spares. The suspension alone was worth half what I paid for it.... Guess what, I found a few things that needed attention...

masshole, dsmitty37, MELK-MAN and 5 others like this.
  2. I would like to think there are a few exceptions to that rule. :)

3. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I think with every used bike (anything with an engine) you have to be aware it can go boom at any time. Also, if the bike supposedly has x, y, and z for parts and you don't have the time or expertise to inspect it then again buyer beware. There are shops that have solid reputations for a reason (Ken/GMD, Livengood, etc) 10 minutes of searching on here will highlight a few that don't...

I have sold lots of stuff used and I try to set the bar lower than what it probably is to help avoid buyer remorse or any potential issues.

BigBird likes this.
  4. Cam Morehead

Another observation...... If you trade your truck in at a dealership and have custom wheels, tires, stereo, flat bed, light bars, seats, tint, etc.... they will not give you any additional for your vehicle. It is still a Chevrolet 3500 in their eyes. I said that to say this, leave money in the bank to fix, repair, replace stuff on the bike.

And yes, there are exceptions to the rule. I am one of the people that sells a bike in the best possible condition I can. If I buy a bike from Chip or JU, I would not question the condition either. That being said, these are RACE bikes..... I have had failures on my own bikes I built myself.... It is a mechanical thing with lots of moving parts....

dsmitty37 and Gorilla George like this.
  5. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Used for price. I enjoy going through stuff and doing work on them. There are limits and the price point has to be right for the level of work I'm expecting to need to do.

You may be greeted with a few surprises along the way but if you check the most major things (it runs, no frame cracks, no visible form damage, no milky oil, it shifts, etc... I think most major issues can be avoided.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Cam Morehead likes this.
  6. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

I bought my 2014 ZX10R already built and until I took it apart and put it back together it never really felt like "my bike"

7. EngineNoO9

I agree with that but it being built already helps ease the pain if your throw it down the track. Totaling my RC51 that I did everything to hurt much worse than the gsxr 750 I got that already had everything. Mostly it was the $$$$ signs I saw when I had to lift it onto my trailer because it wouldn't roll.

The other option is find a stock used un molested bike to convert. Still save money on initial purchase but get your satisfaction of building the bike.

I'm all for typically avoiding other peoples projects when it comes to vehicles of any type as fixing other people's problems annoys me. But I'm also for saving money....

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

sometimes you have secondary sellers that try to use those noted Pros coat tails as part of their pitch.

Honestly there are enough competent shops out there that specialize in roadracing that paying a couple hours for a once over by a non-biased pro, is worth every penny & then some.

9. Cam Morehead

I have seen horrible repairs on stock bikes also.... Even taking the fairings off don't reveal all hidden treasures.... Example, if you lay an R6 on its side while it is running, you will starve it for oil.....

wrlamkin likes this.
  10. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

And usually, a call to these shops can help verify any claims seller may be making. Pretty sure Ken keeps a file on all the stuff he works on.

TurboBlew and Cam Morehead like this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

what if it has carrillos?

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

A course of penicillin should do the trick

Phl218 likes this.
  13. EngineNoO9

This is why you have to be careful. Typically there would be signs of it tipping over. Plus a stock r6 would shut off from its tip sensor. Have to be willing to gamble a little but use common sense on certain bikes to avoid and when a bike has been abused or not.

14. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

and don't be a big pussy
    pick up a fucking phone, more than once if need be, to resolve issues during the transaction.
    get shit in WRITING once a deal is struck
    take pictures, yourself

dsmitty37, TurboBlew and Sabre699 like this.
  15. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

^ nailed it.

only thing i have to add is be sure to get two witnesses signatures.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

excellent idea. Just not sure if serious, or not so serious... lol

17. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

guess we could go all old school and use thumbprints to "seal the deal" instead?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

Wax seal with the family Crest

19. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Brazilian wax , with DNA evidence still attached :D

20. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

a blood covenant. the wax and/or thumbprints were always red. red ink still has a special significance.