1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire Warmers on the Grid

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by punchsponge, Oct 16, 2012.

1. punchsponge

punchsponge Well-Known Member

This may be a stupid question, but here goes:
    I've got a buddy racing a CBR250R in the KMF Roadracing series here in South Korea at the track in Youngam, (you just saw it if you watch F1), in two weeks and we're a little confused about what we should do for tire warmers out on the grid. Our warmers are single temp, cheap, and run off the standard 220V we've got here in Korea. Bikes sit on the grid for a looong time here, like fifteen minutes, prior to the warm-up lap to accommodate photos with the paddock girls, purposeless milling around, etc. So is the best bet to just slap the warmers on without a power source and rely upon residual heat + insulation, or is there something I’m missing. BTW: Many thanks for humoring a new guy.

2. MCoop

MCoop Trackhead Motorsports

What about a portable gas powered generator?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Either just keep the heat in or as MCoop said, bring out a small generator.

4. punchsponge

Yeah, we're a little too low-budget right now to buy a generator just for this purpose - especially since they supply us with pits at both tracks, so I guess the question seems like it's one of timing and heat retention. Having run a few track days and raced little YSRs, it seems like tires stay sticky for at least ten minutes, but I don't know a darn thing about how long unplugged tire warmers will stay, what above 120F?, or at least warm to the touch. So it is definitely worth the effort to wrap the tires on the grid with unplugged warmers? Historically my buddy qualifies around fifth, but with a motocross background that is pretty unique on this continent starts such that he's first or second going into the first turn... Ah, hell, any recs for a cheap, purpose-specific generator? :) thanks again for your time.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Genset - Honda 1k invertor type. Light, quiet, worth the extra money.

On the warmers - I'd think since you'll still do a warmup lap after sitting that as long as you retain most of the heat you'll be fine. The core won't lose a lot and the surface will be warmer than the tire warmer temp after the warmup anyway.

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Don't know about warmers, but that track did not look bike-friendly.

7. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

8. punchsponge

Thanks, we're on it - maybe even a $950 generator somewhere down the road - though I'm not having much luck with a search for the cozies. Would be helpful for sure because it will probably be into the 45-65F days by Nov 4. As for the track we run, it's only about 1/3 of the F1 circuit and we stay off the long straight. Think mini-straight, tight left, right, left, up the hill, long left-short right, big-fun-sweeping camber turn, left-right, back to the straight. Plenty of run off, perfect asphalt, big fun... at lest for a newbie like me who has only been on four tracks, total. Thanks again...

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Great to hear. Some of that Armco looked brutal.

10. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

how is the KMF series? decent turnout of racers? good talent?

Don't recall I have ever seen a South Korean on a grid anywhere outside of SK. definitely cool that they have a series!

11. Seeley

Seeley Well-Known Member

Once you find out who you're gridded next to, see if you can get power off their genset.

12. JLUnlimited

JLUnlimited Future hopeful For MotoAmerica

This just my opinion but if you are going to be standing on the grid for more then 5 mins I would say warmers would be in effect because for wind dropping the temp. down not just in the tired but like other people said the rim will cool down the tire also . .

So you are fighting two battles not just one . . Ultimately it will be up to the organization to decide, If there are a string of cold tire crashes and cold tire tears from the tires then the organization will need to re-think the starting procedures . . .