1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire rack mount in toy hauler?

Discussion in 'General' started by dickie doo, Mar 8, 2016.

1. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

So, I see a bunch of photos of everyone's tire racks mounted in their trailers, but I'm wondering if anyone has a tire rack like the one below mounted in their trailer/toy hauler?

My fear is that it will pull out of the metal studs with the weight of the tires and the bouncing of the trailer. Even if I use stainless self-taping metal screws will this thing hold?

The last thing I want is the tires, rack and wall coming down onto the race bikes on my way to the track.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Subscribed!

3. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Load capacity 400 lbs. so unless you don't secure it to the wall well it's not going anywhere. I'd use a small ratchet strap on the front to make sure the wheels and tires aren't popping out and crashing down on stuff.

4. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

For the heavy wall mount items in our trailer, we used 1/2" carriage bolts with large washers from the outside to distribute the pressure. Then it is just a matter of properly sealing the holes. For our tire rack to fall, the whole wall is coming down.

dickie doo likes this.
  5. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

FWIW the only thing Ive ever had pull out of a wall was when self-tappers broke. Now I use #12 sheet metal screws for anything heavy even though it means I need to drill pilot holes.

Ive seen several trailers with these installed. Just screw into every wall stud available along width.

6. dickie doo

That's what I was thinking. I' trying to avoid back plating the mount like 5axis did as I don't love the idea of drilling into the exterior of the hauler.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I used the pit posse one with the supplied with self tappers. I thought the same way as you and didn't have any issue. I could actually sit on the rack and it was solid. I had spare mounted wheels up there too with no issues, rotors and all. You could always get flat stock too and span across more studs, then mount the rack to the flat stock.

dickie doo likes this.
  8. dickie doo

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing you were about the flat stock. I can easily weld the rack to the flat stock and gain more security.

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If you have a welder why would you buy that rack? Looks pretty damn simple to fab, then you can make it the exact dimensions you want (without the added flex of the telescoping feature shown). I can't weld, so I'm making mine out of wood (sides) with some kind of tubing for cross members.

10. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Most toy haulers (mine included) have electric powered bunk beds. I put a sheet of plywood down in the bed, with some long carriage bolts sticking up. Lower the bed, place the carriage bolt through the axle of the wheels, use a wide piece of aluminum or big washer, and tighten with a wing nut. Ta-da...tire holder. I have 2 sets of wheels and put my pan cake air compressor on there with room to spare.

I am not a fan of totally modifying a toy hauler and limiting my resale possibility when I am ready to sell it/trade it in.

MELK-MAN and omatter34 like this.
  11. Wheel Bearing

Or, just use the Pit Bull tire-tree thingy and ratchet strap it down.

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I also use my drop down bunk to store my spare tires/wheels.

MELK-MAN and Gorilla George like this.
  13. dickie doo

Because it would cost more to fab one up in steel, and my time. But I see your point. I probably wouldn't go with the telescoping model, as it will have more flex as you noted.

Yeah, the previous owner didn't get the bed option in the back, so it's just wide open space. Hence me wanting to add some racks. I'm also trying to modify it less, so I can easily remove the racks when/if it's sold.

14. Wheel Bearing

I'd have the same concern as you as far as the weight of tires/wheels and the wall studs. Is floor space that much of a premium that you need to get it up off the floor? Probably a dumb question, since I'm assuming it is and that's why you're asking, so let me ask you this: If you did mount that massive tire holder there, can you make use of that dead space below it? Can you mount it high enough in the garage that you could still fit a bike under it?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The wall studs will hold it no problem - keep in mind a lot of the force isn't pulling at the top mounting points but pushing on the lowers ones.

16. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

Because physics?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mostly :D

18. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I've considered mounting a few small things to the walls, but wasn't sure of the best way to find the "studs" and guarantee that I got the middle of them. It woukd suck if I ended up with a bunch of useless holes or run one through the outside of the Hauler. Suggestions? Is there any kind of "normal" spacing on these things?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Stud finder. On some you can look underneath and see where they are too.

20. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

I use my drop down bed for that, i don't trust the weight on the walls, esp not on the outer walls, that gel coat can spider easily and then you have to worry about delamination, maybe on the wall on the inside (if you have a separate garage similar to mine)