1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire balance question

Discussion in 'General' started by sportracer07, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Hey, look on the bright side as there could’ve been fix a flat in there too.

JBowen33 likes this.
  2. Just the Suzuki factory team, but only on certain weekends and only in race 2.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

:crackup:

I posted this in hope that my sarcasm was blatantly oblivious lol

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I moved someone at CMP to the back of the line when those beads fell all over the machine and damned near jammed the jaws of the machine up.... funny thing was was the dumbass wanted to save and re use them...

5. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Not sure if sarcastic or brilliant :confused:

6. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

When they first came out, i asked Brub at the track, he gave me the side stink eye and said
    "don't fuckin' put anything in our tires except air"...

TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I run Dyna Beads in my Jeep's over-sized tires.

A few things I can point out from that ongoing experience that may lead you to rethink the idea of using balancing beads in a track bike's tires:
    - It takes a bit of speed before the beads start to do their job. The slower you go, the less they work. The threshold seems to be somewhere around 35-40mph depending on tire diameter, below which they serve no function. (Not really a big deal on a track bike as there are few, if any, "slow" turns on a track.)
    - Lateral forces, like a turn, upsets the balance as the beads start to ride up the side of the tires inner sidewall. It then takes a moment to reacquire the balance you've upset once you straighten out. (Sounds like an issue for a bike, too...unless you ride like Christian Sarron - totally upright - but even then, you're distorting the tire's carcass and causing the beads to shuffle.)
    - The act of braking completely and immediately throws it out of whack as they are now just spinning around inside the tire from their own momentum, as slight as it is cuz they don't really weigh a lot, but there's a lot of 'em. Collectively, they act like a liquid. (Lotsa braking on a track, usually from a high speed. The slightest touch of the brakes will send the beads off on their own. I don't want an unbalanced front tire when I'm whoain' down from a buck fiddy, askin' the forks to deal with the oscillation AND throwin' it into a turn.)
    - Bumps and/or hard hits to the tire from irregularities in the pavement immediately upsets the beads and, in the interim, they do not rebalance until the oscillations from that hit have subsided. (I can't think of a single track whose surface is so smooth as to be characterized as glass everywhere.)
    - There's a recommended amount of beads per tire based on tire size. That's a ballpark figure. Too little, they can't do their job; too much, they won't do a good job as the beads fight each other for position. Add in the difference in size and weight between tire MFGs, even of the same numerical size, and you have some testing to do. (Isn't there enough to worry about just gettin' tire PSI correct in the short amount of practice time? Granted, once you figure out the "magic number of beads" and don't change tire size or brand, you're good...or are you? Are your slicks designed to contain solid matter while spinning at a buck fiddy?)
    - Accelerating. Lots of that. The beads are completely unable to meet their intended purpose while doing so. Once a set speed has been reached, the beads take their places. (Not once, never, no how, have I ever set a track bike to "cruise". On top of that, who wants unbalanced tires as they accelerate to Mach speeds?)

Combine all these effects on a track tire, or in the twisties, and you have a recipe for inhibited tire performance and the subsequent, unwanted handling characteristics.
    I can't address the effect of beads on a tire at triple digit speeds. (Not sure if my Jeep is that capable...and I don't want to find out. :D)

Why do I use 'em in the Jeep's tires? They only do a "good enough" job, but the main reason is...I can have the wheels/tires packed with mud/snow/debris that I didn't completely wipe off after coming off the trail, hit the street, and not have hundreds of pounds of rotating masses tryin' to dance like they're havin' a seizure.

Why do long-haul touring bikes like 'em? They generally run higher tire pressures for longevity (less tire deflection) and constant highway speeds (very little variation in speeds). If they have a roadside flat, there's no having to consider rebalancing after they complete the repair which may be as simple as a plug, which alters the balance of the tire. So, touring? It's a completely different dynamic than track or even twisties riding. Might even go so far as to say there's no dynamics involved. So, sure, why not Dyna Beads? They make a lot sense for that application. Same reasons long-haul trucks use dynamic balancers to great effect.

As everyone else here seems to be saying concerning the use of balancing beads in a track tire for a variety of other reasons,
    just...don't.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    K51000 likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the hours it will take to achieve such a task will be hilariously longer than trying to keep a show quality finish on the wheels.

9. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

After a little research on these, you greatly reinforced why never I never tried them on my never ending twisty hunting street bike.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Glad to be of service. :beer:

The beads are "activated" by centrifugal force. Accelerations/decelerations, jarrings, deflections - these forces are all accelerations in various directions and examples of centripetal forces that work to counter the centrifugal force. (Both forces use the same equation but their effects are in opposite directions.)

It takes a couple seconds for the beads to achieve a balance, provided the centripetal forces cease. With the amount of variable and constant application of these forces relative to a tire/wheel combination, including the centrifugal force, the balance is in constant flux. It's probably more on point to say that, in a dynamic scenario, true balance is never achieved and the bead's efforts to achieve any balance is always disrupted.

Beads have a niche where their performance is acceptable. This here ain't that there. :D

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

12. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Any of my customers that want Pirellis mounted they got from you over the winter (or whenever) get the beads mixed with Slime. Good balance, good sealing properties, win win.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I played around with that Ride On sealant. Also with Stans tire sealant. Would not do it on a tire operated on a closed course.
    Street bikes & scooters. One fella was having a constant leak. Cleaned the bead, replaced the valve stem, even dunked it in a tub of water with 60psi in it. Tire wasnt that old either... of course a new tire would have been ideal but the fella was in a pickle. Threw a cup of stans in it... he never had anymore leaks.
    The Rideon stuff I saw a grom rider get a nice nail in the center and that stuff sealed up the puncture nicely. If you ride every day it wont really settle. Puts a nice layer on the tire. Kind of expensive though... like $13/tire. Would accomplish OPs mission...maybe.

14. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

I was being sarcastic.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy