1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire balance question

Discussion in 'General' started by sportracer07, Dec 13, 2018.

1. sportracer07

sportracer07 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I just got my rims back from being painted. I normally run stick on weights, but I really dnt wanna mess up the awesome paint job. I run dyna balance beads in my street bike, but does anyone run them in there slicks on the track?? Would the extra heat affect them? Would they work at track speeds?

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

[​IMG]

3. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Put some tape on the rim, then affix the wheel weights to the tape. Then use colored duct tape to cover it all up and keep the weights from flying off.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Just whack it with a tire iron and get over it ya nancy. :D The double sided stick on weights aren't going to hurt the paint, and the adhesive comes off fine with a little heat and maybe some goo gone if you're going to be particular about it.

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Tell your tire guy your running those shitty snake oil beads before he changes your tires.... use stick weights and be done with it...

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

or see if you can zero balance the wheel. Or put the weights on the inside!

8. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

NOOOO don’t tell the tire guy you have beads... they love those beads.. think of it like a surprise birthday confetti celebration every time you get a tire change. Also take chain lube and spray the rim down completely before you give it to them helps them get a good grip on the wheel so it doesn’t slip and scratch it.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. First of all, look in the mirror. Point to the person in the mirror. Tell them from now on you will do things the correct way.

Put some proper weights on the bike. Use colored duct tape over the weights if that’s what you are worried about. Repeat after and if needed between tires changes. Just take the old weights off carefully and you will be fine. I’d be more worried about all the other scratches.

10. But make sure you add dirt and dust in that mixture too :)

metricdevilmoto and JBowen33 like this.
  11. JBowen33

Thats a given duh.

Oh not to mention to really get in your tire guys good side and to be a “preferred” customer... Don’t read the tire pressure board... you have to ask them regardless. Then haggle about price (again another given) and just tell them your cousin can get the tires 50 bucks cheaper from some online site with free shipping. During your encounter if they give you suggestions ignore them and then google for the right answer on here. Also if you ask them their opinion on something and they give you information IGNORE them at all costs and do whatever idea you had planned in the first place.

That being said do it the proper way and get stick on weights.

12. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

After I read this I had a vision of Chris Maguire shot-putting an R6 rear rim all the way across the Thunderhill pit area.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  13. JBowen33

Probably not enough chain lube on the wheel so it slipped out of his hands.

14. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

...immediately before the Pirelli tent exploded into a fireball visible from space.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

If the balance beads did what they claimed to do don't you think the tire industry would suggest using them?

16. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

[​IMG]

Odilup likes this.
  17. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You horrible monster.

JBowen33 likes this.
  18. metricdevilmoto

Oh, you doubled down on it, huh?

19. metricdevilmoto

Isn't that what they use in WSBK?

zrx12man likes this.
  20. metricdevilmoto

I made a customer sweep up tire beads around the tire machine in the shop once.

Once.

[insert Johnny Dangerously/Joe Piscopo meme here that's obviously hilarious]

backbone and stk0308 like this.