1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiptronic Automatic or a Manual?

Discussion in 'General' started by E=MC2, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh wait, it was in 2007 in the Walmart parking lot driving a Volvo 242 station wagon, wasn't it? Was your mom in the passenger seat or did you sneak the car out?

2. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

Audi TT at the audi school on the skidpad. You step on the gas and the front wheels lose grip, you can counter steer to prevent or minimalize oversteer and it's pretty smooth, but with understeer you have to back off the throttle considerably to throw some weight on the front wheels. Front wheel drive is not a good racing design because it overloads the front wheels' traction capabilities with throttle and steering inputs.

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Don't shoot down his dreams, Dave! :D

4. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Maybe it was a shopping cart at Wal-Mart, those things push like crazy. :D

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

"You can moderate understeer with the throttle very effectively, oversteer not so much."
    Frank, you probably can. Nick, on the other hand has mad drivin' skillz born of decades of top level competition and doesn't need any advice from us...

(Besides, he's read up on this subject, too...)

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sorry Darrin, I'll be good from now on. :D

Hey Nick, you priced out the costs of trackdaying or racing a cage? It's Waaaaaayyyyyy cheaper than racing your Moriwaki MH80. You should get the RX8 AND maybe an MX5!!!! You'll be in F1 with in a month.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Grand Turismo 3, crusty old man. :Poke:

8. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

read my above post. Why would you want to make the front tires responsible for both acceleration and turning? there is only so much traction the tires can provide. Why unevenly balance it? I don't see why I'm trying to argue this point when it's been well proven that RWD cars perform better on the track.

9. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

Why are you guys such asses?

10. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

around $150-$200 per trackday, no cage required, I'll probably wear through some tires not sure how badly though. what is wrong with you? I'm not even old enough to drive F1.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why not get a plain car and if you insist upon racing 4 wheels, get a kart? Or get an RX8 and prove we're all stupid. Either way, it isn't any skin off my ass.

12. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

first, I don't need proof that you're all stupid. second, there is just something about cars that I like more than karts, maybe suspension? :)

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You driven either hard?

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Are you under the impression that karts have no suspension?

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He won't be answering that.

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Isn't he a little young to be suffering such short-term memory loss?

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's them fumes he keeps breathing in.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Hey, punk - NickCesar is gone too. Don't push your luck.

19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

While the RX8 isn't the best racecar or autocrosser out there, they turn very good lap times on a real track. There are a couple guys that run them out here at MMP and love them on the track. The chassis and braking are very hard to top.
    That said, I won't be taking ours to the track any time soon. Or ever.
    But, of all the two (well, it reall isn't a two door) door coupes out there that we test drove in the buying process, it is the only one that handles like a car should.
    I wouldn't have bought it for me, not even close, but again my wife really likes it so that's where the check was written.

20. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

If you are serious about auto-crossing and track days stay away from the automatic. The transmission will up shift automatically when you get close to the rev limiter, slow on the downshifts and usually won't let you get the lower gear until you have over slowed the car.