1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiptronic Automatic or a Manual?

Discussion in 'General' started by E=MC2, Jan 13, 2007.

1. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

My real answer to this question will probably be whichever is cheaper, but how good/bad are the tiptronic automatics? It drops the horsepower from 232->212, but it would be nice/practical to be able to put it in D and not have to worry about messing with a clutch or anything. If I find a manual for the same price I'd get it though.

2. 418

418 Expert #59

Tiptronic's are for wannabe's.

Learn how to drive a proper car, son.

3. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

i'd get a manual if i find one for the same price, my post was more like "if I have to, how bad will it be?"

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

What car? Kinda sounds like the RX8?

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Didn't know Miatas came with tiptronic. Did Audi buy Mazda last week?

6. Baldrick

Baldrick I blackflagged no. 808!

What he said.

If you can't drive a car with manual transmission, you don't know how to drive.

And I'll give you some good advice: don't date girls who can't drive a car with a stick shift, no matter how hot they are.

7. Tiptronic shifters suck, unless you are talking about a true f1 style paddle shift on a Ferrari or BMW M6.

8. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I had the tip tranny on my '90 C2, and I loved it. It worked great for Atlanta traffic. Much more reliable than the manual 5 speed with it's flywheel issues.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They are completely different animals, though. The tiptronic started out as an automatic gearbox. BMW and Ferrari gearboxes are sequential manual gearboxes. IIRC

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How about you buy something that runs well, you leave it alone so it continues to run well and learn to drive? The world doesn't need another R-typed chucklehead zooming around and rear ending everything else on the road.

11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Like a DaveK-car...

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nah, like a Civic with a 5 speed and no 5" diameter exhaust sticking out of the ass end of the car.

13. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

It is, I needed something with 4-seats. Top Gear rates it very highly and it ran the same time as an M3 and a 350z on their track.

I found one today I can get for 13k, grey, two-tone black and tan leather interior, but it's automatic. Everything about it is what I want, except for the automatic transmission. Maybe I'll find a manual for 13k.

Also, I plan to do trackdays and some autocross with this car, not be some retard with a bee hive exhaust acting stupid.

14. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

It is, I needed something with 4-seats. Top Gear rates it very highly and it ran the same time as an M3 and a 350z on their track.

I found one today I can get for 13k, grey, two-tone black and tan leather interior, but it's automatic. Everything about it is what I want, except for the automatic transmission. Maybe I'll find a manual for 13k.

Also, I plan to do trackdays and some autocross with this car, not be some retard with a bee hive exhaust acting stupid.

and i'm not getting any damn front-wheel drive :Puke: car.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Nick, you'll probably find that the local AXers with Civic's run better PAX times than the No-Bottom-End RX8...

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I figured as much.
    I bought my wife one back in July. It is an '06, and she wanted an automatic. I've maybe driven it all of 300 miles or so of the maybe 5,000 it has on it, and few of that in the shifting mode, but it works.
    Then again, the '06 auto is a six speed and completely different than the prior model four speeds. I didn't like the automatic in the '05 at all.
    Not my cup of tea as a car overall, but my wife loves it. The rear doors are cool, though. It actually has enough leg room in the back seats for me to sit back there semi-comfortably, and I'm 6'2".
    The chassis and brakes are excellent, you know exactly what the car is doing, and it handles exceptionally well.
    It has no balls at all until you rev it up, but once it's moving it is fairly fun to drive.
    Being in Georgia you shouldn't ever have this problem, but the car is horrible in the snow with those OEM Potenzas.

17. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

understeer is gay.

18. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

The one I'm looking at is an '04, so I guess it's the same as the '05. I've heard a lot of good things about the handling. The dyno chart looks alright, it stays at 232hp for a long time once it's up there at like 5-6k. As long as you keep it in the right gear it should be fine for autocross, which should be easy enough with the tiptronic.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and you learned that in what car? Was it in your attempt in 2003 at the 24 hours of Daytona in the Ferrari or the the 2001 run at the 12 hours of Sebring in your Porsche? Oh wait, it must have been in the SCCA Valvoline run offs in 2004?

20. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

I'll take understeer instead of oversteer every time, given the choice. You can moderate understeer with the throttle very effectively, oversteer not so much. Especially when you're going backwards as the result of a spin.