1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for tires on the truck, recommendations?

Discussion in 'General' started by CAMELTOEHUNTER, Jan 9, 2011.

1. CAMELTOEHUNTER

CAMELTOEHUNTER Well-Known Member

2000 Ford Expedition

Light duty use, sometimes tow the 6x12
    Mostly highway, almost no off roading
    Not looking to break the bank, but have to re-shoe the beast..

2. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

Continental they work for me...

3. foster

foster Well-Known Member

If you get a lot of snow like me I'd go with Firestone Destination AT's. I had Bridgestone Revo's before this and they are much more expensive without much better performance than the Firestones. My wife has Goodyear Triple Treads which we've also been happy with. When it comes time for new tires for my truck again I'll be buying another set of Destination AT's.

4. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Michelin XLT. ive used just about every damn brand of tire out there, trying to save cash. And NO truck tire rides as smooth and lasts as long (damn near twice as long as the last couple of brands ive tried) as the Michelin's.

5. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

:stupid:

6. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

+2
    I even use them on my work trucks with "E" load ratings but Mine are LTX

7. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

I think I may have to give the Michelin a try, thanks for the feedback.

8. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

In all fairness, both of my last trucks (F-150 and F-350) have worn Toyo Open Country's (2nd choice) at some point, and they're great highway tires. They lasted a long time and were smooth. Anything more slippery than wet grass, and you're screwed, but overall they were OK.

I run Michelins (1st choice) when I can get them.

9. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

ehh, XLT........LTX..........i get a bit dyslexic sometimes. LOL.

Yea, ive got the 10 ply as well on my 2500HD Chevy. Damn things aint cheap, and ive NEVER been a fan of Michelin's (race tires), but these things are da bomb. Well worth the extra $$$.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I've had great success with the Michelin LTX as well. Went for the Bridgestone Duravis M700 this time around, no idea on mileage yet but fantastic traction while plowing. :up:

11. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Michelins are the best, but they cost a lot. I've got Yokohama Geolanders on my truck and have been happy, good performance/wear for the price.

12. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

My F250 came with Pirelli Scorpions, and I replaced them with the same tire since one of them was new. Not impressed, they seem to be feathering no matter what I do with the tire pressure. All new suspension, front end etc.

One of them started to dry rot in less than a year, and I had to pay $75 to get it replaced under warranty. Based on the fact that there are other tires for the same price or less, I wouldn't buy them.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I had Dunlop Radial Rover's on my truck. Liked them so much I put another set on it. Great snow and rain traction and very quiet.

14. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

Yokohama Geolander ATS and Cooper Discoverer are good value and have been good on my Excursion, F-350 and Chevy 3500

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

+3

I've got about 10K on a set right now. They've been very good to me so far.

Anytime I've tried to cut money on tires it cost me more long term.

16. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

Second that one for sure.
    I tend to replace tires a little to the early side and I got over 60,000 miles on the first two sets. Just put the third one on a few weeks back. The tires I replaced most likely wound up on someone elses truck as they did have a little life left.

17. scott65

scott65 Well-Known Member

I only got 81,800 miles on my last set of LTX's. :beer:

18. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

I felt a little rich on my last set of tires for the Excursion and spent some extra on the Bridgestone Dueler REVO 2's and was really happy with them also.

Cost $1200/set and got 65k out of them, not too bad but the Coopers can be had for $650/set and I get 50k out of them. So from a cost/benefit standpoint it doesn't make alot of sense.

But D & E range tires are a little different than more normal tire sizes/loads.

19. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

+1 on the firestones. Not really expensive, and well constrcted tire

20. thump thump

thump thump Active Member

+10 on the Michelins LTXs :up:

I run LTX M&S' on my 1500 Sierra. The tires are lasting forever. They are quiet on the highway, take a load or pull my RV with no worries, give great mileage in the summer and work very well on snow and ice in the winter.