1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Thoughts and Prayers"

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by YamahaRick, Aug 5, 2019.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Couldn't we just as easily tie it to Global Warming or Climate Change?

ducnut likes this.
  3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I thought climate change was a religion.

ducnut and YamahaRick like this.
  4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

They both are. The religion of income redistribution.

brex likes this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It's clearly correlated to Justin Beibers rise to fame.

joec likes this.
  6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Atheists will say lack of faith has no effect on morality.

:D

7. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

I'm not very religious (I'd rather not get off in the weeds on that) but I agree.

God got killed (most people aren't religious anymore), nothing filled the vaccum, we now have no universal morality.

The other issue is the proliferation of cheap rifles after the sandy hook situation.

People were afraid of the Obama administration drafting new legislation. They didn't just buy guns, they bought them at a rate which caused the price of an ar to skyrocket so fast that everyone and their mother started making them.

Then they got cheap.

I don't know the numbers, but I'd guess there's at least ten times as many ar's in circulation now than before sandy hook, and that's a conservative guess.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I was reading something interesting the other day, I can't seem to recall the article but it was comparing/contrasting things like religion, militant veganism, atheism, etc etc.

It postulated that the human mind has an intrinsic desire to have a belief system of some kind....i.e. faith of some sort. Throughout history as you said that has traditionally been God. In more recent times people have been attempting to swap that out with their flavor of choice. It was interesting in the way they showed how some of the most ardent atheists seemed to exhibit the same traits as hardcore religious types, just from the other side of the fence. Basically NOT believing in something was their belief system, and they treat it very much that way.

Same thing with vegans, that a good number of them don't really care all that much about animals or the claim that its a superior diet, etc etc. It's a dogmatic belief system that they use to replace the void of not believing in any kind of faith (in this example it just happened to coincide that a large %age of vegan were also atheist). But essentially veganism had become their new religion, that their mind would convince them of anything to protect that ideology. Even in situations were that person was clearly suffering from deleterious health consequences from the diet (I'm convinced that due to genetic variance among all humans that some can do OK on a vegan diet whilst others very much cannot).

Ian178 likes this.
  9. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with that, and find it fascinating. Human beings have a fundamental need for a belief system. It can make us pretty vulnerable, but I think it's also part of our very nature, like searching for understanding is what brought us this far, but I digress.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

This is what we’re missing. A unifying message.

[​IMG]

britx303 likes this.
  11. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

faithful followers of Brother John Birch

E Reed likes this.
  12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Those hippies are today's leftist professors and businessmen
    so it seems time has proved them to be correct.

YamahaRick likes this.
  13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Some of them are RightWing Wackk"Os who ain't smoked weed in 35yrs but still like the taste of Whiskey..

14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Bieber.jpg

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Always though that myself. People have an inherent need to believe.

Saw a similar thing with my dad, wasn't religious but drank, when that wasn't viable any longer he swapped over to not drinking with the same fervor.

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Jordan Peterson has some good lectures on the subject.

Montoya likes this.
  18. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

The debate series with Sam Harris is long (3 of 'em, 2 hrs each) but entertaining and thought provoking.

Montoya likes this.
  19. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

How come our thoughts and prayers are always for the victims, their families, the first responders, the children, etc. but NOT the shooters? After all, Jesus hung out with the sinners because they were in need of his services. Clearly these kids are also in need of his services.

20. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

And I belong to the Anticoh Baptist Church!