1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This makes my head hurt...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by 976-FIZR, Nov 5, 2003.

1. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

... even more than it has been hurting lately.

Linky

-Wish

2. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

interesting but flawed it basicly said relativity and uncertainty are wrong.

one of the things Einstein said already exist.

3. blueduc37

blueduc37 Well-Known Member

Yes, and rationality is limited by our own abilities and on-hand information. I found that little test fun but logically flawed...

4. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

"You may have just taken a direct hit!

You stated earlier that evolutionary theory is essentially true. However, you have now claimed that it is foolish to believe in God without certain, irrevocable proof that she exists. The problem is that there is no certain proof that evolutionary theory is true - even though there is overwhelming evidence that it is true. So it seems that you require certain, irrevocable proof for God's existence, but accept evolutionary theory without certain proof. So you've got a choice:

Bite a bullet and claim that a higher standard of proof is required for belief in God than for belief in evolution.

Take a hit, conceding that there is a contradiction in your responses."

HHMMM, that is false as well, as there IS proof of evolution....... oh well, I will continue...

5. blueduc37

Evolutionary theory is verifiable under an extreme set of very tight circumstances, not in the general way largely taught as fact. See a website hosted by Dr. Hugh Ross

The legitimacy of a theory (a non-enity without intent) may or may not be verifiable, thus "theory".

My understanding of the mind of God (an entity possessing intent) is that He, desiring us to live by faith, has neither provided nor in fact will permit proof of His existance.

Medicine can prove I am alive; it cannot prove any intent that I have. The only way you have of KNOWING (or believing that you know) is by evidence of what I do. You can then believe what seems right to you about me. But you can't directly prove it.
    Watch this though: the agreeably best way is to get to know ME!
    Yuo can ask my friends to get clues, but....

6. tcasby

tcasby Banned

Why then is the bible full of descriptions of God proving His existence? Do you believe these descriptions to be untrue?

Please note that I ask this as someone with a completely naturalistic worldview.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What is considered proof depends on who is reading.

8. blueduc37

God giving EVIDENCE and God giving PROOF are two different things. Faith comes from hearing and understanding the evidence.

And yes, proof is different things for different people. Some can hear and believe, some can see with their own eyes and not believe.

Faith is ours to have or not (Calvinism notwithstanding), and God is under no politcal pressure to provide proof of anything. He will give you evidence, but maybe you should try ASKING!

9. ZebProctor1

so if god created "heaven" "in the begining".... and there are "pearly gates to heaven", then what was there before there were even gates??? no seriously, it is PROVEN that man has only been on earth for a very short amount of time compared to the PROVEN time that earth has been here.... so since gates are a man-made object, how were there "gates of heaven" before there were gates???:D :D

10. blueduc37

Who said the first gates were man-made?

11. ZebProctor1

AAAHHH, I forgot about dinosaur heaven!!!! :D :D Funny there is no mention of dinosaurs anywhere in the bible.... they must not have existed then, all those fossils are fake :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ... like any other FICTICIOUS book of the time, the bible does not mention anything not know at the time, or anything in the past that was not known then......

12. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

About last night, uh...

Have you ever watched 'Inherit the Wind', the movie about the Scopes Monkey Trial? In it, the lawyer on the Bible side argued something to the effect that indeed there was no mention of pre-history in the King James version of the Bible, but that was because of some time discrepancies in the story of creation. Something about how in the time between when God created earth from chaos and when He said "Let there be light". There was no day or night, no 24-hour clock to time the night time, so in fact the "evening prior" to God flicking on the switch could have been millions of years. And since there had yet to be any man on earth yet, they wouldn't have known about what happened "the previous night", especially if that previous night had been 60 million years long.

I'm young and inexperienced about almost everything on earth. I'm learned enough to know that what I do know about "stuff" is not a lot. However, that said even I get a severe head ache from my bullshit-o-meter going off when I hear someone with an answer for everything. Ask any theologic question, even the ones that can't possibly be answered, and the answer will invariably appear, even if it is as simple as "It's just the Lord's will."

Too much BS, too much hippocracy and far too many people have strayed from the original point of religion to offer it any respect anymore. That's a shame.

-Wish

13. blueduc37

We, as a civilisation, need to teach our kids ACCURATE history and science. It breaks my heart.

As for dinosaurs in the Bible, read Job (Leviathan).

As for Inherit the Wind, the real account of this trial is remarkably different from the movie. I saw the movie first. I was almost embarrased by my own willingness to believe the movie's portrayal of the trial, the OUTCOME of the trial, the treatment of Mr. Scopes, etc. It's like they totally ignored the historical fact. But that happens a lot in Hollywood.

Please don't ever let some other person determine what you think about anything. Every one of us has had ignorant people roll their eyes at us and call us crazy for racing. Some of them can't tell the difference between us and the Hell's Angels. You know what I mean.

14. RichardLesher

RichardLesher Well-Known Member

What many fail to realize and ignore is that the:

"Word of God"

Is writing my MEN!!!!!!!!!

Now, what would be impressive is if God talked to someone and delivered to them the word of God as written by God, verses men hearing voices in their head and then saying it is the word of God.

Has it occurred to any one that about 2000 years ago there might have been this dude named J.C. and he had these 12 buddies. One day he goes to his buddies and says he has an idea for a great joke.

"Let's write a book"

The most powerful men to ever walk the face of the earth are those that crafted the major religious scriptures.

God perhaps is man's creation to justify immorality. Horrid actions toward fellow man have been done in the name of God, because a man cannot justify such actions.

15. WeaselBob

WeaselBob Well-Known Member

if you here voices today, you're considerd schizophrenic & in need of meds
    If you heard voices 500 years ago they made you a saint :D

could you imagine the reaction you'd get if you told someone "you got the word" from a burning bush ??

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ya know, its sad when I retreat to P&R for some nice, calm, sane discourse about a subject....

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If the word was that you had crabs I'd be believing you got the word from your burning bush no problem.

18. mad brad

mad brad Guest

actually, crabs don't burn. :D

19. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Is this the voice of experience talking? :confused: :eek:

:D :D :D :D :D

20. mad brad

mad brad Guest