1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is going to screw up traffic

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Mar 26, 2024.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

The Dali...according to Wikipedia...has a single main engine and therefore a single screw. Anyone who has ever driven a boat..any boat... with a single screw knows that it goes all kinda crazy side ways when you throw it in reverse and firewall the throttle. I dont know for certain, but that sure looks like what they did, and what they should have done to slow the boat down when they had a loss of control and electrical power. hence the giant plume of smoke and the turn.

Also boats with out steerage in tidal estuaries dont just keep going straight with wind and currents on them. So that would be another reason the boat turned so hard to the side.

Now, is it possible someone on the ship wanted to crash into the bridge on purpose. yes. But the captain and crew just do it with 2 american pilots standing there watching them on the bridge. NO. So someone from engineering...sabotaged the electrical panel, but still kept steering control locally only. And engine control, locally. And then also had a camera to see the bridge. and then timed it just right to hit the bridge.

Yeah. That is way more plausible than something in the ships electrical power grid failed/tripped at the wrong time and they lost steerage and drifted/motored into a bridge that was 'fracture critical' with no protection around the pilings, while broadcasting the fact they had no power or steerage and trying to get it stopped or fixed. :rolleyes:

Also you know this is the second big bridge to be hit and dropped in the US right? The Sunshine whatever bridge In Tampa got hit by a....wait for it...freighter hit a piling in a storm and dropped a section of bridge.

Also I read an article this evening written by a British former captain (so you know he's good, they ruled the sea you know) and he mentioned that between 1960 and 2015...guess how many bridges have been destroyed by ships, world wide??? go on...guess.....5....10...20....it's 35. More than 1 every other year on average.

But yeah...it was definitely a conspiracy that got this ONE.

https://apnews.com/article/bridge-collapses-barges-list-1f2d6261d523ddc625aaaf3b32c626bc

Robby-Bobby, stk0308, HPPT and 7 others like this.
  2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

This ^^^

3. Spang308

They went full opposite rudder and reverse once power was temporarily restored, and that was the smoke plume out of the stack. Guess what direction that sent them once power went out again? Anyone who has ever piloted a boat can attest to currents and winds effects on track.

Jed likes this.
  4. Spang308

5. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Dude are you related to Alex Jones.

Just stop your not making any sense.

stk0308, backbone, cpettit and 2 others like this.
  6. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Ha, I was watching the Alex Jones documentary when he posted and was thinking this dude definitely watches Alex Jones. But then I checked his website and even that nutball didn’t have any conspiracy theories about this yet. Any time he posts a link it’s nutjob conspiracy shit. Just ask for the source, he either ignores it or it’s an entertaining read, if only people didn't believe everything they read it would be funny.

cpettit likes this.
  7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Like fire extinguisher stories? Or collusions? Unfortunately that pendulum swings both ways.

brex likes this.
  8. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

There are definitely people all over the spectrum who fall for bullshit. Either way it’s unfortunate that a significant percentage of our country wants to believe in conspiracies, whether proven or not.

backbone, Mike Fennell and rd400racer like this.
  9. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

..... accidentally

;)

10. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

He's not finished with his current bender.

11. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Seems like the most plausible story to me. They must have really panicked after the second outage.

12. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Glad to have the NPC perspective thrown in lol

13. Dave Wolfe

So here's my interesting observation. I had seen someone say that elaine chaos sister who drowned in her tesla in texas was ceo of this ships company. I typed it into the ministry of truths search bar and right at the top "fact check right wingers claim blah blah blah but that is not true".

Ok. So that usually means the conspiracy is true in my experience. But this time I did a little digging and the dead Ms Chao was ceo of a different bulk carrier company.

So Im in shock the fact checkers were correct about something.

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Well that can only mean that there's a conspiracy to disrupt the entire shipping industry. o_O

15. Dave Wolfe

The shipping industry IS the conspiracy industry! Now I get it its all so clear.

Or is this a conspiracy within a conspiracy WITHIN ANOTHER CONSPIRACY?

PatricksDad and auminer like this.
  16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Seriously? Ever been on the bridge of these ships? Ever spend time in the Engine rooms? Ever been on a vessel with a huge amount of windage when a gust of wind hits? Ever been on a vessel that's lost steering? Ever worked a ship that grounded in a channel because of a gust?

I have. The most likely cause of the hard turn is wind. As soon as you lose flow across the rudder you're at the mercy of the wind and tide. The pilot called for help from any tugs in the area. This is pretty common, believe it or not. For gas tankers, they have to have a tug on the stern hooked up to navigate channels in case of a situation just like this. The stacks blowing smoke is the pilot calling for 100 power in reverse. The power off and on is an issue but mechanical shit happens. They have redundant gen sets and there is most likely a delay between firing one up and it coming on board. Fuel is money and they're not going to run engines unless needed. I've seen ships in an anchorage drag due to winds and call maydays. I've been on a vessel that lost steerage under way crashing us, a 130' twin screw 4000hp tug, into a container ship. I've sat for hours while at full throttle pushing against an unladen collier trying to get it unstuck from the bank while the docking pilot sweated his ass off and called for more tugs hoping he wouldn't have to report a grounding.

Read a book or go outside.

scottn, Gino230, Mike Fennell and 2 others like this.
  17. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

You might be the biggest fucking idiot on the internet. Go out side and get some air for a change.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

r/humblebrag. :D

Jed likes this.
  19. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Not sure if In Your Corner is an active racer or not, but if he is, just think.....some of you are sharing a track with this guy.

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Hey now, they could have paid off both US pilots and the crew, come up with a plausible story that was simple enough they could all remember it, didn't want to see anyone get hurt so let the captain use the radio to clear traffic from the bridge, and the construction workers were collateral damage. Yeah, that's it. That sounds completely plausible. Someone needs to check the pilots' bank accounts for that payoff money!

R1Racer99 likes this.