1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Right to Choose

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Oct 26, 2003.

1. mad brad

mad brad Guest

if given the CHOICE of living in a home unwanted, or what (to me as a embryo) painless death. i'd take the latter.

2. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

How do you know the death is painless? I watched a guy tagging sharks on TV he said "They can't feel this." When they stuck that tag into it's body the shark nearly broke out of it's bonds.

Anyway, I'm sure you realize that there are other choices for unwanted children. Adoption is an easy alternative and it gives both the child and mother a chance at life.

I wonder how many abortions per year are absolutely necessary to save the life of the mother? I can recall stories taught in Catechism where the mother has opted to die so the child could survive. Perhaps this isn't a path for everyone however.

Not trying to start anything. Just asking questions and noting observances.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

First, the baby is not the one who makes the choice.

Second, this assumes that no one would want the baby. Since people pay huge amounts of money to hire surrogate mothers and travel to China and other countries to adopt infants, I would say there is a pretty good chance that most infants would be wanted by someone, even if that someone were neither the mother or father.

As far as the "mother's health" issue, how many abortions are actually performed to save a woman's life? Very few, I would guess. And medically necessary abortions were performed before the Roe vs Wade decision.

I've known a fair amount of women who have had one (or more) abortions and none were done because the mother's health was in danger. The health issue is an excuse. Awhile back I read a report concerning partial-birth abortions which said that the procedure was performed for the mother's health in only 9% of the cases. The health issue in most cases was reported as mental health.

4. In Your Corner

Here's an interesting side-effect of the abortion laws. The driver in this accident caused the death of an unborn child. Because the same standards which apply to viability of unborn children as concerns abortion are applied to the accidental death of unborn children, the driver faced no direct charges for the death of this woman's baby.
    However, he was charged with a seat belt violation because he failed to follow the state's wishes to buckle-up to protect his own life as he drunkenly sped down the breakdown lane.

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with society's priorities here?

5. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i've said before. i was circumsized when i was weeks old. as far as i'm concerned, it never happened. i've been in thousands of surgical procedures utilizing "conscious sedation" which is to say, you are awake, and the versed/valium, and such give you amnesia. the yells of pain are always followed by "are we gonna start today?" and the staff always say "sir/ma'am, we are finished. hence, if i were a fetus, the pain would not be real as you would not be alive/conscious to recall it.

the "silent scream" shock tactic does not work on me.

6. mad brad

mad brad Guest

better research your adoption laws. it is ten times harder (financially/physically) to adopt in the good ole' us of a. thanks to liberals who want a major ass raping to give a kid a home. china/russia are actually helping people financially and physically to adopt.

screwed up i know, but the truth.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you have a penis, your opinion, pro or con has absolutely no weight with me. It's a woman's issue on it's legality. This applies if you are a politician, an armchair quarterback, a Dave K or anything else....... if you are male.

It is a woman's right to chose... on the legality of abortion.

last thing I'll say on this issue.

8. mad brad

mad brad Guest

no it isn't. :D

(you never called me back) :(

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sh@t!!! my mind is mush today.

10. In Your Corner

How about saying one more thing and backing this up with some logic? I've heard this argument before and it holds no weight with me. How does having a uterus elevate your status concerning the decision of what is or is not moral or desirable?

11. mad brad

mad brad Guest

if we had to make a law for EVERYONE'S morals (200,000,000,000 opinions on what is/isn't) we would all have to be aborted.

i say, the woman has to carry it for nine months, ruin her body, and for the most part care for the child, let her make the decision.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Facts? WTF for? It's an opinion and it's mine.

I've never said I'm pro life or pro choice and nor will I.

And how does a uterus play into my opinion? Simple really, the woman has to carry the baby.

If the pregnacy is un wanted, the father of the unborn baby's opinion ended when he decided to not wear a condom.

Abortion is not and never will be moral and what woman would choose to have one (given the choice of not being in the situation to have one).

13. In Your Corner

Not sure I follow your argument here but we do and historically have made laws based on morals. The process of creating rules and laws based on the moral beliefs of the majority as expressed through representation is what forms the society in which we live. It is an imperfect system, but it works.

14. In Your Corner

There are a lot of sticking points here.

What if birth control was used but failed?
    What if the father wants the child even though the mother doesn't?
    If a possible father has legal obligations imposed by a pregnancy, why should he have no legal rights (assuming the pregnancy evolved from legal and consensual sex)?
    What about society's interest in the effects the actions of the individual have on the mores and conditions of society as a whole? (If this last was not a factor in our society you would be able to stroll naked into the 7-11 while smoking a joint, either of which would get you arrested, neither of which hurts anyone else).

15. mad brad

mad brad Guest

what if i say this argument is irrelevant?

because it is.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Always is.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Does having to carry something in your own body for nine months give you a vote on the issue? I have to agree with Dave, if that's what he meant.

18. In Your Corner

Yes, but it doesn't give you sole ownership of the issue, as far as I am concerned.

19. mad brad

mad brad Guest

well, as far as the court is concerned, it does. ;)

20. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

The hardest thing to do on this message boad is to discuss something. Everyone has to be right. It's not about who's right, it's about discussing a topic. No one has to change their minds, no one has to win or lose.

This is not a tactic. The pain you say doesn't exist, you have no way to prove that it doesn't exist, nor do I to prove that it does. I believe that it is a bold assumption on your part. I personally would not make such an assumption. The child in the womb can be seen reacting to stimuli such as heat cold, sucking it's thumb, etc....

Do you think the child in a partial birth abortion feels any pain? Or does it just die peacefully. We are talking about the taking of a human life aren't we.