1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Powersports Industry & M/C Roadracing

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

In a few weeks I'll get the MIC data for new bike and tire sales so we'll see what's up

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

May Sets Records in Growth for New Boat Sales
    The NMMA reports new boat sales rebounded sharply in May, up 59% compared to April, and up 9% from pre-pandemic levels on a seasonally-adjusted basis. Total sales in May were the highest they’ve been in a decade with upticks across all segments. Leading the growth were PWCs, saltwater fishing boats, and jet boats, which account for 41% of new boat sales annually. Also noteworthy, outboard engine shipments to boat builders increased for the second consecutive month through June.

“The new data shows a very positive start to the summer for the recreational boating industry, with increases in new boat sales across all major segments. The last time we saw such strong sales in a single month was back in 2007,” said Vicky Yu, NMMA director of business intelligence. “This strong rebound underscores a heightened interest in boating as a way to enjoy the summer with loved ones while staying close to home, especially as summer camps, sports leagues, and vacations have been cancelled amid the pandemic.”

Furthermore, June data coming in indicates this momentum to continue with healthy sales of new PWCs again in June and increases in outboard engine shipments for the second consecutive month.“The shipment data is encouraging because outboard boats account for 60% of new boat sales annually, and suggests that dealers are placing orders as manufacturing revs back up,” noted Yu.

Highlights from the latest New Powerboat Registrations report and Monthly Shipment Report:

• PWC sales reached record monthly highs for the second consecutive month in June, up 41% from a year ago, on a seasonally-adjusted basis and have fully recovered from pandemic-related losses in March and April.
    • Saltwater fishing boat sales were up 9% in May on a seasonally-adjusted basis, compared to a year ago.
    • Jet boat sales were up 31% in May on a seasonally-adjusted basis, compared to a year ago.
    • Outboard engine sales in June were up an average 28% from pre-pandemic levels on a seasonally-adjusted, monthly basis.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Here's an mid year update.

YTD motorcycle sales are up about 6% and that is being driven by large (real big) increases in dirt & on/off bike sales. While that's the good news the bad part is street bike sales are down YTD. I think it's the changing demographics, and there lots of dealers with 2 or 3 year old cruisers and naked bikes on the sales floor. Finally June motorcycle tire sales are up over 20% vs. PY but YTD they are down about 5%

ducnut and Spooner like this.
  4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

And I wonder what percentage of the SXS/UTV market the powersports industry is getting here in NA? If you look a bit closer the big 3 Japanese, the Taiwanese/China companies, and NA manufacturers are competing against Roxor, New Holland, Kubota, Cub Cadet, and John Deere just to name a few. I'm still trying to find sales data for all but I don't know yet how or where they all report their sales data

5. Critter

Critter Registered

They don't report, and Polaris has the lions share of that by I think about 10-1...Polaris is the largest OEM selling into Powersports dealers right now. The largest market for UTV is the utility UTV and sport UTV trails by a big margin.... The Utility cross over UTV sits in the middle there.

Just to put things into perspective there is ONE importer of Polaris cage bungs in the USA that sells 100,000 RZR cage bungs per year, so figure 5 bungs per car, YES 5, 4 seaters take 6, and 2 seaters take 4, so figure average about 5...

Thats 25,000 aftermarket cages being made in the USA every year just for RZR's. I think the number of cages being made in the USA is about 35-40k per year. I think about 30% of the total cars sold get a cage. Out west that number is about 85% back east it drops to 15% or less.

In May of this year Polaris sold 16,000 SXS's, the previous May was give or take a few at @ 9500... I have sales figures of Polaris SXS if you need them.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Talking to my neighbor a few minutes ago and they just got their son a CRF50. They had to travel to Ohio or some place out west. They were told there are NONE on the east coast, completely sold out with dealers waiting (begging for more). Smaller bore dirty bikes (under 250cc), there are none.

He is waiting for the local dealer to get anything in so he can get a bike to ride with his kid. :eek::cool:

7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah the shops have been emptied out and supply is very low from the manufacturers.

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I've got a clean '06 CRF 50. How much are these easterners willing to pay? I have no problem selling some toys right now during high demand, I'll replace them next year when everyone is selling off the stuff they bought this year.

badmoon692008 and Senna like this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Shit if I know but I'm digging out my kid's old Marin Bolinas to see what it'll fetch. lol!

brex likes this.
  10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

This is a smart strategy. I’ll have to wait on a dirt bike until next year.

11. When I was looking for a used CRF 70 for my son it was next to impossible. Dealer had no new ones but got lucky and found one eventually. Sold his pw 50 to a buddy that was fresh down to the tires but sold it to him for $500 because I know his daughter will use it. She’s already put 9 hours on it in 2 weeks.

turner38 likes this.
  12. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Couple months ago I sold my PW50 (2004) for $850, and 2008 CRF50 for $750. Probably could’ve gotten $1000 each as they both sold in hours. And a TRX90 2008 for $2200 last month. That sold in an hour.

Little bikes and quads are hot items.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

In 1998 I paid $936 out the door for a new PW 50 for the oldest grand kid

14. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

Speaking of, anyone have a line on a pw50 around Cincinnati? We modified ours for my son when he started racing flat track. He popped the motor and has moved on to a Cobra but my daughter (5) has taken to the Stacyc and would like to ride a pw50. I'd prefer not to try and rebuild this Frankenstein of a bike and just buy one ready to run. If she wants to race, well, then the pw75... I mean pw50 will be rebuilt.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Here's the 3rd quarter data. M/C & scooter sales are up YTD 10.2%, and tire wise sales for Sept. are up about 37% and YTD it's up a bit over 11%

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Good news here for the Powersports manufacturers that also make marine products.
    The NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association) reports October was an historic month for new powerboat retail sales. Data shows new powerboat sales gained momentum in October, up 18% compared to September, and up 30% year-over-year (YOY) on a seasonally adjusted basis. Year-to-date (YTD) through October, more than 291,000 new powerboats were sold, surpassing cumulative sales for 2019. Early indicators show 2020 new powerboat retail sales are expected to reach record highs. Sales of new personal watercraft, runabouts, cruisers and jet boats drove growth in October with double-digit sales increases YOY.

Ricky Bobby mentioned in a different thread that MA should go to Daytona and race, right? So if MA added a PWC or boat race in Lake Lloyd maybe the OEMs (with bikes n boats) would be more excited about going to the Big D? :)

ducnut likes this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Remember this post and what happened at Laguna? :crackup:

stk0308 and ducnut like this.
  18. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

And I just shake my head wondering how much of that was bought with ill-gotten PPP money...

19. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

I still want to see them do it two up! Imagine what the start would look like! Passenger needs to get out over the forks to keep the front end down then climb back to ride pillion.

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

New info from the Marine industry and I'm still waiting for the 2020 new bike and tire sales data

The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) reports that retail unit sales of new powerboats in the U.S. increased in 2020 by an estimated 12 percent. More than 310,000 new powerboats were sold in 2020, levels the recreational boating industry has not seen since before the Great Recession in 2008.
    Annual U.S. sales of boats, marine products and services are estimated to total $47 billion in 2020, up 9 percent from 2019.