1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Powersports Industry & M/C Roadracing

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 27, 2019.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

How so?

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Tier pricing does exist on OEM parts.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I never saw it, where I worked (left 2005). But, it could be something more recent. Not sure.

4. Critter

Critter Registered

It does exist it is not as dramatic as the aftermarket, but it does exist

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Is that a regional distinction or does it have something to do with volume?

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

2019 market update

The m/c tire market was down about 15% vs. previous year
    Cruiser tires were down about the same %
    RR tires were down just 2 or so %
    And this is remarkable sport tires were up around 6%
    And I'll have some more industry updates coming in the next week or so

G 97, Senna, motion and 1 other person like this.
  7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah they told us 15% 6 months ago. Our show is in a couple weeks so I should also have more up to date numbers soon. Also MTA is closing up shop in a couple weeks from what I hear. Will be an interesting spring on the distribution side for sure.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

This guy is killing your business like Mongo is trying to kill road racing.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

3 months ago it was negative 23%, so it recovered a bit to end at -15%

And it was known that MTA and the parent Motovan were struggling so that's no surprise I guess

10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I sent dealer inquiries to 3 of the big WD’s 2 weeks ago. I’ve heard back from 1, I’m too small for them to deal with.....I guess the industry is struggling.

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I've been trying to buy a new bike for a month now.

I thought I had a deal with one dealer, ask them for an invoice and wire instructions so I could get them paid and got the run-around.

Zero motivation with the staff of about 5 places I tried to deal with. A couple shops that were responsive didn't have what I wanted.

Fwiw I have the same problems with my employees.... they just don't give a fuck.

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Tik Tok is all that matters these days.

YamahaRick likes this.
  13. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Just because I’m curious, which one got back to you?

14. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Tucker

15. KrashBandit

KrashBandit The other guy at Pit Bull

Just caught up on this thread and thought I'd chime in: We have a MAP policy, and have ever since a couple shops decided we'd be their loss leader a while back. We never worried too much about it because it seemed like it'd be difficult to police, but once a couple online stores started selling at a loss - we had to do something. It's worked out fine since then. We also added a Canadian MAP to help with the exchange rate, which has also worked out fine.

2019 was a strong year for us, and while our profit margin isn't at a level that most businesses would be happy with - we get to do business the way that we think it should be done and we're not going out of business doing so. We were able to build our own plating line in '15, get a new tube bender in '17, CNC mill in '18, and a new CNC lathe in '19. Hopefully we can buy another new CNC machine in 2020 as we continue to update our aging machinery. Since most of our CNC machines were purchased in the late 90's/early 2000's, they've all gotten older and less reliable over time.

I'll admit we don't operate the same as a lot of businesses, but it works for us. While I've always thought we'd eventually run out of people to sell stands to since the stands basically last forever - I just started my twentieth year at Pit Bull and so far I've been wrong about that. Hopefully we see the upcoming generation get more interested in bikes and see new riders both on the street and track. I got my son to help work on my bike a bit from time to time, but he hasn't wanted his own yet. I figure he'll come around eventually. He's been around them way too much to never end up wanting his own. We'll see!

badmoon692008, cBJr, Shocker and 8 others like this.
  16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Comoto Holdings the owner of Revzilla & Cycle Gear just acquired J&P Cycles

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

If you need help I can make a few calls, just pm me

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

And here's a quick summary of new bike sales for 2019 vs. 2018
    Overall new bike sales are up a tiny, tiny bit so basically flat vs. PY

Off-road sales are up about 14%
    Dual sport sales are up about 3%
    On road sales are down about 3%
    Scooter sales are down 15%

19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Sales are flat only if the number of off-road bikes equals the number of scooters and the number of dual sports equals the number of on road bikes. That also doesn't take into account the profit margin on each segment and the overall costs of each unit. All in all, statistically there are no definitive conclusions to be drawn from your data. Sorry, but we need more info.

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

The info LOOSELY illustrates that overall yearly sales are up a tiny, tiny bit and certain segments have changed. If you want more then you'll have to wait until it's released