1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Powersports Industry & M/C Roadracing

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 27, 2019.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

I know Honda uses this data like it’s the bible. Or they did when I was there. They beat the dealers up regularly with it. Etc. I used it as more of a missed opportunity sales tool than beating them up over market share. The stand alone Honda dealers would respond pretty pretty pretty pretty good but several of the multi lines were like Um OK, thanks.
    Multi line dealers don’t do any of the manufacturers any favors. I realize it helps them stay in business etc but it sure doesn’t create any benefit to the manufacturers. I think the Honda Power House dealers are doing well.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

I just disappoint them from the beginning. It’s easier than having to reset expectations. :D

3. Critter

Critter Registered

BUT not UTV and that is their largest segments right now

4. Critter

Critter Registered

Uh, Jeff, MC, ATV, UTV, Snow, and a certain amount of marine (boat and Outboard) are sold by Powersports Dealers....and serviced by them...If you take UTV, ATV, MC, Snow and add them all up, I bet you will find Polaris sells more units than anyone else right now...

5. Critter

Critter Registered

They are selling a TON of sxs, I know BRP has taken some serious share from them in the last 12-24 months, so it will be interesting to see where they come out in 2020. I think they will slide down to second, based on pressure from the Japanese and from Can Am.....

6. Critter

Critter Registered

Harley Sold 120,400 units in the USA totaling approx $2B in revenue. American Honda is approx $2B in vehicle revenue in the USA, the rest of the Japanese are smaller in the USA than Honda. Polaris in Snow, ATV and SXS in the USA is $3.5B with Snow being so small my guess is that ATV and SXS in the USA for Polaris is $3B plus or minus. Now the vehicles sold number I am not sure of because Polaris sells so many SXS and Honda sells a bunch of SUB $10k vehicles. Based on just revenue for Powersports dealers that means Polaris is by far the largest in the States...

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

ATV sales were up 1.8% in 2019. The other UTV/SxS manufacturers Kubota, John Deere, etc. for instance are not offering powersports products so I'm guessing that's why the MIC isn't collecting that sales data?

Here's some m/c sales info for 2019
    Harley sold a bit over 125K units
    Honda moved about 92K units
    Polaris sold about 14K Indians and a very small amount of discontinued Polaris 2 wheeled product
    And it's interesting that Can Am sold almost the same amount of 3 wheelers as Indian did bikes, but Polaris sold only about 3,800 Slingshots

8. Biggest issue with lack of sales is people who can’t afford them can’t get financing as easy as they once could. Crazy concept. I know in the small town I live in that has a fair amount to do with a lot of missed sales. Plus a lot of the market is flooded with people upside down in their equity in the vehicles they have.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow, I wouldn’t have guessed they are bigger than Harley or Honda here in the states. Great job they have done.

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Well Harley doesn't sell boats, sleds, atvs, or utvs but Polaris isn't selling much in bikes so...

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow, I wouldn’t have guessed they are bigger than Harley or Honda here in the states. Great job they have done.
    I agree, but was just surprised they were that large.

12. Critter

Critter Registered

Most people are surprised.... It is where the people with money are shifting too

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

A local shop has this absurd $30,000 Can-Am turbo SXS that looks like an absolute blast. I could definitely see someone dumping cash into that kind of thing. It’s like a damn rally car. I’d really like to try one out at some point.

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Silkolene lubricants are no longer being sold by PU or Tucker? WTF, did the Corona virus get this stuff too?

15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Nope, I just looked thru my new 2020 PU catalog, no Silkolene. They are carrying Liqui Moly now.

16. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I think they are pulling out of the US market. They got rid of the guys running the show here a year or two ago I believe. Sucks because they make great stuff but nobody was asking for the brand anymore.

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Tucker hires ex-Harley exec as president; Bretschneider departs
    March 25, 2020

Tucker has announced the appointment of former Harley-Davidson executive Marc McAllister to the position of president and CEO. McAllister replaces Sebastian Bretschneider, who joined the aftermarket parts and accessories distributorship in June 2019. Bretschneider is no longer with the company.

McAllister held a variety of roles at Harley-Davidson during his 24-year tenure with the company. After starting in product design and supply chain, he moved to senior roles leading the company's sales and growth in Europe and Asia. As vice president and managing director of Global Markets and previously the Asia-Pacific region, McAllister led sales, marketing and operations of the Motor Company while working closely with powersports dealers in each region. He also represented the company with board positions at the American Motorcyclist Association and the European Motorcycle Manufacturers Association.
    “Marc has tremendous experience in powersports and in driving business growth. That’s what we need at Tucker right now,” said Greg Ethridge, chairman of the company’s ownership group.

"I'm excited to dive in and work with the Tucker Team," said McAllister. "My experience building a strategy and structure that delivers growth is important for Tucker right now. And it needs to be done while supporting our customers and partners in this difficult time. This is a tremendous opportunity for me to help strengthen the Tucker brand and the motorcycle industry."

McAllister moved into the Tucker role today. Due to the company's work-from-home employee health rules, he will be working from his home office in Wisconsin for the near term.

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

PU and the marketplace are his roadblocks and he will have zero bearing on either of them.

19. Spooner

I truly hope they can make it after whats sure to come in the next few months/years. I know I work for a competitor but it would send big ripples through the industry with all their suppliers, not to mention all the people they employ, etc. I wouldn't want his job right now!

ducnut likes this.
  20. Spooner

The new guy didn't waste time, sounds like a bunch of the inside staff was let go today. They may bring them back at the end of April. I feel for everyone there and hope they can stop the bleeding.