1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Harley Davidson thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jul 30, 2018.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I could be wrong, but it seems like the "old guy wanting to be a badass" thing has passed.

2. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I test rode and did some demos on a Heritage a few months ago. The weight was unbearable. Nearly dropped it right away and thought "ok then, don't let it go more than 2* at a stop or you're gonna lose it". Threshold braking, or any braking for that matter, was awful. the levers felt like mush. It had very minimal maneuvering ability before dragging the floor boards, which was actually kind of fun to drag in circles in the parking lot. My overall impression was just that it was a big heavy pig. I get it, some people want to wear the logo, be loud, and cruise down the street. For me, I would rather drive than ride that bike if it was given to me for free.

I'm making a generalization that for the majority of millenials, the cruiser market is not appealing. More so than their lack of interest in motorcycles altogether.

Their streetfighter concept looks cool. They should have done that 20 years ago.

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I also don't see these as their entry level, first time buyer machines. These are the next steps above the liquid cooled 500 / 750 based machines they brought out earlier. This is an attempt to show that side is going to grow and expand into a full lineup.

panthercity likes this.
  4. tecknojoe

I think Ducati nailed it with their latest pricing structure. Their harping on that monthly payment structure that millenials love so much.

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

2018 G310R BMW <$5k

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of that is "euro-cool" factor? My generation and especially my Dad's gen was "buy American". I still remember my Dad's scepticisim when I bought a Honda.....

7. tecknojoe

I've always HATED that when it came to motorcycles. What was I supposed to do, buy a Buell because it had an American flag on it? gtfo

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Ohhh you can bet your ass the stupid subscription model that car manufacturers are trying now will find its way to motorcycles in an effort to appeal the them.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

With the hipsters it doesn't have to be euro, they jump on any nearby bandwagon and run with it - buy local will work for them.

10. tecknojoe

Yea Ducati already does it and they're killing with it. Suddenly a Panigale that used to cost $18k is only $xxx per month. Of course they're fucked when they realize they're going to end up way underwater, but that's for a couple years down the road.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would they end up underwater? I got the Multi at .9 or 1.9 interest and it kicked ass. No need to pull cash out of investments that were making way more than that.

12. tecknojoe

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah, they're doing the balloon payment which is effectively a lease deal. Easy to understand really. No one should be blindsided.

14. Venom51

Boy there just is no end to how hard the finance department is willing to fuck someone. A balloon payment...on a motorcycle....that is stupid squared.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No different than 20% or higher APR loans and all the other shit out there that looks good but will screw you if you're not paying attention.

16. Venom51

Like I said ….stupid squared.

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Or going 12 years on a friggen camper. See that advertised alot. :eek:

18. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

They are also doing excellent with their scrambler line. I soon will be in the market for a street bike and the retro cafe racer is priced to what I think well and again IMO cool as shit.

tecknojoe likes this.
  19. BJR119

BJR119 Well-Known Member

20. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

LOL.....$22K. If that's the case the new streetfighter is going to be $25K minimum.