1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

In case you guys didn't read it elsewhere, the gain on Ricciardo's car was calculated to be 7 hp.

2. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

WOW :wow: Ban him!

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The disqualification wasn't so much over the amount of the gain as it was about the multiple "friendly" warnings that red bull arrogantly ignored. They were given multiple chances to comply.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That would be enough to make an also ran look like a rockstar for 1 event.

5. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

Sarcasm:Poke: I agree, although I am a Vettel Red Bull Fan, they screwed their own pooch on this one!

6. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

Negative.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I got that. ;)

8. Venom51

With the P/W ratios they run 7hp is a significant difference.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I can't tell if you're being serious right now.

10. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

7hp is a significant difference between the top teams that are running so close to each other and could make a difference. Referencing your original post about making a back marker look like a rockstar....not going to happen. Although power is part of the problem, their biggest deficit comes from their handling department and 7bhp isn't going to magically compensate for that.

11. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

It's the equivalent of saying adding a full exhaust and power commander on a bike with stock suspension will make it faster then a stock bike setup with the top race suspension if both were being ridden by the same caliber of rider.

12. Venom51

Who's had the best handling car for the last few years? I think RB has that one pretty well sorted. Aside from the packaging I doubt much has change geometry wise from the suspension mounts out. I doubt he would have faired as well in the TR car even with 7 more hp.

7hp for the front running chassis' would be a significant benefit. I wasn't implying that the Force India car would be at the front with 7hp.

13. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

RB have definitely had one of the best if not the top handling car the last several years clearly. This year I think they may be on par with the top or slightly behind but, are suffering pretty badly with the power unit. I'm saying when the top cars are closely matched that 7bhp can make a slight difference but it's still going to be miniscule over the course of a lap. Renault are known to be down on power this year and Mercedes were said to have quite a large advantage in that department during and before testing. 7bhp isn't going to truly make a difference in how they're currently stacked up in my opinion anyway.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

15. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I remember people saying the new regs were gonna make it harder for the heavier drivers because the new cars would be heavier and they'd have less ballast to move around. Did this turn out to be the case? I was just looking at the photos from the selected driver quotes page on f1.com, and not that either of them are fat but Alonso and Button don't seem as chiseled as last year.

16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Benefit, yes. Though FAR from significant, especially in top-tier F1 car.

17. bajakirch

bajakirch ^Not what you think

Nicely written; he explains things in a way that even I...er...any idiot can understand.

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Malaysian S P O I L E R

Lewis dominated the Malaysian GP, his teammate Rossberg second. Redbull is improving, Vettel third. The last time Mercedes was 1st and 2nd was Monza in 1955.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Things are getting interesting at Williams.

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Wasn't Bottas penalized in both races? I really do not blame Massa for not pulling over, he's been moving out of his teammates way his entire career.

Redbull will claw their way back, you can see it happening.