1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The burbs, city, country...where do you live?

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

this is our dilemma when thinking about where to go. i don't mind driving 20 min. in the evening for all our same old amazing eats, but i also don't wanna be so far away from things that i gotta go 15 minutes to a grocery store or hike to just grab a soda or snack. i also don't wanna move to somewhere that SEEMS more spacious and quaint, only to have surburban sprawl surround us 10 years later. i guess if you buy enough land and build in the middle of it, that kinda doesn't matter, but still. not trying to build a giant house, but just a nice house with a layout we'll fully utilize. 2600-3000 sq. ft. probably with a nice detached garage/workshop and some space to ride dirtbikes or mini-bikes or sur-rons.

how much land is enough land for that if partially wooded or at least trees on a perimeter? 10 acres? 20?

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

My spot is 5.

20 would be better. Anything over 40 I'd say is diminishing returns.

Sweatypants likes this.
  3. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

yea i don't wanna jump over that line of like, "shit man i gotta constantly care for all this land and buy a fucking tractor and shit" haha. clearing brush or dealing with the occasional tree from a storm is one thing. weeds and over growth and shabby looking bullshit if you don't wanna be a farmer is another. i was even looking at this one property the other day that i thought looked kinda sweet, but then i wondered how much would it fucking cost to make a driveway all the way thru that thin ass part into the edge of the clearing? and utility lines and pipes? 25.5 acres though. i like the shape of it. having a tree lined driveway would be fuckin dope too.

[​IMG]

auminer likes this.
  4. G 97

G 97 Garth

This guy showed up in my back yard tonight to pilfer my bird feeder.

022A7386-4B4C-4420-B5E3-57D1FA1B33EF.jpeg

CRA_Fizzer, jrsamples and Razr like this.
  5. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I’m not sure what to call where I live. Metro Atlanta, but not official city limits, inside the perimeter, officially within a mid sized city (for Georgia) of about 30,000, with 1.5 acres along with the 2.5 acres sitting under the rental house we own next door. We are 15 minutes from midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter Center, Sandy Springs, Decatur, and 30 minutes from the airport with moderate traffic. My back property line is a sizable stream that eventually feeds into the Hooch, and divides my lot from one of the larger office parks in the area (roughly 200 acres).

and to be fair, the Atlanta area is weird with the number of cities within the metro. There have to be at least 20 cities fully or partially ITP. The metro area is 6 million but city of Atlanta is under 1 mil.

And to make my place even weirder - second busiest airport in the state is just down the street, and yet I have a herd of about 8 deer that hang around and eat our garden.

6. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

In the country

7. lazlo

lazlo Stand up guy who corners low.

I don't hardly ever post, but I thought I'd contribute...near west Chicago suburb.

Ogden and Oak Park Avenue out my front porch. Been here thirty five years, moved here from small town Indiana.

8. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

This is the view of the sunrise from the living room of my loft in downtown LA. Zombieland 2020. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

Attached Files:

Razr likes this.
  9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I've sent them away three times now and they keep coming back.
    One of them is a lady about my age that is a foot and a half shorter
    than me but outweighs me, I don't know how she makes it up the
    front steps without having a heart attack.
    Gotta give her credit, she's a trooper.

10. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I live in a small coastal town 30 miles south of Boston. Last I knew, the population was 14,000. We're next town north of Plymouth. ("America's hometown") Strictly residential, no "brand name" eateries allowed. It took Dunkin' Donuts two years to get permission to open.
    This is across the street from my house. It used to be the library, no idea what they use it for now.

[​IMG]

The beach is 1 ½ miles down the road. Access in a car is by a ½ mile long bridge made entirely of wood. It was featured in The Equalizer 2.

[​IMG]

The Cable Office, where communications from the first Trans Atlantic cable were received.

[​IMG]

One way to make money in the summer was quahogging.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    lazlo and Razr like this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Northern NJ
    15 minutes to NYC (no traffic on the GWB)
    within 5 minutes to 3 different malls, and one of them is one of the largest in the US
    IKEA, and everything else in between all within 15 minutes of driving. Trader Joe's is 8 minutes away and that is too far for me to go. I moved away from the city and somehow ended up closer to everything.

And here's my neighbors' 60-70 foot tree that fell in my yard two days ago...
    [​IMG]

Razr likes this.
  12. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

You really want them to keep coming back? Give them what they want: 50 Tibetan Monks, non-citizen refugees.

13. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

52 acres south of Dallas...within 30 minute of two 30k person towns, my town is about 8k people. I also enjoy heading to Dfw, Waco, San Antonio, etc., but a day or so is plenty for me and we are always ready to get home to Gods country.

auminer likes this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

on a 1/4 acre in the burbs. Cant do rural.

BigBird likes this.
  15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Not all that weird. Washington DC is about 700k, the "suburb" of Fairfax County is over 1M. Total metro area also around 6M. If you look at the area people commute in from it would be even bigger: Harper's Ferry WV, Fredericksburg VA, Frederick MD, Kent Island (past Annapolis), Baltimore suburbs, etc.

Cleveland is under 400k and also surrounded by suburbs making it over 2M metro area.

Razr likes this.
  16. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

This is kinda fun.

I live in a town of 30,000. The Burbs. The county I live in is over 3 million. The county to the North of me is over 10 million and the one to the south over 3 million. I guess we are just a spread out big city.

I love it here but it seems most of you wouldn’t.

Razr likes this.
  17. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

2acres next to the bayou, (bought this year). 2 acre Swamp house with shop(old house 4 miles away). Both in 75,000 split parish in Louisiana. 20 acre getaway in farming area 40 mile n of Louisville bought from FIL before he passed that SIL lives in and wife visits. I usually drive by on the way to some races. Dont like cities or f’in winter!

18. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

West Bend or Mequon area?

19. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Currently...a tent in the Saudi desert :(

But a recently signed on a new place in Korea :D

scottn and casjoker like this.
  20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Thank you....be careful.

Potts N Pans likes this.