1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Bourbon Thread...What's on the bar this week?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cuddles de Sade, Oct 3, 2016.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

But really? The oilcan? Warsteiner is looking you with a "WTF?".

2. tito

tito Well-Known Member

Basil Hayden is my Favorite right now. In August if you would have asked me if I liked bourbon, I would have said big no. Wife surprised me with a trip to the trail for my 40th (along with two other couples) and we had a blast. went to Four roses, Woodford Reserve, Angels Envy, and Buffalo Trace. Angels is the only one I don't want to go back to. some great restaurants there as well. Go to Rye and Troll under the Bridge.

3. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I have not tried Laphroiag Quarter Cask yet, but after trying some Ardbeg and Lagavulin last night, I found I definitely like Laphroiag out of all of them the best, so I will expand into their line for a bit now. I heard Laphroiag Lore was really good.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  4. ton

ton Arf!

our whisky tasting (snobbery) group focused on single barrel bourbons Friday

Lineup:
    1. Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel Bourbon

2. Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon

3. Henry McKenna Single Barrel Bourbon

4. Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

5. Blanton's Single Barrel

our top two were the Blanton's and Elmer T. Lee. Both nicely balanced. We all decided a bottle of the Henry McKenna would soon be in our bars. Readily available, easy drinking, and excellent value at the lowest pricepoint of the whole evening.

5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I've got a bottle of 10 year McKenna in the cabinet now.

Haven't cracked it open yet.

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Laphroiag is fantastic, but it’s a little shy on aroma for me. Sure it’s smoky, but it’s missing some spiciness or something. Lagavulin is my favorite of that bunch. I’m a big fan of Islays.

DrA5 likes this.
  7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

On the bourbon side, I paid $18 for a two ounce pour of Bulleit last night. Usually you have to drink scotch to get bent over like that.

8. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I hope they had the common decency to give you a reach around on that @JBraun

JBraun likes this.
  9. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

lol the bottle doesn't even cost $18 at the store. whyyyyyy? haha

10. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Where do you live where Bulleit is less than $20 a bottle?? Round these parts it's around $30+

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  11. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

MD right outside of DC. Montgomery County regulates all liquor sales, so they buy as if they were a giant wholesale client and have their own warehouses. because of that, they sometimes clear out pallets of this or that for dumb deals. I swore i've bought Bulleit for like $16 or $18 before, but its also been probably 10 years since i've bought one. you'll sometimes randomly see dope stuff for like 25-30% lower than it should be on sale. i haven't bought a bottle of whiskey in a few years now though. i've had a Macallan 12 for 1.5 years now that i've taken 2 drinks out of, and an Auchentoshan 18 that's been sitting for 8 months unopened on my counter. been kinda over drinking the last few years. i dunno, could be more now.

Dave_SV likes this.
  12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Right? It was at the Mauna Kea resort on the Big Island. Interesting crowd over there. They really know how to party. :rolleyes:

13. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Bulleit is $19 here for a 750, I buy the 1.75 for $36 instead. Total Wine is the best.

14. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

The Jim Beam Double Oak was so good I got a bottle of the 2x as expensive Woodfords DO, hope to crack it soon.

15. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Just picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace. Meh.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Could you expound on the “Meh” please? It got lost in translation. The BT was ok but it was not sweet enough for me. It was priced ok.

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Couple weeks ago I went shopping for some Old Forester. They didn't have the regular 80 proof stuff, so I tried some 100 proof version they had... and since it was only a 750ml I got a 1.75 of Old Crow too. Finished the last of it last night... I think I'm done with bourbon for a while.

18. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Old Forester was good that I recall. The Old Crow I’ve never had.

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Old Crow is the "well" bourbon in a lot of bars, it's decent for cheap.

20. Phl218

Phl218 .

I am out of bourbon

But i have some captain and coke here