1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Bitcoin Thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by six6two, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But weed at least has a use :D

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Dead cat bounce right now.

3. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

These people really need a new playbook, same old demonization tactics

“In areas like cryptocurrencies, like Bitcoin, we should be looking at these very seriously,” May said in a television interview in Davos with Bloomberg’s Editor-in-Chief John Micklethwait. Action on crypto-currencies may be needed “precisely because of the way they are used, particularly by criminals,” she said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...will-look-very-seriously-at-action-on-bitcoin

4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I’d take this as a good sign. When the state tries to legislate it’s because it feels threatened. If they feel threatened it’s because they see crypto currency as a credible replacement for what they offer. They can try to legislate and regulate all they want. The government can’t stop an idea whose time has come. Look how well the state does in stopping drug use for instance.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: Sorry but that makes no sense.

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Hmmmmm ... I guess that you were replying to one of the two posts before yours... Which one, though? The idiocy of the Bloomberg quote or the valid points that SGVrider posited? :Poke:

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Or the potential for criminal use? Not everything is a conspiracy.

9. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well shit let me run out and get all money in cash so I can stick in a mattress.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nah, don't do that Kenny. I've got some ins at MCI, they're solid as a rock. :D

12. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

You do know crypto doesn’t gain interest right? So whether it’s in a mattress, written in a piece of paper, or stored on an online exchange, it’s all pretty much the same.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I think his point is that with a metric shit ton of cash in his mattress his wealth isn't a glitch, hack or "Do you really want to delete this" away.

GixxerBlade likes this.
  14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

Both :D

16. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

It being useful for criminals pretty much acknowledges the fact that it’s largely outside state control. Crime by definition is breaking the laws of the government. So by helping criminals, isn’t it by definition reducing the power of the government? If crypto currency helps rationalize our failed drug prohibition policies by making it an even more dismal uncontrollable mess such that the state gives up on it, all the better. If it reduces the power of the state to generate currency out of thin air through monetary policy, all the better.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  17. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member