1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Beeb's Best Recipes

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

The pizza sauce I got from Worthless was really good, I did add some chili flake for some heat and some wine too. I never seem to be able to leave any recipe alone. :)

2. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

It didn't suck... here's the recipe. It is an original (to my knowledge).

*It's long... sorry.*

PJ’S BUFFALO CHICKEN CHOWDER

1 WHOLE CHICKEN

APPLEWOOD RUB

8OZ APPLE JUICE

3 YELLOW ONIONS - MEDIUM SIZE - CHOPPED TO YOUR DESIRED SIZE.

1 BUCNH CELERY (8-10 STALKS) CHOPPED OR SLICED

1 BAG OF CARROTS (8-10) CHOPPED OR SLICED

6-8 MEDIUM POTATOES - DICED TO DESIRED SIZE

2 TB MINCED GARLIC

2 TB OLIVE OIL

1/2 STICK BUTTER

1 AND 1/4 CUP SWEET BABY RAY’S BUFFALO WING SAUCE/GLAZE

6 CUPS CHICKEN BROTH

1.5 CUPS HEAVY CREAM

2 CANS CREAMED CORN

1 CAN WHOLE CORN

3 - 4OZ TUBS OF CRUMBLED BLUE CHEESE

KOSHER SALT - 2 TB

CRACKED/TABLE GRIND BLACK PEPPER - 2 TB

PREP THE CHICKEN WITH THE RUB. GET IT UNDER THE SKIN ON THE BREAST AND UNDER THE SKIN ON THE LEGS. RUB THE WHOLE CHICKEN. YOU CAN USE SOME OLIVE OIL WITH THE RUB TO MAKE IT A PASTE IF YOU WANT. IN YOUR BAKING/ROASTING PAN, PUT IN THE APPLE JUICE, A CUP OR SO OF WATER AND A LITTLE OLIVE OIL AS WELL. I TOOK A SMALL ONION AND QUATERED IT, AND TOSSED IT INTO THE BIRD’S CAVITY FOR A LITTLE AROMA. THROW THE FRIGGIN’ CHICKEN IN A PREHEATED OVEN AT 375* AND ROAST TO AN INTERNAL BREAST TEMP OF 165*. IT’LL TAKE ABOUT 1.5-2HRS. USE A GOOD THERMOMETER TO CHECK YOUR BIRD TEMP. ONCE THE BIRD IS IN THE OVEN…

GET YOUR BIG STOCK POT OUT. (THIS RECIPE MAKES A BIG BATCH OF CHOWDER!) OVER MEDIUM HEAT, MELT THE BUTTER AND 2TB OF OLIVE OIL JUST ENOUGH SO IT’S BLENDED. DON’T LET THE BUTTER BURN! TOSS IN YOUR MINCED GARLIC AND SAUTE IT FOR ABOUT A MINUTE OR TWO (AGAIN, DON’T LET IT BURN). TOSS IN YOUR CHOPPED ONIONS AND LET IT SIMMER UNTIL SOFT, ABOUT 10 MINUTES OR SO. ADD YOUR KOSHER SALT AND BLACK PEPPER - YOU CAN ADD MORE OR LESS DEPENDING ON HOW OBVIOUS YOU WANT THESE TO BE NOTICED. ME… I LIKE THE FLAVOR OF CRACKED BLACK PEPPER AND TEND TO ADD MORE THAN WHAT MOST PEOPLE LIKE. THE 2TB IS WHAT IS USED THIS TIME, AND IT WAS NOT TOO MUCH.

NOW, IF YOU WANT YOUR CARROTS AND CELERY TO BE SOFTER, TOSS THEM IN WHEN YOU TOSS THE ONIONS IN. OR YOU CAN WAIT UNTILL AFTER THE ONIONS HAVE SOFTENED UP AND TOSS THEM IN NOW. (I LIKE THEM TO KEEP SOME FIRMNESS SO THIS IS WHEN I PUT THEM IN.) AT THIS POINT, ADD THE CHICKEN BROTH AND YOUR CARROTS AND CELERY AND LET THAT SIMMER FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES. DON’T COOK YOUR POTATOES AHEAD OF TIME. THEY WILL COOK IN THE BROTH. ADD IN YOUR CORN, POTATOES AND WING SAUCE AND LET THE WHOLE MESS SIMMER. PROBABLY TURN THE HEAT DOWN TO A MEDIUM-LOW AND LET IT CRESCENDO TO A SLIGHT ROLLING BOIL. SIMMER FOR ABOUT ANOTHER 30 MINUTES OR SO, CHECKING THE DONENESS OF YOUR POTATOES. THEY SHOULD GET TO THE POINT WHERE YOU CAN GET A FORK INTO THEM, BUT YOU SHOULDN’T BE ABLE TO EASILY CUT THE CHUNKS IN HALF WITH THE FORK. THEY’LL CONTINUE TO SOFTEN AS YOU GO, BUT THEY’LL GET MUSHY IF YOU LET THEM COOK FOR TOO LONG.

AT THIS POINT THE CHICKEN SHOULD BE CLOSE TO BEING DONE. (I DIDN’T CHOP AND DICE THE VEGETABLES PRIOR TO PUTTING THE CHICKEN IN THE OVEN. AS IT ROSTED I PREPPED EVERYTHING AND THE TIMING WORKED OUT PERFECTLY.) GET THE CHICKEN ON THE COUNTER AND LET IT SIT FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES TO COOL DOWN, THEN PULL THAT SUMBITCH APART! I DIDN’T CARVE IT PERSAY. I CUT OUT THE BREAST MEAT AND PULLED THAT APART WITH MY HANDS. THE MEAT FROM THE LEGS, WINGS, AND THIGHS SHOULD PULL OF EASILY… JUST WATCH FOR CONNECTIVE TISSUE AND TENDONS WHEN PULLING THE LEGS. NOBODY WANTS TO CHOMP DOWN ON CARTILAGE WHEN THEY’RE EATING THE CHOWDER. GET ALL THE MEAT OF THAT CARCASS!! I PULLED IT TO VARIOUS CONSISTENCY… SOME SHREDS, SOME CHUNKS… I LIKE THE VARIABLE SIZES AS IT ADDS TO THE OVERALL AURA OF THE CHOWDER. THROW THAT PILE OF POULTRY INTO THE SIMMERING POT OF LOVE ON YOUR STOVE AND BASK IN THE AROMAS! IT SHOULD SMELL REALLY F’ING GOOD AT THIS POINT! IF YOU DON’T THINK SO, THEN YOU SUCK.

AT THIS POINT, YOUR TATERS SHOULD BE AS DONE AS YOU’LL WANT THEM, BUT AGAIN, MONITOR THEM AS YOU GO ALONG. **MONITOR THE LEVEL OF THE LIQUID IN YOUR POT!!!** YOU CAN ADD MORE BROTH OR EVEN JUST WATER TO KEEP THE LEVEL OF LIQUID HIGHER THAN THE VEGETABLES IN THE POT (NOT A LOT HIGHER, BUT ENOUGH TO KEEP THE VEGGIES COVERED). AT THIS POINT, YOU’RE ON THE HOME STRETCH. NOW YOU ADD THE HEAVY CREAM. NOW, DON’T JUST DUMP IT ALL IN AT ONCE… STIR IT IN SLOWLY BUT CONSISTENTLY. REMEMBER TO *STIR* AS YOU ADD IT IN. ONCE IT’S ALL IN, KEEP STIRRING SO THAT THE WHOLE MESS IS A NICE, UNIFORM COLOR AND CONSISTENCY. AFTER YOUR CREAM IS BLENDED IN, LET IT SIMMER FOR ANOTHER 10 MINUTES OR SO TO LET THE HEAT OF THE WHOLE POT COME BACK UP.

NOW YOU CAN ADD IN 2 TUBS OF THE CRUMBLY BLUE CHEESE (KEEP THE 3RD TO GARNISH). I DID 1 TUB AND LET IT BLEND IN, THEN ADDED THE 2ND TUB. KEEP STIRRING!!! ONCE THE BLUE CHEESE IS BLENDED IN, THE CHOWDER IS PRETTY MUCH DONE AND READY TO SERVE. I DISHED IT OUT IN A SHALLOW SOUP DISH, AND GARNISHED WITH A LITTLE CRUMBLY BLUE AND SOME CRUSHED RED PEPPER FLAKES.

NOTES:

THIS MAKES A **BIG** BATCH OF CHOWDER. YOU’VE BEEN WARNED.

YOU CAN PROBABLY SUB THE WHOLE CHICKEN WITH BONELESS CHICKEN BREASTS. FOR THIS RECIPE, I’D PROBABLY USE ABOUT 4-5 POUNDS OF CHICKEN BREAST. THE WHOLE CHICKEN I USED WAS ABOUT A 9 POUNDER, SO IT YIELDED ABOUT 5-6# OF MEAT MAYBE? YOU CAN PAR-BOIL THE CHICKEN BREASTS IF YOU WANT TO MAKE LIFE EASY BUT I THINK YOU’D LOSE OUT ON FLAVOR. BUT, IF YOU’RE MAKING THIS CHOWDER, YOU PROBABLY DON’T GIVE A FART ABOUT BEING HEALTHY, SO USE A WHOLE FRIGGIN’ CHICKEN!

YOU COULD SMOKE YOUR CHICKEN. THAT WOULD ADD A DIFFERENT DIMENSION OF FLAVOR TO THIS. AND I MIGHT TRY THAT NEXT TIME.

I USED IDAHO POTATOES, WHICH IN MY OPINION, SHOULD BE THE ONLY KIND OF POTATO YOU USE IN CHOWDER. BUT YOU COULD PROBABLY SUB RED POTATOES IF YOU WANT. IF I DID REDS, I’D LEAVE THE SKIN ON, BUT THAT’S JUST ME.

NEXT TIME, I MIGHT ADD ANOTHER CAN OF WHOLE CORN. I LIKE CORN. AND DON’T DRAIN THE CORN.

THE RUB - I USED GRILLMATES APPLEWOOD RUB. I LIKE IT BUT YOU CAN USE WHATEVER RUB YOU LIKE IF IT MAKES CULINARY SENSE. (IE., I WOULDN’T USE A SIMON&GARFUNKEL, CORNELL, OR SWEET CINNAMON RUB FOR THIS)

THE HEAT/SPICY LEVEL OF THIS RECIPE GIVES YOU ABOUT WHAT YOUR AVERAGE “MEDIUM” WING WOULD GIVE YOU AT YOUR FAVORITE WING PLACE. IT SHOULDN’T OFFEND THE CROWD OR SEND ASTHMATICS INTO AN ATTACK. IF YOU WANT TO KICK UP THE HEAT, ADD IN SOME HABANEROS OR EVEN JALAPENOS. I THINK HABANEROS WOULD GIVE A BETTER FLAVOR, BUT WILL GIVE A HIGHER HEAT SCALE, ESPECIALLY IF THEY GET ADDED IN EARLY. CRUSHED RED PEPPER ADDED TO THE MIX WILL OBVIOUSLY HELP WITH HEAT, BUT WOULDN’T GIVE THE FLAVOR THAT FRESH PEPPERS WOULD.

TOTAL TIME FROM START TO FINISH FOR ME WAS ABOUT 4 HOURS, BUT I WAS TAKING NOTES AND TAKING MY TIME BECAUSE I WANTED THIS TO BE A SUCCESS. IT’S NOT AN HOUR JOB. IT IS A LABOR OF LOVE. I’D PLAN ON 2-3 HOURS FOR THIS.

pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JCW likes this.
  3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Had to dig it up...Saturday night is looking like another pizza night
    Sometimes I'll just use straight San Marzanos that I hit with a stick blender, but, usually I like to kick it up a notch.

Pizza sauce recipe:
    1 can (28 ounces) San Marzano tomatoes. They usually come as whole tomatoes in a puree. I strain out the puree and then crush the tomatoes with a potato masher if you like some chunks of tomatoes or you can run them through the food processor or use stick blender. I only ever use the ones in the can. If you're going to use fresh, you'll want to blanch them first to remove the skins.
    1 teaspoon salt or to taste. Some tomatoes are more/less salty, so, you may want to start with 1/2 teaspoon, wait until all ingredients are mixed, then add more if necessary.
    1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh basil
    1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh oregano.
    1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder (not garlic salt and not a real fine powder) or you can use 3-5 cloves of fresh minced garlic depending on your love/hate of garlic.
    1-2 tablespoons of GOOD balsamic vinegar. The stuff I use is about $50/bottle

Unlike some tomato sauce recipes, do not cook this

4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Pizza dough (disclaimer...I've only used this in my wood fired oven where temps get around 800-900 degrees...haven't done it in a regular oven)
    Yield - 3 doughs approx 12"

500 grams of Caputo 00 flour
    3 grams active dry yeast
    10 grams freshly ground sea salt
    325 grams of water

Mix 80% (400 grams) of flour, salt, and yeast.
    Bring water too 115 degrees and add.
    Mix until just combined.
    Let sit and do nothing for 20 min. Also called 'autolyze'.
    Knead the dough by hand for about 5 minutes gradually adding in the last 100 grams of flour.
    Make a ball by folding half over, then half over again, then close/pinch the seam.
    Place in butter-flavored cooking sprayed bowl, cover, and let rise/double. About 1.5-2 hrs.
    Remove dough, punch the air out, and split into 3 pieces...about 270 grams each
    Roll each piece into a ball by folding over, then half over again and close/pinch the seam. May have to repeat this to get a nice smooth skin. Lightly dust with flour and let rest for at least 1 hour.
    If you aren't going to use it within 2 hrs, refrigerate instead of letting it rest. Pull from refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature...usually takes about 75-90 minutes.

5. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Poached egg Benedict with ham for breakfast this morning. Hollendaze from scratch. Sprinkled with parmesan, pepper, and green onion

Dinner last night was aged and pan seared rare steak with siriracha glazed sweet potatoes and grilled garlic gloves

IMG_0498.JPG IMG_0501.JPG

6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

And this is a recipe, how??

7. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Forgive me. I'll type it up when I put the tit sucker down for a nap.

Funkm05 likes this.
  8. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Tease. :D

9. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Jesus, Cortez, necro much?

Try this recipie for smoked salmon - it's not 'dry', but 'hotplate moist'.

Brine: 1/4 cup salt
    1 gal water
    1/2 tsp dill
    1 tbs garlic
    1/4 tbs black/pink peppercorns
    1/4 cup brown sugar

Boil the water, add the rest when you take it off heat. I use a 9x11" Pyrex baking dish to pour the brine into and cool to room temp.

Add the fish (I use the Norwegian/Scandanavian 'Atlantic Salmon' from Costco, not the Peruvian one), and brine in the fridge for 12-24 hr.

Cold smoke in the smoker - if you don't have the means to keep the temp under 100' while charring wood, get one of the sawdust/pellet coil cold smokers (one like this). I go for an hour or so of smoke, it's moderately heavy. I use Cherry and Pecan.

bake in the oven at 180' for 2 hrs.

Serve the old biddies on a hotplate, with Triscuits.

This has NEVER failed me.

Works great for family holiday (Thanksgiving/Christmas) gatherings.

I do it differently for 'dry' smoked salmon (kinda candy-like). No brine, just dryrub with garlic, dill, pepper, kosher salt, brown sugar. The key to that style is air-drying the fish for a day until it forms a 'pellicle', then dry-rubbing it and allowing to airdry for a second pellicle before smoking, no hotter than 180' F.

10. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

11. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Necromancy. You brought the thread back from the grave - the last post before your Eggs Benedict was November 13, 2015.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So - my recipe is this:

3 pork shoulders at 8 pounds. 18 hours in the smoker at 200 degrees. Best pulled pork ever.

Phl218 and cortezmachine like this.
  13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

No marinade? No flavoring? Just 18 hours of smoke?

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

1/2 lb ground beef
    Coarse grated sharp cheddar and Parmesan
    Fresh thyme
    2 slices of bacon minced
    1 cup of IPA
    Salt and pepper

Blend in KitchenAid for 10 min

Make 3 equal balls

Press in burger press

Throw on grill 3-4 min each side

Put in between a bun or go naked

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing but smoke.

16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Couldn't see the pics cause my eyes are bleeding from reading that.

Lol

Phl218 likes this.
  17. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Hey, I said it was long!

Make it, you'll love it! You may have to invite the neighborhood over because it makes a big batch.

18. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Don't even know where to begin. Somewhere between laughing and crying as a chef

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

way to kill a thread chef

20. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I'm still drunk, in Belize trying to catch little fish on a flyrod only to let them go. So don't take any thing I say with a grain of salt!