1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The art of the leg hump.

Discussion in 'General' started by Lever, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Ok, ok...I missed you guys too :) (well...except for Acree..)

I've been running my own consulting business helping brewery startups for about 4-5 years now. Sure...they may not be my brewery, but I've helped start a bunch of breweries all over the US. Keeps me pretty busy, and a big reason I haven't been hanging out on the board as much as I used to. Speaking of new breweries, next time all you clowns go to Road Atl head down 53 to Braselton's newest brewpub (No need to thank me Mongo...you're welcome :cool: ). I had the privilege of performing their feasibility study. Pretty cool little concept pub that's retrofitting an old cotton mill. Want to say they're right across the street from the Black Cow Grill? The business has actually been a lot of fun but it's come with working some pretty ridiculous hours. 6:30am Saturday morning, and I'm busy retrofitting the website.

Here's a few shots from the progress Braselton's made over the last few weeks...and yes, the entire building is held together by jb weld :cool: If any of you guys live in the area, make sure you follow them on facebook. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So wait, you have no experience opening your own but consult for other people? :crackup:

Dragginass and Shenanigans like this.
  3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Kind of like a non-racer running a race organization?

:D

weber#465 likes this.
  4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Those who can, do
    Those who can't, teach
    Those who can't teach, consult

(I'll admit I stole that)

5. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Ha! Yeah, there was no frying pan...I just jumped straight into the fire, lol. Turns out I have a knack for planning and the start-up processes of business (go figure), but kind of fell into the industry by accident. We started and stopped the family brewery for one reason or another at least 4 times over 2-3 years. After we found out we were having Eli (our youngest), it was finally the nail in the coffin and we decided it was just too risky to start such a capital intensive business. Instead, we decided to put our savings towards a bigger house and kept our old house as a rental and I'd be a stay at home dad (yes, Lever, the home maker :cool:). At first, I was like how the hell am I gonna be a stay at home dad? Now, I wouldn't trade it for the world....absolutely love it. :)

After the (final) decision not to start the brewery, just sort of forgot about it for the next month or two. Was pretty disappointed I'd put so much work into the brewery business plan (it was 100+ pages at that point) and we were kind of dead in the water. Had the idea that maybe the business plan would help other brewers, so offered it up for sale for $200 on the forums I'd frequented for the last few years. It surprised me as much as anybody, but first month sold 2. Next month sold 3...so started to think...ok, maybe there's something to this...so setup a website for brewery business plans. Couple clients were impressed with the business plan, so they asked me to help them build their business plans. Didn't feel comfortable commenting on certain sections since I didn't have the experience - specifically with the production side of things, so brought in a couple industry vets to fill in the gaps...and that's how the consulting began.

The custom business plans lead to the custom feasibility studies. The studies led to the certified vendor network. It's not been easy and it's been a learning experience to say the least, but definitely rewarding. Stopped taking new clients to focus on some really cool stuff in the works for the website that I just haven't been able to focus on for like the last year. Today is the first day in about 2 years I haven't had a deadline hanging over my head. Kind of feel like I'm going to get hit by a meteor or struck by lightning or something, lol.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    HPPT likes this.
  6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

25 years ago there were more brains than money in brewing; now it’s reversed. Bottom will drop. Hopefully Jeff leaves the actual brewing operations to people less prone to J-B weld certification. That said, more good programs are starting up. Used to be Davis and Siegel and that was it.

Bugslayer likes this.
  7. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

If you need help on the automation side, let me know. We have done several small breweries as well as AB InBev. Look us up. Stone Technologies.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have experience running races, I started corner working and officiating and learned. Notice I don't advise people on how to go faster :D

pscook likes this.
  9. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Does that mean I'm more qualified to run WERA than you are, Mr. Sacko :Poke: :D :p ? Let's see, Cornerworker...check. Racer? Kind of...we know that I'm at least faster than talbott and buckwild :cool: Announcer? Check (and far sexier than Greg White or Mr. Microphone [combined] I might add)! I.T. extraordinaire? Hacked our fanstasy football league to trade Benjarvis Green-Ellis for Aaron Rodgers, so yep. (Hey Scotty! :D) AND...I can brew a mean DIPA. I feel a coup coming on :cool: well...that or pie.

LOL...In all seriousness, I couldn't picture anybody else that could herd cats...errr...racers and all these other knuckleheads as well as you guys [Ev included] have all these years. :) Well, with the exception of making DaveK a moderator. I thought there was a height requirement for that and a no pink polos policy?

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Liar. Thief . Cat Killer.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No it doesn't. :D

Although I think I could advise people on opening brew pubs with a little study :Poke: :D