1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks to the one that made it all possible...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Gorilla George, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No I expect it to blow up because it's a hand grenade with more moving parts. Even when it is running perfectly it is essentially trying to tear itself apart. I have cooked a few turkeys between microwave transmitters so I at the very least I have a healthy respect for them. I'm not saying we are wrong. I'm just saying it is a possibility.

2. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

I saw Darren Luck do that once down at Homestead. He left out the god stuff, so I guess that you're still right.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I find it difficult to believe that what we're seeing when looking way back is real scale, let alone are we capable of capturing the moment it all happened. That bang moment has surely passed us by and is so far into the future that we'll never see it, unless it's doing laps.
    Consider the difference between telephoto, fish eye and portrait lenses. What appears normal to us isn't necessarily the way it is when weighed against the view of other than human eyes. Dimensions unknown and unseeable by us may have a view, but we will never...

Relative to our instrumentation, I can accurately enough pace off a distance walking heel-to-toe and know whether I can squeeze a trailer into a tight spot...no need for a tape measure. Can a tape measure mark distances greater than the length of a trailer? Sure, I have a 200' tape, but it's useless for accurate straight line measurements on any terrain that isn't flat and then its precision is suspect due to environmental conditions (heat/cold). Am I to trust the universe is flat when using radiotelemetry, or that these waves are unaffected by forces beyond our knowledge?
    Our view is skewed.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Out of curiosity, has any scientific theory accepted as fact ever been replaced with a new scientific theory accepted as fact?

You don't see a difference between choosing to enter a forum dedicated to political and religious discussions and someone coming to your home uninvited to preach?

5. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you based on any knowledge I personally have, but these are also all of the fundamental questions scientists are asking as they create the tools and technologies. Theoretical mathematics and astrophysics are constantly trying to incorporate new knowledge into the science and are not afraid of upending the science when necessary. And in the last 20 years especially the field is exploding to the point where I'm hesitant to even watch a documentary from 3 years ago because it's probably not up to date.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

By those tokens, can you also then say we require Faith in Man?

7. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

The flat earth theory was one.

Quite a few theories have been superseded, even some atomic that were recent. Newton’s law was proven inaccurate when approaching ludicrous speeds.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nihilism is the one True Religion.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Flat earth round earth, earth as center of universe versus sun as center :D

10. Chino52405

I definitely have faith that man will constantly try to prove the accomplishments of others null - creating science.

11. Chino52405

All prior to the creation of the scientific method.

Edit: also worth noting that some ancient Greeks had already proven the world was round by measuring shadows. Religion plunged the scientific world backward numerous times.

Gorilla George and SuddenBraking like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So wait, science just started recently? Who created the method anyway?

13. Chino52405

14. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Some say the greeks and Aristotle.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So men. Kind of like those that invented god(s). Huh.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

17. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Uh huh, the jews gave us divine meaning and the greeks gave us reasoning.

18. Chino52405

I see that as kind of the point. The Greeks had begun a tradition of skepticism and debate that couldn't overcome the tides of formal religion and it's grasp on control in the ancient world. It took until after Galileo was forced to renounce solid science by the Vatican for this to gain any steam.

I'd argue those in search of science and rationality have a bone to pick with religion that goes back a lot longer than US schools trying to teach creationism in science class.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The Greeks did divine too, they just had a lot more gods :D

20. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member