1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TGPR gearing 2000 GSXR 750

Discussion in 'General' started by corvette95, Feb 18, 2002.

1. corvette95

corvette95 Well-Known Member

Hi, just got my racing license and my first time will be at Talladega. What gearing do you suggest for a stock GSXR 750? Also, what are the first mods should I do to make a street 750 into a track only 750? Thanks for your input and be easy on me...I am new at this! BTW 5'10 180lbs 207 gp stars.

2. mad brad

mad brad Guest

buy a sport rider, set the suspension to the recommended settings, then have fun and learn.

3. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

If you were on a small bike, I'd recomend gearing down to close up the ratio's, but on a powerful 750, stock gearing will be just fine.(especially considering your experience level) You'll probably spend the entire day in 2nd and 3rd gears, wich isn't really that bad as you'll spend less time thinking about shifting.(more time learning how to go fast) If you insist on changing the gearing, put on a 1tooth smaller countershaft and you'll be using 2nd, 3rd and an occasional 4th. You'll also spend a fair amount of time and effort trying to keep the front wheel on the ground!

4. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I know this is a 750 gearing question but in comparison I have 1 down on the front of my '01 GSXR600 & I am running 3rd, 4th & 5th (rarely 5th unless I forget & slip it up going into the sweeper, bad idea). I actually could use 1-2 more up on the rear in addition to the 1 down in the front. In stock form it was a bear to go fast on at TGPR, I was using 2nd-3rd mostly & even 1st at times [​IMG] . Only thing is now it will spin up the rear hard if the tires not hot [​IMG] even hot my rear tire is shredding a little [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Tailender (edited 02-19-2002).]

5. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

16/46 worked great on my 01 gsxr 600 turning 102's if running any faster a 45. I try to gear for what the fast guys are running, don't want to use gearing as a crutch. Sometimes it does help to gear low if you know you have to deal with a lot of traffic.

6. roy826ex

I like the 1 down in the front, seems to keep the engine on the boil between 9-13k rpm where it makes the most power. Anything lower than 9k & its bogging. Tight gearing like what I have is most likely the reason my rear tires looks so bad after 1/2 a day of practice. 16-45 is stock ('01 600) which like I said earlier I had alot of trouble with at TGPR. I may try your setup next time out 16-46. I love the strong pull off the corners with the 1 down in the front though [​IMG]

I forgot 1 important thing, you get great starts with 1 down in the front. Like being shot out of a cannon [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Tailender (edited 02-19-2002).]

7. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Use what gearing works best for you and the speed you are running but be careful not to use gearing as a crutch for corner speed. If you're geared low and start to increase your corner speed a screaming engine can be difficult to deal with. Good luck.

8. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Common wisdom is to gear so that you top out top gear at the end of the longest staight.

Of course that doesn't always work. My GS would be (even more) hopelessly short If it were...

9. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Common yes, but in what gear? How does that affect gearing for other corners? I'd give up a little at the top to get off the corners better. It's best to know gear ratios in all gears not just the final drive.

10. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

6th.
    You gear to use the whole gear range as a "base line" and then go up or down and around to solve specific turns.

At least thats what Ed says. [​IMG]

11. roy826ex

I think the 3.00 final ratio I have works well at TGPR. I do not think that I am using the gearing as a crutch. In 4th it has really good drive off the corner in the sweeper & in 3rd going onto the front straight it is right in the meat of the powerband. I am always willing to experiment with different setups but I will always go with what works best for me in the end. As long as I have a properly heated rear tire the bike runs very strong with the current setup.

I have seen people with the F4's running really tight gearing more so than mine. Friend of mine was running a 14 front 45 rear & one guy had a 50 rear 1 down in the front [​IMG] This is my 1st 600 in 7 years, I have been riding big torque bikes up to now so I'm ready for the power ASAP not the bogging up to the rev range scenerio with tall gearing.

12. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Theory and reality don't always mix. If they did you would have a ten foot chain at Talladega. [​IMG]

13. SpEd

SpEd poor impulse control

Of course if you do this and are drafting someone and pop out you don't have anything left. Always leave just a little for that battle. If you go to small in the front you will eat chains as well. Of course you run the same bike as me so disregard everything I just said.

14. shaun681racing

shaun681racing Well-Known Member

opie caylor runs 16/43 and it also works for me, should be enough said

15. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

which bike 750 or 600?

16. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

the lap record was set with stock gearing
    thats what I use 16/45 but if your not doing at least 4's this gearing will not work for you same thing with cc but one up one the rear16/46
    tally is an exception to the gearing rule
    there are a couple tracks like that.
    use wath worksm for you
    bc61 you were looking alot better come sunday
    later Ricky

17. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Thanks Ricky, following you that last few laps on Friday helped alot.

18. hazbin

hazbin forgotten crewman

every rider is diff.i used stock

19. cb500

anytime

20. cb500

shaun is talking about the 750