1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla Truck reveal happening now.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Nov 21, 2019.

1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Urbanization is markedly increasing in the US. I expect a steady decline of private car ownership. The goal of rideshare companies isn’t ultimately ride sharing. They want to build a user base they can convert to transportation as a service. That’s where the money is at, and it’s better for urban consumers. Owning and operating a vehicle is incredibly expensive. For an asset that sits unused 95%. It’s inevitable that urban consumers will switch to mobility as a service because it’ll be 10% the cost. If it worked well right now I’d be happy to dump 1 of our 2 cars and only use MaaS on weekdays.

2. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Me too. I have a 1098 with a Leo Vince full system, and it's the most beautiful thing I've ever heard pulling through 9k RPM.

The wife and I looked at the new-gen Mustang when it came out, and were impressed with the stats on the new 2.3l Ecoboost engine, but they lost us entirely with the asinine "fake engine noise" bullshit. It's a high-revving four, let it sound like what it is! Fake-ass bullshit.

We have looked closely at Tesla Model S and 3's, and they would certainly take some getting used to. My wife would likely be the first one, but she's have to trade in her BMW 335i X-drive so that's a fairly high bar for an EV to clear.

3. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

When we lived in NYC in the late 70's my family paid as much for garage storage of our car as we did for rent. Luckily NYC has a large public transport system, I can see something like that being a significant challenge in Houston or Atlanta.

4. wac

wac Well-Known Member

Anyway... 250k “ orders”

5. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Unbelievable. There must be something there, but damn if I can see it yet.

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

There is...probably half that number will actually stick around to buy it and of that another half is buying it just have a YouTube channel about it. A 1/4 of what is left over is the "I just have to have it first." crowd and the rest make up normal folks.

zrx12man likes this.
  7. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Besides the high cost, what worries me is some of the batteries in the Tesla are catching fire.

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I was wrong Zoran.

He put in a 30 panel 8.1Kwh system for $8,000 after the federal tax credit of 30%. His average bill was $175 per month and it is now zero, even with the purchase of the electric car.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well since I can't register it any longer......that makes them illegal.

I was actually quite surprised. Regarding consumer cars, in all previous emission related things, you only had to meet the rules as they were the year of manufacture. However on these commercial diesels we are having to meet emissions from 2010 or newer.

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

So you can't get a new IC engine and register it?

11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

My house is on perfect spot for solar but every time I look at cost of it makes no sense to do it. I would still need electric to power machines in garage. I be dead before it is paid off. My average electric bill is $75.
    Is he happy with Bolt, I been thinking about getting it for wife. It would be perfect commuter for her if I can get her to give up S5 :)

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

EVs are even OLDER tech for autos. The first examples date back to the 1830s. IC engines are still developing and improving, along with all sorts of other tech. If it actually goes stagnate, then maybe you can trot out the 'old tech' troupe.

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Mobility as a service isn't sustainable. Just look at how upside down Uber and Lyft are. They've also increased traffic and pollution, the very things they were supposed to alleviate. They aren't anywhere close to being able to turn a profit and they never will. At least Tesla can shuffle numbers around and turn a profit when Elon wants to stick it to short sellers.

https://www.citylab.com/transportat...stion-ride-hailing-cities-drivers-vmt/595393/

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

But one thing is for sure, they really helped to reduce drunk driving.

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Bring back carburetors, points, distributors, and enough room to sit in the engine compartment to work on that shit. Oh, and no A/C, roll up windows, am radio, and make it weigh 6000 lbs and take two miles to stop because of drum brakes.

So just erryone pee off and get off my lawn.

Steeltoe, Banditracer and zrx12man like this.
  16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Remember when you could open the hood and still see the ground around the engine ? Ah, the good old days...

Well unless you had a 428 stuffed in a Mustang or something. :D

17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

That is the problem I have with the whole electric vehicle thing. They are not a viable technology on their own yet for a large majority of people but with a little help from Big Brother they will get them socially engineered out through regulations. Regulate out the old diesels. And then, next on the chopping block...

18. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

You do understand this literally happens with everything, right? How many farmers would remain in the USA if not for federal subsidies?

19. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

It looks like drilling into a battery won’t be of concern. So, how hard is it to drill this type of material?

01A25726-E9C0-4CC3-9227-C2AAECE10C16.jpeg

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

All of them.