1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla Truck reveal happening now.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Nov 21, 2019.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Every time there is one of these threads about the direction society is going I can't help but think what a brilliant man George Orwell was...

tl1098, pscook and Phl218 like this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Only if you plan to give Methuselah a run for his money.

SGVRider and brex like this.
  3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

So californistan is good with IC engines, got it. Not illegal.

4. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I plan to live forever. So far so good.

5. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yes he was, but his writings come from a long tradition as old as writing itself. The Bible identifies some of the hallmarks of fascism in Revelations. People would only be able to buy and sell with the mark of the beast, etc. Authoritarian impulses and people haven’t changed, only technology has. The struggle between individualism and collectivism is the root of most schisms in society and always has been.

Gino230 likes this.
  6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Biofuels still run in what?
    Oh yeah, IC engines. Hydrogen, biofuels, something not even out there yet. All alternatives to shitty, dirty EVs and the destruction their batteries bring.
    As more real car companies get into EVs, the only death it will bring is that of the garbage build quality Tesla half-ass car company.
    Lots of big money from the big companies in other technologies, including further fossil fuel efficiencies. The one that is most cost efficient to the people without "what way does the wind blow?" tax breaks will win.
    So far, EVs are VERY far from that.

7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Which stocks? :D

8. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Not illegal, however a percentage of all new vehicles sold must be "Zero Emissions Vehicles", and that percentage is not going to go down. On a related note, people on here old enough to remember the famous LA smog can clearly see the results of the strict California legislation.

9. SGVRider

They’re not old tech and have tons of life left. You’ll be dead long before they go out of widespread use. What’ll really happen is that they won’t be obviously predominant anymore. Electric vehicles are superior in most every way EXCEPT for the inherent limitations of battery technology. Range, charge time, climate variance, and mass are all inferior with electric. Electric does open up entirely new solutions both for individual transport units and systematically, so I expect to see them become a large part of the transport infrastructure.

If anything kills IC engines in cars it won’t be because batteries suddenly got better. It’ll be because new ownership and operating methodologies made electric a superior choice. I expect that to happen in 50ish years by transitioning car ownership to car access as a service. Personal air transport via drone also seems viable, and will probably become significant within the same timeframe.

10. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

You're leaving out the same thing most people on here leave out: Phasing out of IC vehicles is not being driven by the invisible hand of capitalism.

Gino230 likes this.
  11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

How old are you ? You keep saying in your lifetime, I'm 57 and it certainly won't happen in mine.

12. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

You may be looking at different indicators than I am to come to our respective conclusions. I'm 52.

SGVRider likes this.
  13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

So obvious, yet so readily dismissed or ignored by so many.

Rattlesnakes make much better pets than cats or dogs... they don't shed (often), don't have to go outside several times a day, don't bother the neighbors. Only issue is they're bitey.

14. SGVRider

Well, unfettered capitalism isn’t something that really exists in America. A large portion of the direction technology goes is determined by government policy and spending.

We charged the government with building infrastructure and managing transportation so pushing back on the negative externalities of fossil fuel vehicles is pretty much in line with what they’re supposed to do.

The predominance of IC vehicles is also supported by policy decisions and financial commitment from taxpayers, so I think doing the same for other technology is pretty much the same.

What I hate is when electrics or whatever technology are pushed because of baseless emotional irrationality instead of policy made on the basis of carefully considered research.

Instead of actively supporting electrics, I’d prefer to see us remove both direct and indirect support for fossil fuels. They have a lobby and power base though, so it’s probably not possible. This old adage is always true.

If it’s moving, tax it. If it’s still moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    zrx12man likes this.
  15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

You all are stupid. Those new fangled petroleum powered wagons are just a fad. Where will you fill up the tank when your in the middle of nowhere like Ohio or Kentucky? Sure they might be useful around the big cities like New York and Chicago but in the rural areas they will never totally replace the good of horse and buggy. And forget those silly 2 wheeled versions.... why would anyone deal with all that hassle when they can just jump on their horse and ride to town? Horse don’t need no gas, just water and grass.

-WERA BBS circa 1886

16. SGVRider

One important thing is that electric vehicles don’t necessarily need to attain the same energy densities as IC vehicles. Internal combustion engines need to be large to be efficient so it forces certain technical choices.

IMO, transportation as a service and increased urbanization will be the killer apps for electric cars. Electric vehicles are a better fit for corporate owned shared urban fleet vehicles with high utilization vs poorly utilized privately owned point to point cars. They also fit better into a multi modal regional transportation infrastructure.

zrx12man likes this.
  17. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I'm personally agnostic on the topic, just like on the topic of American-built sportbikes. Like most others, I'd get an EV if it met my needs. We just bought a new truck to replace our aging Range Rover, and we did discuss waiting for the Tesla truck announcement. I'm now glad we didn't for a number of reasons.

18. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

There is a difference between a stagecoach owner calling cars a fad and saying horses will be illegal by 1900.

Gorilla George, brex and Phl218 like this.
  19. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

They also fit squarely into the new ride-share model. It does make sense to call when you need a ride, rather than paying for a vehicle to sit idle in your driveway most of the time.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I am kind of agnostic but part of it for me is the mechanical noises produced by an IC. I like them and I like them more from inside the car than outside the car. I don't necessarily want to annoy everyone around me with an overly loud vehicle but I do really love sound of intake pulses. The IS-F we have in wonderful in that regard. The near silence of the electrics just makes them a little more bland to me and I don't think I would enjoy the ownership experience much.