1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teknic Xcelerator...?

Discussion in 'General' started by drizkol, Apr 8, 2009.

1. drizkol

drizkol Well-Known Member

Alright guys, I want to hear from people who have worn this suit and how you feel about it.. anyone crash tested this suit?

I've read the review on sportbiketrackgear.com; but I want some more opinions, thoughts, etc..

Thanks! :beer:

2. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

IMO, it's a darn good suit. Fell down twice (one low and one high side) and suit held up well. Typical scuffing but nothing thru the leather and the seams held up well, too. Finally, it was one of the best fitting "off the rack" suits I've had in a while.....next !!

3. volcomrr

volcomrr BUDDY

i like the Tecknic Xcelerator, its a step up from my last years suit (Teknic Violator).... and yea, first day out in it I crash tested it! :(

60-80mph highside (not sure how fast i was going).... but, i slide a decent way on the pavement before ending up in the grass, and the leather held up strong (slid on my back) no holes, just some rash

it fits great (like they say, it runs 1 size small).... the additional stretch panel make it comfortable while on the bike while keeping a tight fit to the body

4. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

ditto on the fit...forgot that point.

5. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

the 2009 version is no longer 1 size smaller fitting. It should be a normal fit now.. just FYI

6. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

I too have one, and agree that BY FAR it is the best fitting suit I ever had.

I have not crash tested mine (thakfully) but as a coach I go through gear at a pretty rapid rate. 30 days coaching is like 75 or 80 days of regular track riding due to the extra sessions. Plus helping out when someone crashes, etc etc. The suit has held up beautifully and cleans up really nice when I throw it in the wash.

7. drizkol

I'm 6'0" 178-182lbs - I was 190-195 last season, and fit in my 46 A* RC-1 well, now that suit was too large to be considered 'safe'. I wear a back protector and just recently picked up a chest guard (haven't worn it in a suit yet), can anyone with an '09 (or access to an '09 Xcelerator) verify that a 44 will fit me? Or should I go 46 to be on the safe side?

I'm sorry to hear about the crash testing, but it sounds like this suit is holding up well for you guys..!

8. drizkol

...? :confused:

9. YZFBeliever

I have an '08 model and was told that even though I always wore a 44 (J Rocket, A*) that I should get a 46. I took a chance that the 44 would work for me, I wanted a great fit. The 44 was tight at first but has broken in beautifully and I wear chest & back protectors. So in an '08 being that you are 2" taller than me (but the same weight) I would have said to buy the 46. If others are saying that the '09 is more "true" than I think the 44 will fit you.

Hey, I know it's a PITA and will cost you a few $$$ but worse case, you send it back for a different size.

10. YZFBeliever

Yes you can and in fact SHOULD wash a suit in the washing machine. especially once you start seeing that white residue which is salt and sweat.

That residue will break down the fibers in the stiching.

Do a search, there are some great articles on how to do it right

11. superbikestore

Yeah,
    That's what Barnical Bill does, and then he uses lanolin lotion to work into the leather afterwards. Sounds bad for sure, but if you pay BB 75$ to clean your suit for you, thats what he is going to do :up:

12. superbikestore

best I could say would be to take a look at this size chart. Put your back protector and chest protector on and take measurements.

http://www.superbikestore.net/pages/teknicsizechart.html

This is the 09 sizing.

13. YZFBeliever

EXACTLY!! What is leather? Dead skin, and what is lanolin or hand lotion used for? treating dry (dead) skin.

As the suit is drying, actually still a little damp but almost all the way dry, I rub in lanolin based lotion.

Read this article:

http://www.trackdaymag.com/Article.aspx?id=1462

14. drizkol

You guys are awesome, I appreciate all the feedback so far!

:beer:

15. Rx3

Rx3 1%

Xcellerator is the best suit I've ever owned (and I've had a few A-star suits prior). Crash tested hard twice, both times the suit held up very well leather barely scuffed, minor patching to elastic areas. Also the most comfortable suit I've worn, and definitelt the best fitting (as mentioned earlier). If you have a slim or athletic build I would recommend this suit if you have to get something off the shelf. They fit small, so go one size bigger (e.g. I wear 52 Euro/42 US in A-star, had to get a 44 in the Xcellerator)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  16. blettiere

blettiere Active Member

Got one. Size runs a bit small but it's comfy. Crashed in it twice. Second one was a 100mph slide for a long way. Typical scuffing all over and the kevlar stretch in my left armpit tore a bit at the seam. No other tears or seam failures, and it was a big off. Should be fixable. Not a critical area and based on how far I slid, I was happy that this was all that happened. Good suit, good value. I recommend it.

SOLID.