1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technical questions...not racing....I'm trying to invent something

Discussion in 'General' started by MarkB, Nov 20, 2008.

1. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

This is what I want. Two pieces of metal at opposite ends of a plastic tube, with a metal ball bearing that can roll from one end to the other.

I want one piece of metal to be a weak magnet that attracts the ball bearing.

I want the other piece to attract the ball-bearing ONLY when some kind of electro-magnetic force is applied to the area.

...so. I want a button that I press remotely and the ball-bearing scoots from one end of the tube to the other.

Any ideas???

And the invention is NOT glamourus. I just know that someone here can point me in the right direction....

:up:

2. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

WTH ??????:confused:

3. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

The hard part will be getting the highly enriched uranium for the ball bearing. :D

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

you need to pm young Nick Cesar...lol

5. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

It's all ball bearings, gauze pads and 10 weight motor oil nowadays anyway...

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Your gonna need to give me a length on the tube so I can see how much area you plan on blowing up

7. MarkB

picture a small car-bomb...

no seriously this is small

8. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

Sounds like you have answered your own question?
    Why not have an electromagnet at either end so that the switch releases the magnet on one side while energizing the other side. Theoretically, this should attract the ball bearing from one end to the other.
    The length of the travel and the weight of the bearing will determine how much strength the e-magnets will need to provide. I guess one would also need to know if the tube is going to be vertical or horizontal?

The idea of using e-magnets at both ends is that you have control over how much magnetic force you want to provide in either direction. You could use a "weak" magnet at one end but it will take a bit of searching to find something with just the right attraction?

Cheers
    Bernie

9. stickboy274

That's what I was thinking

10. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

That's what she said!!!

-steve

11. MarkB

Well, you cant access the metal, or the ball bearing etc. So no wiring the metal at each end. It ALL has to be through induction....the stuff is inside the body.

12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Have the energize-able side of the tube be simply a wall, and then bring a stronger magnet near it. No reason the energizeable magnet has to be actually attached to the tube.

13. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

What is it supposed to do?

14. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

What the hell kind of man-dildo is this?

15. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Sounds a lot like the device used in many cheap motion detector bike alarms.

16. stickboy274

Or a tip over switch with a magnet of two

17. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Just use a regular magnet on one end, and an electromagnet on the other. To weaken the regular magnet, just cover up the exposed end with tape or whatever you have handy, until you get just the amount of attraction you need. That way when you activate the electromagnet it'll pull the ball over. Or, you can just use electromagnets on both end, and set it up so either one's on, or the other. Don't make me bust out a paint shop picture just to show how simple this is. And I want 30% of any profits derived from any impending hijinks.

18. stickboy274

Your asking him to put a battery and some tape into a person.

19. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Actually I wasn't. But now that I know he's intending on putting his contraption into a human body, I most definitely am hoping that he'll use tape and batteries.

20. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

If he told ya, you would steal his invention :D