1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech Air 10 Feedback

Discussion in 'General' started by randomwalker, Apr 18, 2022.

1. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Mine stopped working, called astar yesterday, waiting on them to call me back so I can ship it to them.

cartmen34 likes this.
  2. cartmen34

cartmen34 Well-Known Member

Whelp, I spoke too soon. This one doesn't fucking work either.

It was working just fine. After charging it I tested it several times over the course of a few hours. Connected the belt, it powered on, went through all its system checks, and showed a solid green and yellow light indicating it was ready to go. It connected to the app no problem, 100% charge, system ready. I disconnected it from the charger. It was still on and connected to the app, ready to go. I disconnected the charger, made sure the belt was not connected, and walked away.

Yesterday I went back in to try it on with my leathers and IT WAS COMPLETELY DEAD. The LED Display still had a charge, but the vest wouldn't turn on. I tried charging it again overnight, but no bueno'. Nothing happens when I hook up the belt. No startup, no system checks, nothing. I tried several times. The only lights I get are from the LED Display which tells me it charge status.

I just heard back from AStars tech support. They'll give me a refund -OR- I have to wait until late July when their next shipment comes in.

This is fucking bullshit.

mpusch likes this.
  3. dylim

dylim Member

I have a similar experience. The first vest fully charged, connected to the app, everything looks normal. Then I disconnected the belt and left the remote led docked, and put it on hangers in the closet. Several days later, I could not get it to turn on or connect to the app. The led is still fully charged though, and if I leave it off for a while and dock it back, I can see that the remote led drained, but was able to charge from the vest, proving that the vest still has juice. But again, can't get it to turn on by closing the belt (led only ever indicates the battery level of the remote, nothing else), nor connect to the app. The vest seems to refuse a charge too.

Returned the vest, got another one. The second vest fully charged, connected to the app, everything looks normal. Then I disconnected the belt and left the remote led docked, and put it in the box. Several days later, I could not get the remote led to turn on whatever I do - dock, charge+dock, leave it docked for 12 hours, leave it off for hours and put it back etc. But the funny thing is the vest seems to still turn on and connect to the app. This is some weird voodoo vest!

BTW, I noticed that the vest seems to drain the battery very quickly - 100% to 91% in a matter of hours. (Belt open, remote led not docked). Something is seriously wrong with the QC.

cartmen34 likes this.
  4. tdelegram

Try charging the vest with led panel 20 feet away, that seemed to fix my issues. Get the suit to 80% or more charged, then connect the led panel so it can charge.

5. dylim

dylim Member

Thanks @tdelegram , I tried that already. The first vest just won't charge or turn on or connect to the app. Tried both cables, with or without the included adapter etc. The second vest itself seems to charge, turn on, and connect to the app fine, just the remote led seems dead. I have not tried riding it and see through the app whether it arms itself properly or not, since I'm debating whether to return this again.

Anyone else see a high self discharge/drain with the vest? I charged it to 100% yesterday, and now about 20 hours later it's at 80%. So about 1% per hour self drain! This effectively means that you'd have to remember charging it the day before you are planning to ride.

6. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I only use it on the weekends so I am perfectly fine with it draining a couple of days after a race weekend.

7. dylim

dylim Member

So yours drains fast too? You always charge it before the weekend?

8. dylim

dylim Member

Actually today I tried moving the remote to a different room and after several hours, now the light does come on when docked, but after the vest and the remote fully charged, now I have the reverse problem - it won’t turn off at all (all three leds constantly lit), even if I undock it, dock it and connect the belt etc, just like another person mentioned in this thread. It’s been over 5 hours now undocked and far away from the vest, and all three leds are still lit.

9. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I charge it the night before I leave for a race weekend and it stays charged for the weekend. How long after it stays charged? I don't know and I am not really concerned about it as I only use it one maybe 2 weekends a month.

dylim likes this.
  10. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

Rumor is it will be discontinued, has anyone heard the same/otherwise? Getting a custom tech-air race suit designed from vircos and I'm having second thoughts now

11. Cheetah740

Cheetah740 Member

My experience was very similar to Dylim. The moment I got it, I charged it and connected it to the app and it worked fine. Only the green and yellow lights were on which means it's working and it should go steady green after you get to 37 mph or more.

2 days later I go to a track day and and charge it up overnight but for some reason when I disconnected it all 3 lights stayed on. I tried everything but nothing worked. It would not connect to the app either.

I ended up contacting Alpine stars. They told me to send it in and when they received it they would send another one back out. I told them that I am an expert Racer and had a race the upcoming weekend and I bought this specifically for that weekend. The lady put me on hold but when she came back she said she would send me a shipping label and as soon as she saw movement on that shipping label she would ship me out a new one. I printed the label and shipped it out the same day and they also shipped out a new one the same day. They also mentioned they tested it before sending it out. The one they sent works just fine.

I'm 6' 2 and a 180 pounds. I thought the large would originally work fine but I had to go to the XL just because of it Pushing too hard into my neck. It is slightly hotter but I don't mind it too much as I usually stay in the suit when in the pits with the top half of the race suit off my arms wrapped around with a bungee cord but the tech air 10 is fully on (just unzipped). I do wear a undersuit under the vest.

Lmk if you guys have any questions I can help with.

G2G and youngR like this.
  12. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Alpinestars has repeatedly said over the last few months that Tech Air Race isn't going anywhere.

G2G likes this.
  13. dylim

dylim Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. When I got the first vest I emailed them ([email protected]), and never got a reply. How did you contact them?

Cheers!

14. Cheetah740

Cheetah740 Member

My dealer gave me their phone number for their location or HQ in California (310) 891-0222.

dylim likes this.
  15. Yamaboy

Yamaboy Active Member

Firmware update was released July 1. Per documentation;
    "A software update is now available for the Tech-Air ® 10 System, which includes optimization of the battery management."

G2G likes this.
  16. 418

418 Expert #59

So I got a Tech-Air 5, plugged it in and no lights?

Does it take a while to get the battery up and running or did I get a dud?

App wont connect either.

17. tdelegram

Plug in, connect waist belt and remove the little light/key fob thing and store it at least 20 feet away. Now try to connect the app, if that works when suit is fully charged connect the key fob thingy and let it charge

418 likes this.
  18. 418

418 Expert #59

No key fob thing. It's a Tech Air 5.

I guess I'll give it overnight.

19. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

When i got my tech-air 5 it took a solid 2-4 hours of charging before i got any response from it, leave it plugged in overnight and check back in the morning for the status lights and app connectivity. It's been rock-solid btw, charge it to 100% before a race weekend, ill use it for friday practice and saturday and sunday races, and ill leave the weekend with it still 95% charged or so. Just pulled it out of the closet and connected the flap to activate it just now to see what level it's sitting at after coming back from barber on july 4th. It's at 94%

418 likes this.
  20. 418

418 Expert #59

Just to update this, TechAir 5 dead as a door nail, out of the box.

I already ordered another one because I have no patience before sending the dead one back. This new one works fine, LED lights start flashing as soon as you plug it up.

So apparently quality control isn't just a Tech Air 10 issue.