1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDI...talk me into/out of it...

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Depends. Our 2009 Audi lost two door sensors, and one module on the steering rack. Those were drivable, although the steering wheel was off center on the latter. The steering rack was around $1k. I did the door sensors myself for around $140 each. The big one was the ECU went out and it wouldn’t start. Over $3k and weeks to get it coded and shipped from Germany.

The 2013 Touareg TDI has yet to get old enough or enough mileage to start in, but expect it to start in the next couple of years.

2. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

VW=over engineered pile of shit

TLR67 and bored&stroked like this.
  3. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I was a huge diesel proponent. Hell I still have a grand Cherokee diesel. With that being said I think the gasser technology has caught up in the power vs efficiency that diesels used to own.

Prime example is the new f150. 2.7 Ecoboost gets almost the same mileage and power as the 3.0 powerstroke. Higher cost of diesel offsets the slightly better mileage.

Gas commuter cars are only a few mpgs away from current diesel equivalents.

Not having to worry about glow plugs seizing in your heads, fuel filters, hard starts in winter, convoluted emissions equipment....there's something to be said for that.

To add, if we were talking about toyota or Honda diesel cars I'd reconsider. But to drive a VW cuz it's a diesel means you're still driving a VW. Eew.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

You never deviate from your multiple passenger passion!! :D

BigBird likes this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

There's something to be said for consistency :D

6. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I agree it'll be several more years before diesels emissions systems get good enough to not be a huge burden. However, turbocharged gas engines do NOT get the same MPG as similarly sized diesel engines. Look at edmunds long term testing. They've had 2 2.7EB F150s and neither have AVERAGED more than 17mpg despite EPA rating them at like 21-22 combined. Their ecodiesel ram (3.0) averaged 22mpg. I'm not saying it pays for itself in the short term, or even that it's worth the 'diesel' hassel at all, but saying that they achieve the same (or even similar) MPG is false.

6.7 cummins get considerably better mileage (especially loaded or pulling) than the 6.4 hemi v8 gas engine. Same with ford, and with chevy etc. But I've no bias. I for one would not pay another $4k for a 3.0l powerstroke diesel vs the fantastic (but not without fault) 3.5 ecoboost (or 5.0 v8) in the F150.

7. gsxr1000bill

gsxr1000bill Well-Known Member

Have a 15 passat TDI 6sp manual. Love it. Average 50k a year. Got 51 mpg to panama city and back running 80ish. Dealer changes oil every 10k and fuel filter every 20k. Have had a couple minor issues (sensors) but nothing major.

BigBird likes this.
  8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I work on just about everything and it all breaks. You just have to roll the dice. Some cars go a lifetime nearly without any major work, some on the same line have problems constantly. We bought a brand new Equinox a few years ago, had a porous transmission case casting. Took 4 times to remove and finally figure it out ( I wasn't impressed they just didn't replace the whole transmission after the second time) . I threatened lemon law and all of a sudden it was resolved.

I do have to say I've had multiple times were we needed a part directly from overseas and one time it took THREE months to get the part. The first one was incorrect even though the VIN was provided! What a shit show that was, and it wasn't anything we could have done, dealer or not it was out of our hands at that point.

BigBird likes this.
  9. Rebel635

I have a 2018 F150 2.7 Ecoboost Sport 4x4. I average 25mpg over the last 8k km. My friend has a 2015 2.7 ecoboost 4x4 and he gets similar mileage. I dont care what mags say....i'm convinced.

I agree on trucks who tow and HD diesels vs HD gas, hence why i specifically mentioned gas commuter cars being close.

2.7 ecoboost is a special beast IMO. nothing comes close to from gas side that has diesel like low end torque and good mpgs. Its why i bought it.

10. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

My wife had a 2012 Jetta TDI for a couple years before the shit hit the fan.
    I think we had about 30k miles on it and the AC Compressor started to go out so we sold it back with out hesitation.
    My only other complaint is the fuel filter changes are a real bitch if you don't have the computer tool. Otherwise you are busting out a spare battery, paper clips and removing the rear seats while trying to time everything and praying you dont fuck it up.

It got really good mileage though about 45 mpg everywhere. No idea if that is down now.

11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If I were looking for a new truck or van I'd go gas for sure. Only reason I'm even considering the TDI is the pipe dream of a do-it-all vehicle. Sure, other small gas commuters can get close to the same MPG, but they aren't going to tow like a manual TDI (3500 lbs with trailer brakes...not that I would tow that much). You guys are doing a pretty good job of talking me out of one, but I should go drive one so I stop wondering...

12. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I had been looking at GSW/JSW's for a while as well. I have a Jetta MKIV (2005 I think) that has about 250k miles on it. I drove it about 60k a year for a few years, and it was a great car. manual transmission, I towed bikes all the time, even two bike to CO and back (a 950 and 450) and still got 30+ mpg at 75+mph. Finally blew up the turbo but about to fix it and use it for errands for a while.

I have a 2005 sequoia and it's going on the market over the weekend. Great family car and for trips. Shit for gas mileage (15-16 on the freeway, 12-14 around town). But durable/bombproof and solid car. I put in a timing belt at 120k miles, I'm at 149k now. No issues at all except brakes/rotors, oil, air filters, general maintenance and tires. SAIS went out a while ago and I put in the kit to fix that, but other than that, they are great cars. They hold their value pretty well, since everyone seems to know they last a long time and work very well.

The main difference in the sportwagens is the earlier models are the Jetta SW, the 2015+ are the Golf Sportwagen. Slight differences, but also cosmetic. I liked the Golf version a bit better so was looking at those. Main thing I liked was the manual transmission option. You aren't supposed to tow with the DSG tranny but I know many that have, but I like the 6MT anyway. Before Dieselgate, I was a week away from ordering a GSW SEL 6MT just the way I wanted, but waited too long and missed out.

I have the .pdf's of the 2013 JSW and 2015 GSW sales brochures if you want copies just google it or send me your email in a PM and I'll send them along. Helps to know what options are on what versions if you are looking at used market. Again the wagons that are TDI's are holding their values pretty well. As are the Q7's.

instead of the wagon, I bought a friends Touareg TDI. 2006. v10.

bring on the jokes!!! loving it so far, picked it up in CT and drove it back to ATL Tuesday. Hard to keep the foot out of the go pedal with the torque. It's like my 1290 Super Duke of SUV's. Torque for miles and makes me grin. Might throw it on the dyno Saturday, the local VW shop has a 4wd dyno and is having an open house. should be in the low 300hp and 550tq at the wheels.

13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Don't do it. Diesels these days have so much emissions bullshit that they're being engineered out of existence. Besides a truck for towing, I can't see the value.

-2014 Passat 6 Speed TDI owner who's selling his back in a month or two to VW and doesn't ever plan on owning a diesel again (unless it's an RV)

14. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just incredibly misinformed then. That's great to hear, because all I've heard said otherwise (admittedly only magazines and forum "research"). 25mpg average from a full size pickup *unless stripper shortbed, single cab, 2wd* seems amazing.

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Whats the Pulling capacity?

16. Rebel635

Nope. Sport package with 20" rims and "offroad" tires, 4x4, tow package....its not a lariat, but its got all the bells and whistles i want.

17. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Been tossing around the idea of getting another TDI as well after seeing the market lately. I have an 06 Jetta TDI with DSG with 150k and have towed 2 bikes ~ 8k miles on an open trailer the past 18 months. Before this I had a 12 Passat TDI DSG and towed the same bikes and trailer probably 10k miles before selling it back to VW at 95k. Before that a 02 Jetta TDI 5sp with 240k miles and towed 2 bikes 20k miles. Other than clutch in 02 and timing belts it’s been just normal maintenance. All 3 cars have been tuned which actually helps fuel economy.

18. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

can you delete a TDI? Deleted diesels are awesome.

19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yes, you can.

If they were able to come up with the "fix" for mine I would've kept it and used the 48K warranty for a couple of years and then tuned the shit out of it, but alas the 2012-2014 Passat manuals were the only ones they couldn't fix.

All that being said, I still wouldn't ever buy another because of the crazy shit they do the car (mainly exhaust) to keep up with the EPA.

20. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

Just sold our 2014 Jetta tdi. Owned it for 4 years and roughly 80k miles. During that time I had to replace the NOX sensor, starter and the ac compressor was starting to act up (common problem). Overall a pretty good car. Great for commuting, I'd get an easy 42 to 45mpg. It's in no way an exciting car to drive, but would make a good do it all type vehicle. Don't buy the automatic otherwise you're in for the $600 plus dsg service every 40k, assuming you want to keep the warranty.

Regarding the fix, I experienced no difference at all in performance, don't even think I noticed a dip in mpg. The warranty with the fix is pretty good though, take a look on vw's site it covers a surprising amount of parts.