1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDI...talk me into/out of it...

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Seeing some of the "newly compliant" TDI's showing up for sale at what seems like good prices. I've had to do repairs on all 3 of my current vehicles in the last couple weeks and it's wearing on me... thinking of changing things up, getting rid of the Sienna, Grand Marquis, and maybe even the Sprinter. Looking at 2011-2014ish TDI Sportwagens with the 6 speed MANUAL. There's one at a local dealer- 2011 with 66K, asking $12K. Panoramic roof looks cool. Looking at adding airbags to rear springs and towing a small open trailer. Genius idea or should I take my own advice and look for a Sequoia (fuel mileage is really the only downside in my mind) or keep the Sprinter until I can afford another van and get a Lexus LS in place of the car and minivan? Discuss...

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Keep the Sienna, get rid of everything else :)

3. Tristan

The Mercury is going away in any scenario... I just replaced the fuel pump and filter, and it fired right up after 22 months of sitting on the street, but the front end needs a lot of work and it's starting to rust badly... having a third car is no longer worth the insurance and registration costs.

BigBird likes this.
  4. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

What's a TDI?

5. Tristan

Nope, it's passable as a daily driver but that's all.

6. Tristan

VW diesel

7. Tristan

8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

From the consensus of these type of threads, any of the german vehicles not under warranty are nice a wise decision. It does sound like you perform your own maintenance. So go for it!

9. Tristan

10. Tristan

I work on shit because I have to... I'd rather not. I'm fine with brakes, alternators, fuel pumps and the like, but have no desire to replace a timing belt.

BigBird and K51000 like this.
  11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It is the electronics that will be failing more than anything else. Some modules are not so bad to replace. Others are expensive and/or a complete PITA to get to. If you get one, buy a Ross-Tech VAGCOM to read and set the codes for all of the modules.

Canadian Bacon and BigBird like this.
  12. Tristan

I don't suppose my Autel 805 "all systems" reader would suffice? I'm guessing these failing modules would entail towing or some kind of limp mode... not appealing.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Most people love their TDI in any generation. VWs actually drive well, so you may actually like it. Worst case get a new Minivan or a GTI :)

14. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

TDI’s that have had “the fix” should come with a renewed factory warranty that started when “the fix” was performed on the vehicle.

BigBird likes this.
  15. Tristan

I thought the warranty only covered emissions related crap?

16. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

I’ve had several TDI’S. Loved all of them. My 2004 Jetta TDI would get an honest 49 mpg highway

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've had my LS for a week now and I'm loving the pimp ride. Of course my daughter informed me that I aged 20 years the day I bought it.

cha0s#242 and Sabre699 like this.
  18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

That fortunately includes not only the exhaust and DEF related stuff (if applicable) but also the ECU and fuel system, so not all bad.

19. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Workin' on the cars constantly but it's also a hobby instead of a PITA.
    You gotta go with how you feel or it will bug you to death. If it's TDI then do it.

20. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

The fix should mean reduced gas mileage. They might not be much better then gas version with the downside of your hand smelling like diesel every time you use a fuel pump.