1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tax on miles driven coming

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by used2Bfast, Mar 25, 2011.

1. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I've heard of this since about 09. Today MSM is now getting everyone used to hearing about again. Figure since every vehicle would first require a gov tracking device for such, we could ALL be immediately tracked as well(that 2 birds thing). I'd have to guess it also wouldn't be too far down the road, where Big Brother tracked you going 72 in a 55(via some kind of Onstar system)..and automatically deducted it from your "Cashless electronic account"(which their already pushing for as well) or at least, just send you a bill, not unlike what happens with the traffic-light cameras currently.

Also, for us that live in rural areas(or drive long distances to races), everything and anything requires long drives despite having light traffic during such(even tho we're not stuck idling for long periods in urban traffic).

They say it'll all go towards highway maint/renewal.. Do we really believe that would in fact happen? And I thought thats what all our other taxes were for in the first place.

Obviously this is down the road, but I fear its coming eventually in some form or fashion.

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/UI-Study-Drivers-Would-Accept-New-Kind-of-Highway-Tax-118203839.html

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/03/better_think_twice_about_takin.html

http://www.favstocks.com/old-taxes-...t-themselves-in-a-more-intrusive-way/2538936/

For Oregon.
    http://www.katu.com/news/business/115109709.html

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. vance

vance *

They may try it in congested urban areas, but it will never fly in rural areas. Local politicians will be strung up if they don't fight it with every last breath.
    Just remember that any of this shit that YOU think is shit, isn't a law yet because there are others that won't allow it. :up:

Now, having said that, nothing will surprise me when the fed money runs out and the states' true budget shortfalls start showing through. There will be cuts and taxes galore this year, imo.

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

4. vance

vance *

As far as the tracking deal, this is totally off subject but I was listening to Cam & Co. last night and heard this story. A quick google search popped up multiple articles:

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2011/03/24/state-patrol-angers-gun-rights-advocates

A search for a missing AR-15 from the Washington State Police prompted them to send out a statewide request for all assault rifle sales since June in the entire state. Gun stores basically said, f*ck off. Are you really gonna buy a car that has a tracking system in it? I'm not.

Point is, they're not going to put you in jail because you ride a 20 yr old motorcycle without a tracking device. You'll just pay more to register it when you get tags. Everything is a compromise.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I guess tax on fuel isn't enough. Gotta catch the hybrids and electrics.

6. vance

vance *

fixed

7. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I can see them doing the same as tag renewals, emissions, car imspections, etc..if you don't have a working tracking device, your drivers license and/or car tags are immediately taken 'off line' until you comply.

I could also easily see the tracking devices spun as safety monitoring devices..just like Onstar is now. The ol .."if it saves one life"..its worth it thing.

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I was at GM about 15 years ago and the government was pushing for the ability to shutdown your car and more then. At that time the car companies were fighting it but with them being owned by and staffed by the government that could end. Currently any Government Motors car with OnStar can do what you stated plus more. They advertise it as good since they can disable your car against a thief. But trust them at your own peril. Imagine you get a DUI and your car is disabled for the duration. Or you are late on your taxes. They determine your car is to old and emits to much carbon or ......

The best way to trust government is to severely restrict its power, something that is not the case today.

9. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

sounds like the tracking device that Progressive has to monitor driving habits for "discounts"

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Newer GM cars can be stopped at any point right now using On Star. :up:

11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

http://commonlaw.findlaw.com/2009/0...ad-of-gas-use-raise-questions-anger-some.html

12. sheepofblue

and tracked and unlocked for a search and you can determine speed and...

I have always owned GM cars but I doubt I will own a government motors car

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Logically, your idea is most likely to happen. Because of the fact that the Government would have to retroactively go back and require mileage indicators installed on all vehicles that plan will never fly. They'll just tack on an amount to the registration for everybody's cars.

Now, that's something that might eventually fly.

14. vance

vance *

States are more broker than advertised.:( If spending is cut, and I do believe it's necessary, it's gonna be painful. I think we'll see all kinds of nifty new state and local taxes like this one over the next few years.

15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

16. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

I'm getting to old to start losing my rights. Who do I shoot first?

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The feds want us to be more fuel efficient, we comply. Bend over. The feds want folks to smoke less, we comply. Bend over. Hmmmm

18. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

If it calms your fears any I don't think this is accurate. A GM car sends a location signal periodically. If you push a button it sends one immediately. So you are not "tracked" but your position is updated periodically. Small comfort but that's all I can offer.

19. sheepofblue

Possibly but it is an active system so the odds of them being able to reach down and set the button to on is almost 100%. If not I bet they can push s/w updates that will 'enhance' things.

You see it is not that I am paranoid it is that I know how I would do it :beer:

20. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

Not on how he feels, more like which special interest group has the $$$ to push their agenda. Sadly, no different than ANY politician.