1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tack welding trailer wheel studs.

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Mar 18, 2020.

1. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Don't know how but the studs started spinning. Can these be tack welded from the back side and be good to go?

20200318_133450.jpg

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You'll make that cast hub brittle. You can braze them though.

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Hubs are cheap

tony 340, sdg, busa99 and 1 other person like this.
  4. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

If they are that loose, try installing new studs first.

That's cheaper than replacing the hubs.

5. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Let's just say that hubs are cheap-ish. I can go that route but I'm a fix it if you can sort of person. Didn't think about the material.

Edit: The "slots" on the hub that the knurled lugs grab on to are worn smooth from the spinning.

6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Fully greased idler hubs are $40. It not worth replacing bearings anymore.........just swap the hub.

Boman Forklift and busa99 like this.
  7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Mess around trying to fix the studs and when you are on the side of the hwy with a flat they will spin.

Only time I welded them was to get the wheel off to change the hub.

8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Possibly, but then you get the same cheap-ass bearings (made out of hardwood) you got the first time around.

9. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Makes studs weak also. Then they break.

10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Replace hub, but first install better quality bearings?

11. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Yup.

Or, at least check the new bearings. You might luck out and have good bearings.

12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I saw a Bass fisherman several years ago..his boat trailer had a spare..complete with a hub..I was curious as to it..he said..One big nut is easier to change than 5 lug nuts at 2am on the side of the Interstate...I was Impressed...makes perfect sense.

13. baconologist

If you replace it, you’ll have a spare you can futz with rebuilding slowly

14. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Must be an F1 fan, not a nascar guy :)

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That’s a great idea, I never thought of.

tony 340 likes this.
  16. Dan Dubeau

I never thought of it either. Having a spare hub isn't a bad idea either. I DID use an old hub as a spare holder on a boat trailer, but would do no good roadside as I welded it to a piece of tubing lol. I just bought a 16' flat deck a few months ago, and a new spare holder is one of the few things I need to redo on it. I'll be using a hub for it now but will keep it useable.

17. baconologist

If your axle has bolt on spindles......

18. Dan Dubeau

You're right. Had the boat trailer hub in my brain. They're probably different as they've got brakes, and to be honest I've never been into a trailer hub with brakes before so I've got no idea what kinda hub is on there. This is my first "big boy" trailer

19. baconologist

No, what I’m saying is....
    If your trailer has bolt on spindles. Get an extra and use that to mount your hub / drum, backing plate, and spare. That way you have every part that can get damaged on the road.

Dan Dubeau likes this.
  20. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Got these from etrailer after speaking with them and am not sure they are the correct ones. The new one is wider and does not sit in the recess of the wheel. Although I don't know what the numbers mean, the old one is marked 8-259 and MTA 6 and the new one is 8-258 and MTA 15.
    I will be talking to them tomorrow but wanted some input.

resize 1.jpg resize 2.jpg resize 3.jpg

View attachment 168732 View attachment 168733 View attachment 168734