1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tack welding trailer wheel studs.

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Mar 18, 2020.

1. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Get bigger rims to match new hub. Then put on bigger tires too :D

3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

If the studs are spinning and they cant be welded, what about epoxying them in place?

4. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I saw this while shopping on etrailer and called them. The listing title says for 2,200 lb axle, but description below it says for 2,000 lb axle. I told them everything that was printed on the back of my hub, the capacity of the axle, and the size of my wheel, which I bought from them coincidentally. My existing hubs are EZ Lube and I'd like to keep that feature. The same product in EZ lube is listed but the title and the description both say 2,000 lb axle. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hu...58-5UC1-EZ.html#exp-productdetails=.questions

The original rims were 13" and I sized up to 14" when I got new tires. I did try to epoxy which shattered the moment I applied torque.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

There's 2 different hubs for the 2000/2200 axles as you've already discovered. The smaller are for 8 - 10 inch wheels, the bigger are for 12 / 13's.

6. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I never physically checked my axle to see if it is indeed a 2,200 lb axle, not sure how I would tell. The cert of origin says 2,200 GVWR and website I printed the specs from (back in 2008) says 2,200 lb axle. It's a Cargo Pro sold through Thule and the Googles for me did not turn up anything.

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Hey is that a small crack in the rim in the 12 oclock position in the OP???

I'd def dbl check with the dealer before mounting those hubs, I'd think you'd want it flush fitting like the OEM.

8. Banditracer

The spindles / hubs are the same either way. Usually the Torflex axle is rated at 2200, a conventional spring is 2000. Only difference in the hubs is for wheel sizes, I think the 8/10 inch wheel hub has a 5.5 inch flange, the 10 /12 is 6.5. Don't over think it, that's all there is to it. You need the smaller hub so it drops down into the wheel like the original.

9. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

That makes sense as I do have a Torflex axle therefore the 2,200 lb rating like you say. I will talk to a tech tomorrow and post up. Thanks guys.

10. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Saw that myself in the pic and checked. Not a crack. Dirt.

XFBO likes this.
  11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

The ez-lube just means there's a zirk on the end of the spindle.

Only difference in the hub's would be a solid dust cover or one with a gromet to access the grease fitting.

12. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

"Oh, you have a torsion axle? We don't have any hubs for torsion axles". Yes, that was the answer I got from etrailer. They are emailing me a return label for the incorrect hubs they sent to me. What's my move?

13. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Now that you say that, (and knowing exactly what the hub and spindle look like - "zirk" on the end of the spindle and the hole drilled in the spindle right behind (towards the inside) of the inner bearing) it totally makes sense. That may help in my search.

14. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Look up Redneck Trailer supply. I just replaced all brake assemblies, drums and bearings on the Dexter torsion axles on my trailer. They had everything in stock and lucky for me, there is a store near by.

Edit: https://www.redneck-trailer.com

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  15. Banditracer

That's who I get all my trailer parts from, I didn't know they were selling retail now, I'm a dealer. Anyway, use these guys, they know their shit and if they don't have it, it's probably not available.

wsmc42 likes this.
  16. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

17. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I'll call Redneck tomorrow. Pretty disappointed with etrailer, at least their product knowledge.

18. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

19. Banditracer

No it doesn't, as long as it sets down in the wheel properly.