1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tach Problem

Discussion in 'General' started by EXKid, May 7, 2002.

1. EXKid

EXKid Well-Known Member

My tach seems to be registering twice what the RPMs are. Any ideas on what causes this?

2. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

It must have been shipped from a different time zone that doesn't observe daylight savings time. Turn it back 2 hours and you should be just fine. ;)

3. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

Isnt your bike a twin?
    I think you got a tack for a 4 cyl bike!:D
    /Swede

4. EXKid

EXKid Well-Known Member

Its actually stock on the bike. I don't know if it's picking up both coils somehow or what but I decided to try and fix it before I shell out the unbelievable amount of money for a new one.
    No Daylight Savings Time bypass/observe switch on this one.
    Did my first trackday/ school this weekend and had the thing pegged at 14,000 in the turns. It was kinda funny.:cool:

5. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

I don't see this happening with the stock tach and wiring, so I'm guessing you (or previous owner) have tried to do some creative wiring?

I had that problem with an aftermerket tach on a TL once. I was using the coil wire as pick-up and it was "double-timing" the rpm's. If you follow the wiring diagram you will find the tach wire from the ecm... use that.

hope it helps..

ps still need that job, now more than ever ;)

6. wherewebelong

wherewebelong Well-Known Member

Check the year

I had a late model tach and tried to use it on a pre-94 bike. The tach read 50% of revs. They plug in but something isnt right in the circuitry. I just used as in on mine but if yours is double my guess you are using an old model tach on a newer ignition.