1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 water in oil

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Zebco, Mar 28, 2021.

1. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I've used the manual expansion style freeze plugs on car engines before, the kind that are expanded with a bolt. Can the same be done on bike engines?

Edit: Had one that was in a motor 5-6 years before I sold it. Never leaked a drop.

Zebco likes this.
  2. Zebco

Zebco Member

A smarter version of myself would have kept such a useful item. Dont have it.

3. Zebco

Zebco Member

I like that idea, but 16mm might be a tough one to find

4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

That's about 5/8". They make them that size.

5. Zebco

Zebco Member

My google-fu is not yielding anything. I have one more unmolested spears plug left, so I guess i’ll try grinding it down to shorten it like Zoran said and smack the piss out of it. Hopefully the brakleen bath doesnt hurt anything.

I’ve read through many threads on this and it seems there is no consensus on using a sealer for freeze plugs. @TWF2 what do you think?

6. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I use sealant, light coat of same one I use for putting cases together.

7. Zebco

Zebco Member

Well, I took your advice, ground the new plug down a bit, and she seated GOOD this time.

Unfortunately, I still have a massive leak somewhere and I'm all out of patience. I bought the SV for cheap racing, and I refuse to throw any more cash at it. Im scrapping this motor.

Drain your water for the winter, folks.

Thanks for all your input, @TWF2

8. Zebco

Zebco Member

Final post in this thread, again, just in case anyone having similar issues needs to reference this in the future.

I should have listened to @Boman Forklift and his suggestion to do the radiator pressure test. Had I done this, I would have found that there was a small hole in one of the rear freeze plugs that could not be seen, only heard. Yanked it out, popped my only remaining spears plug in there, and lo and behold, the system holds pressure again. I will be replacing the remaining 2 plugs for safe measure, but I should have just done this test from the start. The $40 cheap tool to do this test would have saved me 2 solid weekends of wrenching and double that amount in gaskets/parts, had I just listened.

Thanks again guys.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Sorry you had so many problems, but glad you got it fixed.

I wrenched on my bikes for a lot of years and never used one of these pressure testers until I bought my forklift company.