1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650-water in front cylinder

Discussion in 'Tech' started by some guy #2, Jul 6, 2013.

1. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Riding my naked SV in a rain/wet race I discovered the front cylinder spark plug was wet and had water around the plug. I've dried it out as best as possible and replaced the plug but is there a good way to keep this from happening again?

Maybe the boot over the plug wire can be replaced so it fits tighter?

Is there anything else I can look for while cleaning this all up?

2. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

There's a drain hole that gets clogged.

3. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

So you actually have water in the cylinder or just around the plug/boot?

4. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Just the plug/boot. The spark plug wire was wet and the threads of the plug were wet/cruddy.

I cleaned out the drain hole but looking at it today I saw a lot of water even after sitting overnight.

5. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

My 05 had that problem. It would actually cause the front cylinder to ground out/misfire. I just gooped the plug boot with some red rtv and so far so good.:eek:

6. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I've had that same problem. Racing in the rain kicks up a lot of dirt, so you get dirty water clogging the drain hole. Clean that regularly. Also, apply a liberal amount of dielectric grease inside the plug boot. I usually use compressed air after every wet race to blow up any residual moisture.