1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 newbie gearing ???

Discussion in 'General' started by RoadRacerX, Jun 24, 2002.

1. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Please post the recommended ss sv650 gearing for the following tracks:

Road Atlanta
    CMP
    Roebling
    TGPR
    VIR

Thanks!

2. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

These are with a stock motor with a pipe and jet kit.
    15/45 or 14/43
    14/46
    15/46
    14/46-47
    15/46

3. Tracy S

Tracy S Well-Known Member

Sorry to but in....

I needed this info also. Does anyone know how many links to use in a 520 chain on the SV?

Also, can you use the masterlink or does it HAVE to be riveted on?

4. Martin M

Martin M Former BRP Rider

Re: Re: SV650 newbie gearing ???

Different riders different gearings.
    Get yourself a 45/46/47 rear and 14/15 countershaft sprockets and find your favorite.

RA- ?
    CMP 15/47
    Roebling 15/45
    Tally 14/45
    VIR 15/44-45

5. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Re: Sorry to but in....

RIVOT! Dropping chains due to crappy masterlinks is not an epidemic, but it almost killed my brother and created the TSR Injury Fund. So, please RIVOT.

Links depends on what your min and max gearing will be, and how short you desire the wheel base.

The way I determined the link were: I put on my Max gearing of 15/46 and pushed the rear tire as far forward in the swingarm as possible. Then, string the new chain onto the sprockets. From there, remove unneeded links that allows the installation of the Rivoted link.

6. Martin M

Martin M Former BRP Rider

Re: Sorry to but in....

Same # of links as stock. Use a rivet link and if you don't have the riveting tool just use (carefully) two hammers.
    I got a clip master link on my chain that has the pins massaged with hammer + some RTV sealant on it. One of my friends put a chain on his bike this weekend (clip master link) and the chain broke (clutch pushrod broken, seal damaged). He was lucky that it didn't broke the case.

7. The Kid

The Kid Well-Known Member

Most definitely use the rivet type. At CMP I used the clip type and my chain flew off while I was catching a down shift into 1. I broke the clutch pin, damaged my seal, lost the ball bearings out of the clutch mechanism. This was caused because I was too lazy to put the rivet type on.

8. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

IF you choose not to rivet the chain please put the clip on properly, safety wire and also smear the clean clip with RTV/silicone.

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

110 links is standard on the naked SV, SV-S comes with 108. Use 110 for the most gearing options.

CMP- I liked 15/46
    TGPR- 14/47 or 14/48 (I've only run it counter clockwise).

As for rivet/clip, I always used to say "I've never had a problem with the clips", but last month I lost a clip (it was wired on). The link is still pressed on, so it didn't come apart. Now it's wired AND siliconed!