1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV Upgrade Path

Discussion in 'Tech' started by OlDirtyBrian, Apr 4, 2004.

1. OlDirtyBrian

OlDirtyBrian Well-Known Member

I have a SS legal '99 SV that i want to turn into a Superbike. What order should i do the upgrades in? I don't have unlimited funds so bang for the buck is somewhat important.

2. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

I wonder if you should consider selling our Supersport SV and purchase a Superbike? That may be the cheapest most effective method. I'm just thinking of all the money I spent on my SV and I did almost all the work myself.

It is cheaper to purcase a set up race bike than build one.

Just a thought. I've done it both ways.

Take Care,

3. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

Suh-spen-sion (penske / ohlins, F3 internals, or maybe a GSX-R front end)

Engine (overbore, degreed cams, head decking, maybe strengthen up the bottom end or a falicon crank)

Flatslides (+ tons of tuning, maybe even ram air)

Lightening (aftermarket subframe, if it ain't needed take it off / unbolt it)

Practice, practice, practise.

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

That's the best reason to keep it SS. Put the money towards suspension, tires and track time. There's a lot of hidden costs with SB's, both time and money. You'll go through tires faster, chase jetting a lot more, have to do more maintenence.
    That said, cams are probably first thing to do.

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Re: Re: SV Upgrade Path

I would take the torque over the top end first .. but that's just me.

:beer:

6. Parr

Parr Well-Known Member

SV Superbike

If you really want to build a superbike see the recent Roadracing world article - cams and flatslides.

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Yup, what Gene said.Why would you spend all kinds of $$$$$ on a 99.Sell it, turn it back into a street bike, and buy Caco's that's a bullit.

8. OlDirtyBrian

OlDirtyBrian Well-Known Member

Thats what gave me the idea. I was thinking i could get around 85hp with some good cams and flatslides.

Just to clarify. The bike has everything done except the motor. Of course more power would require more suspension work but at least i wouldnt have to mess with anything else.

9. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I got 87 out of my bike last year.MR9,Yosh Cams,2mm over J&E,ported, but with modified CVs.
    If you are going that route, do not waste your money on cams, unless you are doing adjustable sprockets also.
    I did not have them, that and flatslides might have brought it to 90hp

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

No way yours was 87 hp. Show me the dyno chart. :Poke:

ODB, if you're looking to get 80+ hp out of your SV, buy Caco's, or one that's already built. Like Gary said, it's a much more efficient way to spend your money.

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

The guy who bought it.I won't say his name, for he might not want it to known, in his 1st WERA race finished quite well. It was on the old 4&6 site, but I belive it's gone.When you rode it, it was nowhere near right.And it was not breathing MR9.

12. kneespeed

kneespeed Well-Known Member

You better believe it, that bike hauls!!

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Thanks,Huey did not work on it:eek:

14. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

YOu know... I wasn't saying anything but:
    How did you know that bike was so fast when you could never complete a full lap on it?
    I heard it had as much horsepower as what ever truck was pulling the crash trailer....

:D

15. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

The only time that bike was ever on the crash trailer was at Barber.I won't embarrase myself by saying why I did not properly tighten the rear axle:eek: .And I did only 2 sprints before that, last season.Jackass:eek: