1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV specific Newb ?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by pjdoran, Feb 13, 2010.

1. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

There is a slim chance I may squeeze in a race or two this season. Question is...I've never had a clutch issue doing track days (no standing starts). My clutch is stock with roughly 17k miles on it. It's crisp and has never even hinted at slippage. Should I have a new set of plates and disks on hand for a 3 race weekend?
    Secondary question...do I need anything beyond plates and disks, i.e. basket, springs?
    I don't want any DNFs if I manage to pull off a weekend so I will bring all necessary parts. First gen if it matters. It's relatively stock, just an 03' cam swap with exhaust and jetting.
    Thanks

2. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

If it's gen one, it takes twenty minutes to pull the plates and check them. For what it is worth they last a long time. I do suggest getting Barnett or EBC springs. If it is not slipping on the street you should be fine. But if it is gen one those springs are olddddddddddddddd.

3. pjdoran

It's a track only bike now, but point taken about the age of the 02' springs currently in there.
    Not likely I will check it as no signs of trouble. If I pull the cover it's getting new bits.
    Response 1 confirms what I anticipated, have parts on hand if you want to finish.
    Is the stock basket suspect? Should I have a fresh basket on hand?
    Thanks

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  4. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

It's really easy to do. I don't run stock springs on the track, I run half stock half Barnett. I gurantee your springs are old and nowhere near spec. Which means if the plates are somewhat worn you can find out the hard way in a race. I can pull cover, clutch and replace in less than an hour. Who knows on the basket. Street bike should be fine, track bike that you've flogged three seasons yeah the basket is notched.

5. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

It can't hurt to have spares but personally I don't even think of my clutch unless it gives me some kind of indication it's near the end of it's life span. I figure it'll probably slip a few times and get me through the weekend before it's totally useless. But then I'm not a mechanic and pretty cheap.:D

6. proechel1

proechel1 SV-RACER

If you even have a concern of you're clutch's life expectency I would change it before you go to the track. At least it would be in a relaxed envioronment and not rushing on a race day, there's enough rushing doing other things. 17,000 miles on a clutch, I think you have gotten you're money out of it by now. Not only that you will have more time to inspect the basket and other related parts. Just my two cents. Been there done it and it sucks! Sweating you're ass off, half in leathers, between races. Yeah lots of fun!

7. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I agree. I have been riding SV's on the track for a decade, and had a slipping clutch twice.
    It's been years since that happened. If you can't take an hour to check the clutch don't be upset when you get to the track and discover you have problems and can't fix them at the track because you forgot a part.

8. twilkinson3

twilkinson3 see god...brake....

Hey PJ my 1st gen sv needed springs last year and the plates were just fine - thing has been launched numerous times at this point

9. pjdoran

I'm ordering up a kit with springs and plate/discs. Thanks for all the input.

10. proechel1

proechel1 SV-RACER

Thats probaly a good idea. I like to live by the KISS philosophy! Keep It Simple Stupid (that is, when I remember, LOL) I like to just add gas and go at the track if at all possible.

11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

+1 on the springs, the Barnetts are much stiffer than stock. Run half+half or all Barnett.