1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV Sharkskinz help needed....

Discussion in 'General' started by Jack Brock, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

I got a set of Sharkskinz second hand for my '03, and didn't get any of the mounting hardware. It fits up easily, but I am unsure about the rear most mount where the upper and lower come together. The Sharkskinz site shows a bracket(which I didn't get). Is this bracket for their street stuff, or is it used in race applications. If it is used for the race stuff, what is the length of the bracket?

Thanks in advance for the help:up:

2. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

Make one. it's cheaper!:cool:

3. el_guapo

el_guapo Well-Known Member

is your bike the standard or the S? the S is the one with the bracket i believe youre speaking of. if you dont have it then what xsr said :beer:

4. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I think they've changed the Sharkskinz slightly since my set was made, but I don't have the bracket either on my '03.

My upper is secured at the fairing bracket, on either side of the windscreen and at two points, on either side of the tank, from stock mounts that come out of of the upper part of the frame.

The lower is secured to the upper via 3 D-Ring fasteners (on each side and is zip-tied to the bottom of the frame on the left side, underneath the foot peg. That's it.

Edit - mine is an S model...

5. mille52

mille52 Old, Slow and Not Crabby

I drilled the frame and put a small bolt for the bottom mount on each side

6. Jack Brock

Mine is the S model, and this is racebodywork if I didn't make that clear. Check out the second picture down on this link:
    http://www.sharkskinz.com/instsv650s03.htm
    I can make this bracket, just wanted to know if they use is with the racebodywork, and if so, what the length is.

7. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I didn't have a 2ng gen, but if that were my bike, I'd hang it w/o that bracket and see how stiff it all is. It might be good to go w/o it, and I don't think I'd like to see the result of a crash w/ that bracket there...it would punch right through that area of fairing I'd think (unless frame sliders protected it).

8. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

:stupid:

That's one reason why I don't use it... Second reason is that I tend to crash a lot. :eek:

9. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Jack, when did you get an SV? Going to run the GP stuff this season? I will be running a superbike SV along with my R6 so I hope to see ya on the grids!

-Nick

10. Jack Brock

Good point, I crash a lot too:eek:

It is stiff enough with out the brackets. I actually got to thinking about it because I've heard of the lowers dragging, and the set I got definately has. I was wondering if these brackets would pull in the lower enough to where it wouldn't drag.

May not matter, because that is a great point about crashing.

If anybody does have a length on the brackets, I'd appreciate it.

11. Jack Brock

Hey Nick,

I got the SV at the end of 2005. Its SS spec, but I'll be running
    SB and LwtTwins with it. I hope to do most or all of the GP series, including the team challenge on an older R6. You guys planning to do the TC? Look forward to seeing you on the grid:up:

Know anything on Hastings(will it be ready for this year)?

Later,

Jack

12. Spooner

Are you going expert next year??

Hastings I believe is supposed to be opening in July...

SV is a blast eh? I raced the one owned by my shop at the last CRA round at MAM just for kicks and LOVED it :up: I also picked up an '04 R6 that is pretty fun as well.. I will be doing all the GP stuff except RA..

-Nick

13. Jack Brock

No to expert- I didn't qualify.

I did 4 races last year, 3 my first year, so I'm not sure I'm ready. I just haven't had the budget to get serious with it. This year should be the best budget-wise and I'm hoping the SV is cheaper to run. I won't do RA either, but hopefully everything else. I'm hoping for a good amatuer class of SVs, if not, I'll ask to bump to expert if the speed is there.

14. Spooner

That sucks. I'm like you-did 5 or 6 weekends a year and had to bump this year. The double points round rack up the points pretty quick. When I ran the SV with CRA it was as an amature and there was basically NO competition-even the experts were pretty slow.. I hope the CCS guys will be a bit faster! I had only ridden the SV once at a trackday before I raced it, and its sprung WAY too stiff for me so I can't wait to do some setup work on it.

-Spoon

15. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Ditto! That's exactly how I mounted the sharkskinz to my '03 SV-S. The good part is it clears the full M4 exhaust system quite nicely.