1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV forks

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dragginass, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I've read some places to just drill out the damping holes, change the springs, and the oil, and that no further parts are needed.

So, is it worth it or not to buy the emulators? Anyone run them both way?

Thanks,
    Shane

2. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

My vote is yes on the emulators.

Without them you're relying on the oil viscocity to do to much in too many different areas. With the emulators there's some adjustability that isn't entirely dependant on pure viscosity (compression).

And when you say drill out the dampning holes do you mean the compression dampning? W/ no emulator in there it would sure be nice and boingy. Good for 3 rd gear bounce up wheelies!

BUT this is of course based upon a need for better suspension. I don't think ANYONE should ever ride stock dampning rod style forks in any type of track condition.
    However, there's a percentage of people that with stock dampning rods, a bit heavier of a fluid (20 - 25 wt depending on brand), new springs and properly set sag numbers is really all they need.
    Most will require the emulators.
    And there's a select few that will need to put some cartridges in the tubes...
    And even a select fewer that will need those cartdridges to be Ohlins superbike... But if that's you... You need to upgrade bikes! hahaha

3. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

I've ridden 2 bikes, back to back, that were identical except for emulators in one. I thought that they made a VERY slight difference when cranked way over in turn that had some rippled pavement. Unless you're looking for that last 1/10 to beat Bradley with, I don't think they're worth it.

4. Strick

Strick Good to be king

If the only thing that was done was installing emulators then you would not see a difference. You have to modify the damper rod to feel the effect of the emulator. If you leave the stock holes then you are still using them to control the damping.

5. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm aware of that. :rolleyes: They were installed correctly.

6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Man, I've always thought all of the above were pretty much mandatory and a given. Springs, emulators and do the work on the damper rods.

I ordered all of the above and still don't have the bike! :)

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Yeah, but you still have 5 weeks before Rd 1.

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Wanted to hit VIR this weekend. Needed some practice before the Cycle Jam.