1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV Carburetors (MB a little help please...)

Discussion in 'General' started by GStar, Apr 11, 2002.

1. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

Can anyone offer me any information on aftermarket carbs for a SV 650? Are they necessary if you flow/port the heads? The stock head flows extreeeeemly well already, I'm suspecting if you port the head the stock carbs will not keep up? Or will they? What kind of gains have some of you experienced with aftermarket carbs? And dog-gonnit how much are they?
    Every day I wonder why I coulden't have fallen in love with a cheaper sport...tennis maybe, or perhaps basketball.

2. 3-dave

3-dave Well-Known Member

3. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

Thanks 3-Dave but I guess my really trying to determine the relationship between ported heads and the stock carbs. It is almost certain that they're goiong to be a limiting factor (the stock carbs), I'm trying to determine just how limiting they're goin to be. And on the flip side, how benifical a set of flatslides would be.

4. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

come'on where are all you SV superbike terds hidding today? Info i need info.

5. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Matt from MB motorsports says use em..so does Steve Keener...so does the guy who flowed my heads...
    But it doesn't matter because they are backordered at SUDCO( the importer) so get in line behind me.....(41sBTW)

6. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

You know how the SV has that little bit of throttle lag when you try to gun it out of the corner. The Flatslides fix that, and give you a lot more grunt(to the point of wheelspin) out of the corner.

But, is it worth $700 + Dyno Tuning Time to ya?

7. Kendall

Kendall Well-Known Member

41mm FCR's worth about 4 hp on my modified SV engine don't know about power increases on a stock motor....Frank at MB would know.

8. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

I have heard and confirmed, that flat slides on a stock SV (piped and jetted) with Race gas can give you as much as 78 HP on the dyno. I have also heard and seen many people port and deck the SV head, only resulting in power loss and engine damage (decking). Perhaps poor port jobs...you make the call. IMHO the SV head flows nicely from the factory. Most likely, I will have a motor built by KDR with 700 kit, stud kit, stronger rods, and yosh cams.... no decking of the head and no valve job or porting. That motor with flat slides should put out between 88 and 92 hp depending on fuel.

9. STORMIN

STORMIN Guest

10. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Better send the crank to Falicon also.